Follow

The right to food and drink.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Do you have specific concerns or questions about feeding ports or feeding tubes, the right to refuse food and drink, etc.?  The best way that we can help you is if you have a concern that you want to discuss or a question that you need answered.
(1)

I have already written in my own personal health care directive and in my POLST with my doctor that I do not want any artificial feeding or hydration. That when I cannot myself take sustenance I do not wish it given to me. Your question is honestly too vague for me to answer because I do not know who you are considering this for: yourself or your loved one. I do not know the age of the person. I do not know how long this port is suggested for. I do not know, most importantly, what the expressed wishes of this person was before this decision making comes. Would love you to enlighten us a bit farther so we could better answer, and wishing you the best of luck in decision making. If you are simply asking WHO has the right to refuse such a port then the answer is the patient him or herself or the person in charge of health care decisions for the patient either appointed or next of kin. This can become very very complicated when there is a large family and no decisions have been discussed before need occurs and there is disagreement. Nasogastric tubes placed down the nose and into stomach are dangerous as patients often pull them out, causing food to be fed into the lungs as tube is removed, so ports are the long standing option. I have seen ports removed by patients, as well, as a nurse, despite being sutured.
(1)

There are a plethora of ways the decision to have a feeding tube placed or refused. Too many possible scenarios to plan for each one. If a person believes they generally don’t want one, they can sign an advanced directive stating that if a feeding tube is needed to sustain life and there are other life limiting factors at work, it will be declined. My husband and I have each placed the decision with each other as we trust each other to evaluate the situation. With my mother, her feeding tube was placed following a stroke when we were assured by multiple doctors that there was great hope of recovery. Didn’t turn out to be true despite much therapy, though she was mentally aware. It was a heartbreaking time, but proved to us there’s no quick, one-size-fits-all answer to this one
(2)

The Catholic religion does not allow for the refusal of a feeding tube if your loved one can benefit from one. As my dad was being rushed to be discharged and we were bamboozled into hospice at home, he accepted it. He'd had a stroke and could not talk like before. He knew yes and no and his facial expressions told it all. The hospital discharged him with the formula Jevity. He was having loose bm but he was discharged anyway. The diarrhea continued for days. It was like water. I stopped the Jevity and started making my dad my own formula. I read that when they burp they taste the food. I'd ask him if he liked his oatmeal and applesauce. Never got diarrhea from any food I made. Of course hospice was not happy about it. So what..my story is long but I just wanted to give a different perspective on tube feeding. Not the nose one, a G tube in the stomach. He passed away July 24, 2019 due to hospice negligence and incompetence. This small memory still allows me to smile. He also loved his Apple juice. Be very wary of hospice. Check out Hospice Patient Alliance and an organization by the name of HALO. USE YOUR BROWSER, YOU WON'T REGRET IT.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter