Follow

There are several questions asked over and over by newcomers to the forum. I realize that on the home page, if you scroll down, you will see the article that addresses the most commonly asked question ("how do I get paid to be a caregiver?"). I think it would be helpful to have the top 3 or 5 most frequently asked questions on the forum come up right way without having to scroll. (I've only been on this forum since last summer and I've seen that particular question what feels like hundreds of times.) Then when someone clicks on that question, it links to the article, and at the bottom of the article are links to the most recent occurrences of that question on the forum. Just thinking that participants' time can be better spent by addressing less common/more complicated questions?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I'm not envisioning a full FAQ page, I'm thinking the top 3 or so questions show up right on the home page and can be clicked on, which takes you to a basic, standard answer but then there's a link to the Forum. I totally agree with Glad, that people want and need the human contact. But some people do just want an answer to a basic question and they should get it, and if they have a further inquiry, they go on to the Forum.

Countrymouse, "Why are my siblings so useless?" made me giggle. And I don't even have siblings.

The highlight questions should be both frequently asked, but also can be answered in a way that has a simple, broad and practical component. Family dynamic issues may be too messy and those questions may have too many variables?

#1 - How do I / can I get paid to be a caregiver? (also addresses the pro's/con's of bartering room & board for caregiving)
#X - What to do if I think I have caregiver burnout
#X - Who has legal authority to act in a LO's behalf?
#X - What to do if I suspect my LO has dementia, but refuses to go to the doctor?
#X - My LO should not be driving but won't give it up -- help!

Again, not suggesting these are the "main" ones or in any order...looking for input.
(1)

While the repetition can be annoying, recognize that these posters are often times reaching out and hoping to find someone that understands because they are new to this. They are seeking help and support. Human contact, perhaps they are isolated through caregiving?

When I see these questions, I will often respond with only a link to the article. I should be more welcoming, but the issue of being paid pushes my buttons as it is too close to my own dysfunctional situation, which is now done. But maybe the article link will at least provide information and keep a thread viewed a bit longer so others will see it and respond.
(1)

While an interesting idea, I think most people will continue to just post their question without reading FAQs. That's what happens on other message boards I read. It will take some policing to tell the posters to read the FAQs first (even it if says to do that at the top of the message board).
(2)

Why isn't my mother grateful for all I do for her?

Why won't my father stop driving?

Why are my siblings so useless?

Why do my siblings always interfere?

How do I get power of attorney over my loved one?

What are my rights to see my mother?

My wealthy parents are now frail and need care and it's so horrifically expensive that the inheritance they worked and saved and hoped to leave us is vanishing before our eyes. This seems very hard. What can we do about it and still feel good about ourselves as citizens?
(1)

Also caregiving for room and board
(2)

c Follow people on the issues you need to find information about. I was a caregiver for decades, and following caregivers provided both practical information and ways to deal with the inevitable burnout. You sound smart organized, and that' s good start.
(0)

What do you think those top 5 questions are?
1) How do I / can I get paid to be a caregiver?

(I'm just guessing and others who have been on this forum for years would know better, so please add or disagree with the ones below:)

- What meds can be given for dementia?
- Should I provide care for someone who abused me?
- How to get LO to agree they need more help or move to AL?
- Caregiver burnout
- What can the PoA do and when?
- Where can I get financial help / resources for ____?

Other common questions?
(0)

Great idea.
(0)

Good idea, Geaton.
(1)

I agree, have an automated link system for the most asked questions such as the one you have mentioned.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter