Follow

It is by Dasha Kiper and contains "stories of dementia,the caregiver,and the human brain". What a book this is!! It has helped me understand more than anything the complex emotions I felt as a caregiver to my demented mom for four years. It has been so healing to me by answering so many doubts,fears,and guilt I had as a caregiver. Please read this book (can get from library) if you are a caregiver!! And you might finally understand better the reasons we struggle so much as caregivers 💛

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My husband sets the audio book up on my computer.
Good to understand the struggle finally, this is going to help me be a better person towards others.

I like the Tylenol explanation. It is scientifically known that Tylenol decreases empathy-if I have that right. Knowing this, if you are acutely suffering from the pain of empathy (mass murders, world-wide disasters, so many ill in a nursing home, your loved one hates you, there is a starving kitten in the road), maybe it would help to become less empathetic for awhile?
(0)

My mom had Parkinson’s disease and developed dementia in her later years.

I wish that I had known more about dementia before my experiences with caregiving for my mom.

Thanks for recommending a book to help people on this forum.
(1)

Thank you Annie for this book recommendation.My library does not carry it yet (on order)...but this book seems like something I will want to own, and will probably read and reread. I just ordered a copy. The science of the brain has fascinated me always, it seems. I look forward to learning more about my sister's dementia, and (hopefully) gaining greater insight into my own caregiver reactions and behaviors. Thanks again!
(2)

Thank you. I enjoy reading a great deal. My mother passed away on April 29th. Sometimes I wonder if I should read something that takes me back. I still visit this site as it always provides great insight and I like many of the posters. In a way I have been set free yet lingering thoughts come from time to time. I try to tell myself I did the best I could by my mother. I have a specialty of being hard on myself yet I could not have prevented an unexperienced aid from dropping my mother breaking both her femurs which led to a long decline. Then a bedsore developed which only grew worse despite daily treatment. I was able to move her to a better facility last September. She entered hospice in December. There was a big improvement in the last facility. Neither her room or her had any had unpleasant odors. The overall hygiene was very good. She was on a waiting list for a few months before a room became available. At the end I always told her I loved her and gave her a kiss after each visit. I provided reading material which she still could do. I cleaned and trimmed her nails weekly. Honestly I can't say I wish I was ever visiting her again as those visits declined and it was sad to see the condition of many residents despite receiving good care. Anyway just my rant.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter