Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Bringing this back up to the top.
(0)

Thank you, Send what would I do without you!
(0)

I am a little swamped right now hence rare postings but just a word to the wise. If you don't get a job there are usually only a few reasons as to why.
1 You royally screwed the interview but you will know you did that and it was probably because you hadn't prepared to give examples processes and procedures involved and outcomes....tis a common mistake so learn from it. There seems to be a nightmare trend to questions now which is really justified in my opinion but is horrendous if you aren't ready for it. The CV tells them all they need to know about your positive skills. Would you be prepared for a nasty question like. Can you tell us about a time when you didn't perform to the standard expected of you?

Its a ghastly question so make sure it is either minor - so you could easily avoid it again, or that it occurred due to you following a faulty process which you then helped to review so that it couldn't happen again

2 You don't fit in with the existing team. Now this is tricky its not necessarily about age gender or dress code but could be. It shouldn't be about culture or creed but I am ashamed to say I have seen that too. Do be warned though sometimes they want the team to change so they sometimes look for the complete opposite of the existing team
3 Your appearance/grooming. Today they are getting round issues of looks by using terms like the successful candidate will have a professional approach to all aspects of their work - don't be fooled - this means if you dont dress or look the way they want you to they have a get out clause. I find this disgraceful but hey it is what it is I was told to see a dress stylist before I attended a job interview and I told them where to put their job. I always wore a black or navy suit with a brighter colour but not garish blouse but apparently I should have dressed more flamboyantly.
3a Do check what the average person in the company wears - No point wearing high cost fashion if everyone there wears low cost fashion and they would know the difference. I know I failed one interview because I dressed over well. As soon as I walked into the interview I knew...the interviewer was smart but while I had picked my one and only brand new suit (given to me by a friend who quite frankly had more money than sense she was wearing an off the peg suit. Shouldn't make a difference but it did!
4Your face just wasn't what they were looking for - in the final analysis you wouldn't want to work for them anyway
5 You are overqualified...Taylor once said appoint the very best person for the job ...if you dare....most don't dare for fear they will employe someone who wants their job
6 And finally the dark destroyer for all interviews. They had already decided they wanted X for the job. They cannot justifiably just give X the job - legal issues and all that so they advertise the post citing only the quals and skills that person has and what happens? Along you come and throw a spanner in the works by having identical quals. Nothing they can do but interview you. if you asked them afterwards why you didn't get the job they will have an answer...something usually like it was an incredibly close call and you both were brilliant in your answers. however X's experience matched more closely to the role than yours.... You can't beat this one so just accept it peeps///some battles have to be lost in order to win the war.
(4)

Bringing this back to the top for caregivers returning to the workforce.
(1)

Or trying anyway! Thanks Send.
(1)

Just reread this and had to share an amusing incident related to Jude's Point no. 3. I always wore suits to interviews, which were almost entirely with law firms. Once I decided to apply for a position with in-house counsel in the law department of a computer firm.

Wore my usual suit and heels. It was pretty clear that there was some kind of mix-up because the attorney who interviewed me didn't even know an interview had been set. But it was her appearance when she came down the stairs that told me there wasn't a match even before speaking with her.

She was wearing a t-shirt, pants or jeans (something casual), and flip-flops! I have never in my entire career seen an attorney wearing flip flop sandals at work.

I knew computer firms dressed casually, but I didn't realize how much so.

I didn't get a call back, but it was for the best as when I verified her claims I found out she was grossly misrepresenting the company's primary line. I don't recall what she claimed they did, but on researching it found they were one of the number 1 or 2 companies that spammed with ads! And there were a lot of complaints about them.

I never would have worked for them after I realized what they did.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter