Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
3 4 5 6 7
Golden, that’s exactly what my knee exercises do. They technically are thigh muscle strengthening exercises .i need to start doing them again

I think it’s funny that your squats get brought up often 😂😂
(2)

way - mother believed the Vikings ruled the world and were never conquered. She took statins. I can't - they affect my muscles but my cholesterol reasonable. My father was English/Welsh and my mother Norwegian so we are similar that way. When joints are bothersome, building up the related muscle helps to support them.

cw - I am sure it is good. With CFS/FM I couldn't possibly do it without crashing. My knees screamed when I started the squats too. In fact my knees were bothering me on the stairs, but not any more. I just took it very slowly. Nothing wrong with bringing something good to other people's attention.
(3)

Need, I really, really like this program! (Sometimes I feel like I'm one of those born again people trying to get everyone else to see the light too 🤣)
(6)

cw,

Thanks, I will check out the video. I’m boring. I do my stationary bicycle and walking.
(1)

I'm going to once again tout the value of Leslie Sansone's walk at home program (videos available on youtube). One of the very simple movements in her walks are mini squats (simply bobbing down and up several inches in time to the music), plus being mindful to bend the knees a little when doing side steps - my knees yell about full squats but the moves ares so easy, plus they have actually worked amazingly well to strengthen my muscles!
(7)

@ Golden ,
Thanks for the squats technique . I do have some knee exercises that I learned in PT for my arthritic knees.
My PCP told me the 70/30 too when he finally talked me into taking a statin drug. He basically said I needed the statin anyway because of genetics . Dad’s side English/ Irish , Mom’s side are the Vikings.
I had a Norwegian math teacher for 2 years in high school who celebrated Leif Erikson Day in class each year . She ignored the US Columbus Day . Lol.
(2)

@way Yes, those are the usual knees out, back straight squats. I have added stopping half way up and holding it for a few counts to further strengthen muscle. I am moving from a two story house with basement to a one story condo and need to keep my leg strength for things like getting up out of a bath, and picking up stuff off the floor.

I gather you are another Viking on here. I think we have pretty good genes, at least in my mother's family they do. From what I have read it's about 70:30 lifestyle to genetics. Lifestyle is all the usual stuff and it is important. Mother who lived to 106, walked a lot, ate sensible home cooked meals (very little processed food), liked her sweets in moderation - a little dessert some times and a cookie or two with a cup of tea, and same for a glass of sherry once in a while. She usually slept well. Her mind was very active and she stayed involved in her interests into her 90s.

Having Borderline Personality Disorder she lived with a degree of stress and had high blood pressure which was treated but sometimes spiked, and that I am sure caused her vascular dementia. Otherwise she might still be alive and I would still be caregiving - God forbid! Most of the women in mother's family lived a good life well up into their 90s.

I try to live a healthy lifestyle. For me that's the key. Keeping moving is part of that. Even a little exercise has benefits. I can't do what I once did, obviously. I eat low carb and for me that is part of keeping healthy but it's not for everyone. My father got type 2 diabetes and I swore I wouldn't!!!

When my BP went up a bit years ago I did a lifestyle change rather than take pills. It came down and is even lower now. Same with blood sugar and mine is fine now. That's my general approach. If something goes off I first look to lifestyle to change it. That doesn't work for everything. I am on thyroid meds for hypothyroidism and a lot of supplements for CFS/FM but it does work for many things.

Dealing with stress well is very important too. I used to be able to walk it off, but not any more, so deep breathing and so on helps. I read a lot for escapism and for knowledge.

Living long is only good if you have quality of life. And enough money to look after yourself. I worked till I was 73 to enhance my pensions. I work to keep myself as healthy and mobile as I can. It's better than sitting and deteriorating. lol.
(5)

Way,

I would go to the Crayola factory! I remember being thrilled to get my first box of 64 crayons! Hahaha 🤣

I love reading the names of colors on crayons, lipstick and nail polish.
(3)

Need,

I don’t think the Peeps factory gives tours , at least I’ve never heard of any.
But we do have the Crayola factory tour near us where you get to make and name a crayon.
(4)

@ Golden ,

Ok. I’m asking . Are these the usual knees out back straight squats ?
What am I supposed to be doing to live as long as your family ?
(1)

You are amazing, Eva. 100 squats a day!!! I bet it burns off all that chocolate.
Jeanne Calment is legendary. Lot of antioxidants in dark chocolate!
(2)

I indulge in dark chocolate, big amounts.
But I can do squats, about 100 a day!
Interesting fact, this French woman, (don’t remember her name), who lived to be over 120, ate about 2 pounds of chocolate weekly, doctor advised her to eat less at age 110. Why, maybe more chocolate increases longevity?
(4)

Dark chocolate which I indulge in regularly in small amounts.

You couldn't pay me to eat most candy, but I do miss licorice - twizzlers, all sorts. They are not too sweet. Can't eat them due to allergies.

Turkey is another favourite and I will probably roast some pieces today.

Happy Easter everyone.
(4)

Need,

My mother was somehow related to the Heidi candy company. Like a cousin second cousin or something by marriage . They made jujyfruits and red hot dollars, and chocolate babies.
(3)

Way,

Twizzlers are good. I haven’t had them in years.

I remember riding my bicycle to the store to buy ‘penny’ candies. I got a quarter for my allowance every week and I thought that I was rich going into the store to buy four or five candies and a drink!
(3)

Way,

Can you visit the Peeps factory? Do they do field trips?

When my oldest daughter was living in Alabama, we visited and went to the Mercedes Benz factory! It’s huge. We wore comfy shoes for the day.
(2)

Need,
I used to eat peeps as a kid before I moved from Long Island to PA . ( Moved to PA when I was 40.)

I grew up and eat dark chocolate now.
My real weakness though is twizzlers all year long. It’s a Hershey product , and Hershey is in PA too .
(4)

Joy,

🤣, it wasn’t! I got really upset and freaked out. I panicked and got upset with my friend next door. He gave it right back to me by saying, “Hey, you invited me over!” We stayed friends. I apologized to him for screaming at him. 😊
(2)

“Black and white hair started flying all over.”

that doesn’t sound very bunny at all. i mean, funny.
(2)

Do you eat them, Way? They are cute!

The guy that I was dating when I was a teenager gave me a real bunny for Easter! We went to a hardware store for him to buy something. I spotted this beautiful solid black Dutch bunny. They stay miniature sized. He was adorable.

My boyfriend lured me away from him in the store. The next day he showed up at my house with him. We would walk this bunny along Bayou St. John and the lakefront on a leash. Hahaha 🤣

My good friend next door always wanted everything that I had. When I got a puppy he called the family and got one of my dog’s siblings. So, naturally he went out and got a bunny too. His was solid white though.

I thought it would be a good idea for our bunnies to visit. Nope! It wasn’t a good idea. When he brought his bunny over they started fighting. Black and white hair started flying all over. I got upset and told him to take his bunny home.

My bunny screeched! I didn’t even know that bunnies could make noises. Anyway, our bunnies were never together after their brawl.

As an adult, I don’t like when bunnies or chicks are sold at Easter. I gave my bunny a good home but they shouldn’t be marketed as a novelty. I don’t think that is done much anymore. I hope not.
(3)

cat and need,
i’d really love to join you at need’s place for peeps, dark chocolate Easter bunnies, carrot cake, honey baked ham and sweet potatoes.

but i’ll be having another grilled cheese at Way2tired’s place.

🐣🐣🥚🥚✨✨
(2)

The peeps factory is not far from my house .
(2)

So, we know that Alva’s favorite candy at this time of year is Peep’s. What is yours?

I have to go with chocolate, preferably dark chocolate. I do like chocolate and peanut butter (Reese’s) eggs!

I always loved seeing the beautiful sugar egg in my basket! I never wanted to eat it. It was too pretty to eat!

Eh, the jelly beans were left in my basket, except for the licorice ones. Didn’t like the heavenly hash bars, pecan eggs, definitely hate the cream filled eggs. I went for the chocolate eggs and my bunny!
(2)

Alva,

Sure, I can serve Peeps too. I do love candy.

I make peppermint bark for Christmas. I have not mastered fudge. My grandmother made delicious fudge and my grandfather made the best pralines and peanut brittle.

So, twice a year I will indulge in candy.

Oh wait, I adore Halloween! I buy candy then too, the mini chocolate bars!
(2)

Need,
If stale peeps are on the menu I will come. But not the fresh ones. They are best when they go all stale and chewy.
I hope that everyone has a wonderful day, however they celebrate, and even if they don't .
(2)

Cat,

Come on over! I will share my chocolate bunny with you too! 😊
(2)

Need,Im coming to your house for dinner ♡
(3)

Need, He is Risen indeed! ❤️
(5)

Happy Easter Everyone! He is Risen!

Dark chocolate Easter bunnies!

Carrot cake!

Honey Baked Ham!

Sweet potatoes!

Roasted Green Beans!

Easter Dinner with my family!

Anyone notice that I placed the chocolate bunny first on my list? Well, right after Jesus.
(7)

oh my goodness, i'm a puddle of tears right now (good tears). i love watching inspirational movies or documentaries. just saw a great documentary, and i'm crying all over the place. inspiring.

❤️🙂
(4)

3 4 5 6 7
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter