Follow
Read More
5 6 7 8 9
golden: That polished cotton dress and accessories sound beautiful. I loved the fabric, chintz.
(2)

need and llama - I'm not so far from that era myself though I have almost given up on curlers. When I was young we wore hats and gloves on certain occasions. I don't mean for warmth but for looks - you know a pretty polished cotton dress with white gloves and a brimmed hat. My daughter tells me I am more dressed up to go to the bathroom than most people are going for groceries lol. Not quite true, but she has a point. It's what we are used to. In Montreal when I lived there downtown some people were very well dressed. People here in the north are very casual. Edmonton is somewhere in between depending on where you are though probably more casual these days. I noticed that when we go the the dinner theatre many don't dress up at all. Dressing up is part of the fun for me.
(5)

My mom "I took great pride in my hair." True as she still set her hair in curlers right up until her death.
(4)

Golden,

Angela Lansbury was so cute. I didn’t see her play in that movie. I do watch old movies. I will look out for that one.

Will have to check out the book too.
(2)

Golden,

My mom loved VO5. She did have beautiful hair. When she got older and her hair started thinning she was a bit sad.

She said that she always received the most compliments on her hair.

She was a beautiful woman and I felt that she was selling herself short. My mother was a bit vain and extremely stylish.

I do think women of that era placed a great deal of importance on their looks. They wore beautiful clothes, put on makeup, pretty shoes and purses, hair done just right and so on.

My grandmother never wore a pair of pants in her entire life! She was always in a dress.

Mom did wear pants. I think it was Mary Tyler Moore, ‘Laura‘ on the Dick Van Dyke show that made pants popular.

ITRR,

That’s interesting that VO5 still sell the product. The other product I remember mom using frequently when she was younger was Ponds Cold Cream.

Gosh, I hadn’t thought about those products in years.

Golden’s hot oil treatments reminded me of the VO5.
(2)

I remember my grandmother using a VO5 hair styling product, smallish tube. I thought I was big business when she styled my hair using her VO5, my mom on the other hand, had a fit every time because it made my hair oily, so she thought.

V05 still has some good products at reasonable prices.
(4)

golden: Thanks. I have color treated hair that I don't wash every day. Too harsh.
(1)

need - I remember VO5. I think it was a leave in conditioner. I have a L'Oreal one that helps with the fly aways, and also John Frida serum

margaret - glad that works for you.

real - you shampoo first and then do hot oil treatment then??? shampoo again? I put enough oil on my hair that I have to shampoo after. I don't have much natural oil.

pamz -good advice from your hairdresser. Mine can get very dry feeling too. The hot oil once a week is a blessing and volumizes. I have to be careful of products as I have skin allergies.

Llama - I think it would be worth a try. My scalp always feels better after a treatment,

Luckylu -Happy Birthday to your kitties. Time flies, doesn't it?

Need - re Mrs 'Arris I read the book by Paul Gallico first many many year ago and also saw the 1992 movie version with Angela Lansbury. Both were just lovely. I have read other delightful books by him too.

catskie - Oh gosh. My willpower isn't that good. I just don't buy the stuff I want to gorge on. I found some really tasty dark. chocolate nut clusters - supposed to be keto. Once I ate one I wanted them all. So I finished them off pretty quickly and will not buy them again soon - maybe one package for a treat at Christmas. Nowadays they make processed food to be addictive so we will buy more of it.
(2)

Unfortunately my new favorite things is making me gain weight.
10lbs to be exact. lol.
I love Oikos banana cream& Activia vanilla yogurt. I got some Voortman wafer cookies and can't stop eating them in my yogurt.
Willpower!
(4)

Just watched a sweet movie, ‘Mrs. Harris goes to Paris.’ It’s set in the 50’s. A cleaning woman from London (widow) goes to Paris to buy a Dior dress.
(5)

My 3 little"kittens" are big girls now.
Today is their 6th birthday.
They're the light of my life and the reason I get out of bed every morning.
They've kept me going since I lost Mom.
I can't believe they're already 6 and they still act like little kittens.
(9)

Is hot oil good for dry scalp? I seem to have a dry, itchy scalp.
(1)

I also have long thin hair, and it was feeling like straw a year ago. My Hairdresser told me to put oil on it, and stop washing every day. I use Monoi oil, and also some Aussie products. And I love deep conditioners once or twice a week. Hask and Freeman make some good ones I can find at my local $ store ( or 1.25 these days.. lol) They are working and my hair feels like new hair these days!
(4)

Just something I learned a loooonnnggg time ago, when I would get perms.

When you use a hot oil treatment it does a better job if you use a clarifying shampoo first.

Any oil works. You just clarify, apply treatment, cover and wrap. Sometimes, I leave the oil treatment on overnight.

Just my experience.

Golden, you are so right. It is a relaxing treat to do a hot oil treatment.
(3)

Golden, I also have long hair which I put in a clip. I had trouble for years with fine wisps around my temples that didn’t grow long enough to get in the clip. I solved it with help from the photographs of Ghislaine Maxwell (or help from her expensive hairdresser), where those small areas were clipped short. It looked good on her, and it works well for me too. My husband does it easily. Never ignore a good idea, no matter where it comes from!
(3)

Golden,

I think my mom used a product called VO5, something like that. Or maybe olive oil. I’m not sure.

Haven’t people used mayonnaise, eggs, beer in hair too? Beer was supposed to make hair shiny.

My hair is fine now too. I had thicker hair when I was younger. So many things affect our hair and skin. I only need a light moisturizer on my face. I do use lotion on my hands. They are always dry!
(3)

Need - I have very fine hair and long now and very "fly away" especially in the winter if I don't do something about it. I find the hot oil treatment really helps to make it more manageable, it looks better and is good for my scalp. I use coconut oil these days but not exclusively. Any oil is better than none, I tend to have dry skin and hair. I use baby oil on my face - not much else.
(2)

Golden,

I remember seeing my mom giving herself hot oil treatments when I was young. She had beautiful hair!
(3)

Hot oil treatment for my hair - apply the warm oil, then stuff your hair into a shower cap and wrap your head with a heated towel. Bliss and very relaxing!
(5)

❤️🙂 as some of you know, i loooooooooooove romcoms.

yesterday, i watched the absolutely worst romcom EVER ("Love in the Villa"). it's totally, totally ridiculous. i had to stop after a few minutes (never happened to me before, that i stop watching a romcom).

i started reading the reviews, to see if other people on this planet agreed with me how ridiculous this movie is.

well, i had a lot of fun reading the bad reviews.

this was my favorite review:
"You can feel your brain cells dying as you watch it."

-----
haha :). i think i'm going to use that line in other contexts.
for example, next time i bump into a silly, rude person...
"You can feel your brain cells dying as you spend time with this person."

❤️🙂
(1)

Found a new t.v. series, but can only watch the trailer and the first episode without a subscription.

"Shrinking"

Movie line:
"I'm sorry". "I have to ask this". "Is this you forever?"
(3)

Pamzi, I'm sold. I would definitely take your recommendation for this masseuse.

Massage and Reflexology are my favorite self care activities.
(3)

As for what we love to watch,, I am currently on a Bones kick! how did I miss the seasons of this? Hubs and I both love it, and due to several channels showing it we can find it several times a week! Gory yes, but it makes you think and learn new things!
(1)

I had a massage at new place that opened in my town. The gal has 35 years of experience, and the prices are much better than the ones in the larger town nearby. I used to get them a few times a year but this is my year to try to do some "me" things more often. I feel wonderful!! She got the kinks worked out, gave me some things to do to help the tension, and DID NOT try to sell me on monthly massages! In fact I mentioned I was thinking about monthly ones, and she said every 2 or 3 months is fine unless I am having issues! Not that she would not be happy to see me monthly! I will be recomending her! I love giving my money to a local person instead of a huge place.
(4)

having a lot of fun right now, watching "my big fat greek wedding 2".
number 1 was great! and number 2 is really good, too.

:)

i'm just in the beginning of the movie, where she's trying to teach her elderly father how to use a computer!! haha, i think we've all experienced something similar.
(4)

Taking my granddog to the park! Just got home.
(4)

westerns, black and white, war movies, nice :).

i bet no one in the entire universe can guess what kind of movie i'm watching right now...

(rom com)

"about fate" (2022 movie), i'm half-way through. very sweet.
(2)

"black and white"  "all the war movies and Westerns"

Yeeessss!!!!
(5)

Bridget, I would watch any one of the films listed before a rom-com. I, especially love films in black and white and Westerns are my all time fave.

When I was young we would go to the MGM movie theatre and watch all the war movies and Westerns kicked back on love seats with Shirley Temples being delivered by a cocktail waitress. Hooked me on those great scripts, directors and actors. So much so that my first career was in audio/video production.

I was super blessed to meet a man that was helping Micheal Blake's widow and I shared how much I loved Dances with Wolves, he gave me a signed, hardback copy of every book Mr. Blake had written. The movie is as good as the book, which is uncommon in my experience.
(5)

BOJ, I must be the girl exception. I don't like rom-coms. I like war movies - Midway. The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far. Also like Westerns. Tombstone is my all time favorite, along with Dances With Wolves.
(5)

5 6 7 8 9
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter