Follow

A guidebook that helps people navigate the things the NARCISSIST says to others. The common phrases they say, the things said that unsettle others, put others on the defensive, that push others into fear, obligation, and guilt.
Some things said that raise red flags to most people, but turn the unsuspecting into jelly.

Some lies and omissions can be dangerous. Is there a guidebook so that all relationships with a narcissist do not have to go "No Contact?".

Disclaimer:
Just because a person says these things, does not make them a narcissist.

What has been said to you?  What are some red-flagged conversations you have had?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Another good book for dealing with narcissists is  Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward.
(2)

The book Boundaries by Cloud & Townsend helped me. I've gone no or very limited contact with some members of mom's side of the family. For me, it's not just the things they say, although those are damaging, it's the mental illness, lying, manipulation, and overall crazy-making behavior. It's sad sometimes because we don't have "normal" family relationships, but I am exponentially happier when I don't have to deal with their drama all the time (although in my caring for mom, they still go through their attorney to try and create problems), and I can't say I really miss it.
(2)

Ok. Thank you everyone for your responses and advice, it was really helpful.
It is a process, a steep learning curve maybe. I cannot recommend the book I ordered, but maybe CMagnum's book will help others.

Reading back.....Barb, now I am laughing at myself.....don't think that I can be a "tough as nails" type of person, but that sounded good at the time I wrote it.
It is really not my job to be so alert at all times that I would even be able to effect behavior modification on an adult, my husband. Being hypervigilant is just another way to make myself crazy.

I need to relax! Lighten up. Get a life. That is for sure.
(0)

Thanks, CMagnum. One can often look a book up on Amazon and read a sampling.
(1)

I will check that out.
(1)

This book looks helpful.

Disarming the Narcissist: Surviving and Thriving with the Self-AbsorbedJul 1, 2013
by Wendy T. Behar
(2)

Thanks for asking Lizzy.
I have ordered the book, it will be delivered Friday.
(0)

You got it...ugly, and fast. Not fast when you look at the big picture. It got ugly one year ago when she started throwing the $1 clause around stated in the Will should anyone Contest or try to Invalidate the Will.

No one is or has contested or questioned the Will. She has taken the Will on an off road adventure.

Send, how are you doing? How’s your situation?
(0)

These situations can get so terribly ugly, can't they? Mine very similar to MountainMoose. Even with a conservator ordered by the court to audit mom's accounts and spending, the twisted narc sisters still did not believe that I was not financially exploiting.
(1)

There are caregivers who know about this. So sorry Lizzy, that you are anywhere close to this. Being fired by 2 attorneys is a red flag.
(2)

Thanks Send,

Sorry about the novel I posted above. Just thinking as I typed I guess.

Possibly over analyzing things like hubby says I tend to do. But it’s just me.

It’s an estate thing. One of the Executors has gone off the rails, literally, IMO. The second Co Executor, IMO, will not stand up to the other Co Executor. This whole situation is turning into a firestorm. I can’t for the life of me figure out what is driving this person. She has been “fired” by two attorneys and is on her third trying to get her agenda met.

I for the life of me can’t figure this person out.

She’s in her early 60s. She’s not one of the siblings that I am around enough to call this Dementia. If Narcissists refuse to acknowledge they are wrong, fly off the handle trying to argue an irrational agenda, lie, uggh, the list goes on. Maybe she is a Narcissist.

She’s definitely not stable!

Drugs, alcohol, Dementia, I have a good handle on those things. This situation is just different. I don’t know what box to put this person in.
(1)

Lizzy,
If it will help, we are listening.
(2)

There was a call made. Not to me. The call was to our 23yr old nephew. Obviously the “easy mark”.

There has to be a book! And I need it tomorrow!!!
(2)

I have always wondered about the word Narcissist. I have even read up on the subject years ago.

I have even wondered if the word applied to my Mother after joining this forum. I really don’t think so. I think there was something else going on there.

But, sitting, reflecting on the last couple of months and some events happening around me, I am again wondering about this word Narcissist.

I have had this gut feeling that I am going to get a call from a person in DHs family.

The family is going thru a situation that has them split down the middle.

Half of the siblings trying to be reasonable about the situation. The other half, cowering in fear as I see it, afraid of what this person is demanding, threatening, it really is quite unreal.

This person my gut tells me might call me.

This person certainly feels entitled, has no empathy, has a clear air about them or tries to project it anyway that they are way smarter, successful, just plain better than their siblings.

Yikes, might my gut be telling me I am not only going to be getting a call but a call from a Narcissist?!?

When I started having this feeling I thought maybe this person might want an unbiased opinion. Now, I don’t think that is the case.

Maybe this person sees me as an “easy mark” as referenced above. I surely hope that is not the case.

I guess, I can proceed as I usually do with anyone and a difficult situation. Slowly. If things erupt on their part, I guess I will have my answer.

There have been discussions amongst the reasonable siblings...what is she thinking? Can she not see she is destroying the family? Is she showing signs of Dementia?

There are clear signs her executive function is lacking if she ever had much of one.

I am stumped...
(2)

They must have a special radar for when the target is getting ready to limit contact.

The call for help comes in, desperate like.
(3)

Surprise,
Thank you, and good effort sharing!
Learning about narcissists can make one very uncomfortable, and even ill.

Everyone should limit their exposure to not only the narcissist, but also limit exposure to this topic. Growth comes slowly. Re-visiting the trauma caused, may best be done in therapy. I don't know. But very big hugs for sharing!!! I don't blame you if you don't want to come back to this topic. It is painful (not for the narcissist, but for the targeted caregivers.)

Hugs, and P.M. me if you don't feel better. Others have been so kind to also reach out as I was/ I am / suffering to rise above this mess.
(3)

"I've done the very best I could. With your father disabled, we were just getting by." When there was active abuse and neglect, as well as hoarding 2/3 of the SSA payments.

Oh no. Not going to follow this thread. I've made myself mad.
(2)

This thread hits home. Just posting a few things my sister has said to me that should have been "red flags" for going no-contact much earlier:
1) "If I did anything to hurt you I'm sorry" ... after you explained exactly what the offending behavior was and they're clearly not going to own it or do anything to ease your hurt.
2) "I'm fine with everything, you're the one who's always upset about something" ... after they do one more thing that shows utter disregard for you.
3) "Let me know when you're over it" ... belittling your pain and wanting notice for when they can strike again.
(3)

Yes, that too GingerMay! They are takers.

Yes, Midkid! I have known that "she lit into me", out of the blue, right? And, in front of friends. So, this thread is all about those things narcissist do and say. Your granddaughter said the right thing, I think: "Grandma, stop talking!".

I have known so many, mostly women, who do this "lit into me" thing. And wondered.
Tried to look it up. I thought they were having blips on their radar, or some kind of epilepsy, or even PMS, or Menopause. Maybe a neurologist should study their brains.
(2)

SendHelp--

Those 3 short sentences hit me like a ton of bricks---I was sitting here thinking "She KNOWS my MIL!!"

After 41+ years of marriage, I am almost 100% "no contact" with my MIL. No reasoning with her, she's a sad miserable person.

She made a huge faux pas last summer, when at a family party, she lit into me as if it were just the two of us sitting alone. THE ENTIRE FAMILY heard the nasty, nasty things she said to me. My sweet niece said "Grandma! For heaven's sake, stop talking!"

I was upset and hurt--BUT, she waved the flag of her true colors in front of about 30 witnesses. Even my Dh had to admit that yeah, maybe she wasn't 'always nice' to me.

Small 'victory', but in reality--with a true Narc. personality, there is NO winning. Just survival.

On the drive home, DH asked me, in a small voice: "If you had known my mother was like she is before you married me, would you still have married me". To which I replied, "No. I wouldn't have." He was silent the rest of the ride home.

All it would have taken was him ONE TIME sticking up for me. He never has and never will. So I have no contact with her. Sad, really.
(5)

Okay!
Seeing some more now, understanding better.

And, dH found the weed block.
(4)

I vote "no contact". Reason is that narcs don't change - ever. These people are takers. Going "low contact" is never enough for them and they'll always make waves to get more. It's not workable and you end up sacrificing your own well being. Choose yourself.
(7)

Send I'm confused. Do you mean when you are "tough as nails" with folks Other than DH, you are "judged"?

That's what narcissists do. They are always right and you are always wrong.

Just being tough with them doesn't make them nicer. It makes them angry and spiteful and hurtful.

That's why people go no contact or limit their contact sharply.
(4)

Thanks Can't Dance!
It is not dH who said those things above, but seems there are several who act this way, and set me into a fog trying to figure out my response. At first, I thought if I came across as tough as nails, they would back away. But I was judged. OK then.

Here is a two day conversation:
Me: Do we have any weed block fabric.?
dH: Yes.
Me: Where is it?
dH: I think we don't have any.
Shopping for same, this is much more than I thought.
Yesterday:
Me: We can go get some cheaper at Walmart.
dH: I think we do have some......why are you screaming?

There is nothing good for breakfast, so he is going with me, looking for weed block. I bribe him with in n out.
(0)

Sendhelp,

I forgot to add if you're dealing with a narcissist with dementia, you have double trouble because the narcissistic behavior only gets worse. In which case I recommend
"Coping With Your Difficult Older Parent, A Guide for Stressed Out Children" by Grace Lebow and Barbara Kane," which might be a more appropriate guide. This book actually suggests verbal responses a caregiver might use to counter the demands of those with dementia.
(3)

Sendhelp,

Do an online search of "What Makes Narcissists Tick: Understanding Narcissistic Personality Disorder" by Kathy Krajco and you will find a link for a free download of the book. Also recommended is "Disarming the Narcissist" by Wendy T. Behary.

There is no "one way" to deal with narcissists. My way was to go "low contact," which has so far worked well for me. I would go "no contact" if circumstances allowed.

You cannot change narcissists, period. But you can change yourself.
(5)

Barb,
Thank you for that advice.
Very much appreciated!
(0)

Send ((((((hugs))))))). I had a friend years at whose grandma would always say to her daughter's and granddaughters " a woman should always have her own money in case she needs to pack up her tent and flee".
I'm sure it sounded better in the original language, but it's good advice. I tell people that my husband and I are married, but our money is not.
(3)

Read more online, went to Psychology Today.

Way lots of information there. I think that I need to see a lawyer. I just read on another thread how important it is to protect finances from someone with cognitive issues.
I am at that scary point now.
(3)

Barb,
It is often a thought, uh oh, here comes another hair-brained scheme, and if I don't agree, I do not exist any longer.  You are possibly not wrong.  Magical thinking exists in several family members.

But I need to take a step back, and read with detachment, what others are having success with, in identifying how not to be exploited.  Like, what do narcs say that stand out as different than the general population.  I have been told by acquaintances, that I am a soft touch, an easy mark, etc.

I am in therapy, and the advice is:  no contact.  Is that all they can suggest?  Less contact, armor and boundaries up?
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter