Follow

A couple of my friends are visiting the area. They are 68ish and over weight. She is a nurse and he is a communicable disease MD. He has congestive heart failure, from smoking - which he gave up 15 years ago. But, he has to watch his salt. When he starts retaining water, he gets really surly at people. For example, he couldn't join the health club for their rental home, because the club didn't have the correct paper work, from the home owner. Doc acted like it was the end of the world. (He wouldn't work out if he was getting paid for it.) So, that was corrected and they signed up. He has been once, in 3 weeks. Then, he started criticizing my 4 yo granddaughter, because she ate chicken nuggets. He had seen a program on how they were made. Also, he looked up Papa Murphy's Pizzas and declared them off limits because of the salt content. Now, I wouldn't mind so much, if he was just eating a healthy diet and was exercising but he is 5'8" and 300 pounds. He weighs constantly, to control his salt and he takes diuretics.

I am thinking that my mother, who had some heart congestion diagnosed at age 92, could suffer from this same thing. All she was eating (prior to the nursing home) was McDonalds and other fried foods.

Diet is so important. My mother's health improved 100% once she was eating balanced meals.

Does this feel familiar to anyone else?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Sure, nutrition can be therapeutic, especially when poor nutrition or eating choices are causing the problems. A person with frequent high or low blood sugar episodes will feel better when the blood sugars are stabilized, through diet, exercise, and/or drug treatment.

A person who is retaining fluid and feeling uncomfortably bloated is apt to be less than cheerful and pleasant. Getting the fluid under control may well improve his personality!

Food has many emotional and social aspects as well. Being served meals regularly is one of the benefits of being in a care center. Most of us associate being fed with being cared for, with hospitality, with family and friends. Going from eating mostly easy-to-prepare junk food on an irregular schedule to being offered tasty meals on a regular schedule can improve one's outlook as well as provide better support for the body.

An adult who criticizes a four-year-old who isn't his responsibility is more than rude. He is insensitive and too full of himself! Whether that kind of defect would be improved if he had a better diet himself is hard to say. :D
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter