Follow

There is something worse than a bull in a china shop. My 104 year old father in the linen closet! GEES. I had everything so nicely folded, sorted, arranged, and he created total chaos. Ok, so it's unfair to expect a male to know the difference between a duvet cover and sheet....but is it asking to much to put a friggin bandaid on if you have a wound that is bleeding? Do these males not understand that we just MIGHT have something better to do than scrub his blood out of sheets in addition to those used by mom that might have pee or poo? BTW, saw something about peel away sheets...look intriguing, not cheap, sadly wind up in landfill, but are waterproof, come in layers of 5 or 7, and you just peel off top layer and are good to go without having to get another sheet on! No noise they say and breathable....

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Gdaughter, those sheets are awesome and for 50 nights are really cost effective.

Let us know how they work out.
(1)

gdaughter,

Please take care of yourself. What kind of dog do you have? Dogs become part of the family. My dog loved my mom when she was living with us. Mom said they understood each other because they were growing old together. I hope that they are enjoying each other’s company in heaven now. How does your dog do with your parents?
(1)

NHWM: I don't know how long. I may not sound like it,but just take it one day at a time. ANd I do get time to rest, just not enough:-) You're right, the linen closet is the small stuff. ANd I did nearly drop dead from an aortic dissection last fall,butmy pup needs me so I will take care of myself and survive for all. Yes, FG, I do believe as active and sharp as dad is, there may be some cognitive changes which is not a good mix with his being inept with household (i.e. women's)work tasks. He actually left a note in response to mind asking if he could be of help and saying he would try and do better. YEs, very sweet. The peel away sheets I am giving a try. I know I could do that with the pads, but they get scrunched up by mom in various ways and the bedding still needs to be washed.
Hoping with you that tomorrow will be better:-)
(1)

I have never heard of peel away sheets. I just googled peel away sheets. Those are too expensive to use on a regular basis! Out of curiosity I also googled how much is spent on adult diapers. There is a website idiaper.com that breaks down the cost of money spent on these products. Interesting. Big business!

I don’t know how you are surviving. How long have you cared for your parents? I hope that you are able to rest. I think the linen closet would be the least of my worries compared to the larger picture. I loved my parents but if they had lived to 104, I think that I would have dropped dead long before them from stress and exhaustion!
(0)

Sounds to me like you're suffering from a bit of burnout huh? That's very normal, and with you caring for both your mother and father, very understandable.
Your father being 104 years old, probably has a bit of mental decline(would be shocked if he didn't)and probably was not aware that he had a bleeding wound before he went in the linen closet. You know he didn't do that on purpose. He was probably just trying to be helpful.
And you don't have to spend a lot of money on peel away sheets. All you need to do is put multiple waterproof pads beneath your mother, so when she messes on the top one, you can just throw that one in the wash and she will already have another clean one beneath her.
I hope and pray that you are taking time for yourself on a regular basis, to do things that you enjoy, as that will refresh and renew you, so you can continue on with your caregiving journey.
Here's hoping tomorrow will be a better day!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter