Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Awwwwww. My heart goes out to her, you, and your family. Does she get to visit with her husband?
(0)

She tells me that she understands but then does not do anything. Her neurologist told me several months ago when we saw him that he could not perceive her muscles even trying to help her stand up out of the wheel chair.

The nursing home doctor told me back in January that she knew when my mother first got there at the end of April that she had given up. Her mother did the same thing after she broke her hip.
(0)

That's too bad, as she is only hurting herself for not cooperating, which I'm sure you are aware. Sad. Does she lack competency, and not understand?
(0)

Thanks for the idea about letting my mother's doctor play the heavy.

Along with not doing PT, she does not participate in the activities for one thing she will not let them get her out of the bed and put her in a chair every day for a few minutes.
(0)

How about making your mom's doctor "the heavy," by asking your mother, "Have you asked your doctor about this?" That takes the pressure off you, and you can tell her how much you love her, and are taking care of her other needs... That sets boundaries and puts the "responsibility" for her medical care where it properly belongs, taking the pressure off you. Hope that helps!
(2)

I'm sad for you, but you have lots of company. People cope with this all the time.

You are making sure she gets the care she needs, and she is making the choice not to do her PT. It sounds as though her husband may be joining her rather than her joining him!
There is a track record on her health to back you up. Of course she says she wants to go home. She is worried about her husband and also she is bored. She likely refuses to take part in any activities offered, to - am I right? That is common.

Hang tough. It's get old to have to explain yourself. Try and keep it short and sweet and move on to different topics.

Take care,
Carol
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter