Follow

I would love to hear an uplifting or inspirational comment from each of you.

Don’t hesitate to add as many comments as you like.

We could all use a little bit of cheer to round out 2020.

Even if your story is sad but has a silver lining, please share it.

No particular topic! Poster’s choice, select any subject.

Wishing everyone on the aging care forum a peace and joy in the upcoming New Year 🎆!

I think of all of you as my online family so I will put this under relationships.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Happy New Year 🎆🎈🎊!!!
(0)

Suz,

What a fantastic story! There are lots of kindhearted people in this world.

Thank you for the good work that you are doing! Happy New Year!

GA,

It has truly been a bizarre year!

Send,

Yay! No more car payments!
(0)

I work in a public school and take care of determining the students who are the most in need for local businesses and organizations to help at Christmas. We live in a small rural community hit hard by covid and the resulting joblessness due to business closings. I was afraid that our students wouldn’t receive much help this year.

Our largest source of aid for students is a local factory where employees make a small bit more than minimum wage. I was so glad when the rep told me they could shop for as many students as last year. A week later, I almost teared up when she told me that so many factory workers wanted to make purchases for our students that she needed size lists for two more students. These kind factory employees were even more generous this year!
(2)

Something to consider is that in politics, there hopefully will never be another year like 2020.

I was thinking about things my parents told me they had to do to survive the Great Depression.   Then I thought about what we've done to survive the pandemic.   Whoever would have thought that we would be washing and sanitizing mail?  I still remember spraying the envelopes, then separating them from the mail.
(2)

Just sitting back, doing nothing really, my car was paid off in full!
Thanks to automatic payments.
(2)

Tothill,

Wow! It has been a great year for you, in spite of the mayhem of this pandemic!

Your accomplishments made me smile from ear to ear. Very inspiring!

Congrats on the new grandchild.

I have a new grandpuppy that is 11 months old. He’s my avatar! I wish that I could meet him but he’s several states away.

I love your kitty’s name! Great wine!

Thanks for adding a little sunshine on the thread. 😊
(0)

I have several good things from 2020.

January, I became a Granny for the first time.

February, I received my Qualified Associate Financial Planner designation

June: I received my Wine Business Certificate

July: Millie had her Covid Kittens, the vet clinics closed and she could not be spayed. I kept one of the 6 kittens, little Miss Pinot.

October, I received my BBA in Financial Services

November, I received my Elder Planning Counselor designation

December: My ex sent me a remarkable letter acknowledging responsibility for much of the strife in our marriage.

December 31, I finished my course work to allow me to write my CFP exam in 2021.

December 31, best thing, I get to spend my New Years Eve with my grandson who turns 11 months old today.

In my part of Canada, grandparents tho provide care are allowed to continue to do so. I have cared for Rayne on overnight visits from the time he was 10 days old. I love him to bits.

2020 has been a challenging year on every level.
(5)

Takincare,

I couldn’t agree more! We have lots to be grateful for.

First responders, military and teachers are amazing!

Let’s not forget about the parents homeschooling too!

Incredible to think about the adjustments all of us have made during this difficult time.
(2)

MJ,

You are going to be a fabulous mother in law!

I was blessed with a beautiful MIL for which I am so grateful.

I miss her dearly. RIP Mom.
(0)

Grandma,

Keep the lovely positive posts coming, please.

Your messages are truly warming my heart.

We all need some wonderful news about right now.

These have been trying times for so many of us.

It sounds like you have made many sacrifices during your caregiving years, which is truly a testament to your deepest love for your sweet husband.

Now you are deserving of time spent for you.

Enjoy your beach trip with your family. Please share all about it afterwards.

I wish there was a spot for photos on this forum. I would love to see a huge smile on your face!

Go knowing that you have done your best in life, the way that you chose to. Have the most wonderful time of your life for YOU!

Hubby would want you to take all the time in the world to relax and be at peace.

As you said, he is at peace now and you are now free to enjoy your family and friends.

One thing I find so refreshing to read in your posts is that you are happy to know that you did your best.

It always makes me sad to read others say that they could or should have done more, as if they hadn’t done enough, when the truth is that they did all they could possibly do for the person they loved so dearly.

I love that your family will be spreading your husband’s ashes there at the beach.

I believe that he will be there with all of you in spirit.
(1)

That for the first time in over 26 years, I will be going on a family vacation with my children and their spouses, and all five of my grandchildren. I was always only able to do little "staycations", because of my husbands health, and the fact that driving in the car triggered his seizures. so I am looking forward to going to the beach in May and spending time with my family. I just paid for the beach house this afternoon. We will also be scattering my husbands ashes there, as that was one of his favorite places to be.
(5)

My son proposed to his girlfriend on December 16, and she said YES! They've been together since they were in high school and are now 24 and 25, and they're the perfect matched set. It was a very happy day, and it's nice to have a wedding to look forward to -- someday.

This year has had far more downs than ups, but I tell myself that this is all part of the total experience of what makes a life. We'll get through this, and there will be happy times again.
(5)

For all the bad things that have happened this past year to so many, there is always something that can make you stop and smile, if only for a moment. I have a new appreciation for what the teachers and students have been going thru with e-learning after having my granddaughter at my home for a week. Even though we were not able to gather together for the holidays we were still able to prepare the meals and drop off to them. Looking forward to welcoming new grandchild next june. I am very thankful that my son in law and his troop returned from helping fight fires in California with our state's national guard in one piece without any injuries. Tho sorely missed MIL didn't have to experience Covid or any of its ramifications. This site and everyone has been very helpful, and taught me many things thru their own experiences and trial and errors, when I was caring for my MIL for that I cannot express enough gratitude. May your New Year be better than this one, may those who need it find peace, happiness, joy, and may others find this site to help them thru the tough times as well as the good.
(2)

"GardenArtist,"

Ahhh, so "punching" down the dough is an arm exercise! I better add that to my list of to-do exercises. Just kidding, I did know it was necessary to do that when making yeast breads since my mom made homemade bread when I was growing up. I've also made it a few times until she bought me a bread machine for Christmas many years ago. It just struck me as "funny" when I read it and could picture you giving the dough the ole one, two! Not only relaxing but a good way to take out frustrations too!

Glad the mystery visitor has been identified - yes, your neighbor should be keeping a better eye on them since she's already lost one cat while crossing the street. How sad and unnecessary.

Poor birds having to go to battle for their lives - sounds like the other guest might just be feasting on them :(
(2)

wren,

I felt that way too. If I would have had someone to understand my circumstances much sooner, things could have been different.

Venting does help. We end up exploding if we bottle everything up.

So glad that you have felt comfort from this group.
(3)

I'm so glad to have found this group - I didn't have you all a few years ago and there was no safe space for me to vent. Just knowing that we are all in this together makes the dark moments a wee bit bearable. Thank you all!
(3)

Grandma,

I know that you miss him but I totally agree that knowing that he is no longer suffering is a great reason to feel joy!

I also believe that he is watching over you. Don’t you? One day you will join him.
(0)

Even though my dear, sweet husband of 26 years went home to be with Jesus this year, I now rejoice that he has a new body, with no more pain and suffering. And that in and of itself, brings me great peace and joy amongst my grief.
(4)

GA,

I have a kitty that scampers along my fence and wonders in my yard but he runs if I go near him. He’s definitely a scaredy-cat!
(2)

Alva,

Earthquake! Geeeez, very uplifting. Hahaha

Happy New Year! 🎆
(0)

Mid,

That’s wonderful! Enjoy your grandchildren.

So happy that you are in remission.
(1)

My daughter's hubby finally completed ALL his medical training (14 years worth) and they moved back HOME bringing 3 of my grandbabies---one of whom is a 'surprise' caboose baby who is 5 years younger than the next oldest g-kid and is a terror on wheels--and we love every moment with him.

SIL has a job that makes crazy good money and so after 14 years of penny pinching, YD is not complaining/worrying about finances.

I'm in remission from cancer and my hair grew back in a style I can only refer to as "Russian Hamster'. BUT...I have hair.

We have a vaccine and DH and I will be among the 3rd wave of people to get it. All out grands had COVID, so we have been able to be with them.
(5)

NobodyGetsIt, punching down dough is good for the arms!   Actually,  it's necessary to get the dough into a malleable shape for baking.    And it's relaxing.  

Found out who my unknown four legged visitor is; it's one of the neighbor's cats, who have always roamed loose.   I don't mind the cats since I'm partial to them, but her first cat was hit by a car when crossing the street.   There's no excuse for not keeping animals in the yard and away from harm.   

I think my secret visitor though either has a secret friend, or is finding some tasty meals in the bushes.  Her footprints lead across the porch to the side, then disappear.  I assume she's jumping down into the bushes, perhaps to watch for the next meal, or may rendezvous with another furry feline.

The birds do congregate in that area, and I've seen evidence in the garden area that they've been in battle with something, probably the other cat which patrols my back yard regularly.
(2)

Small earthquake here this a.m. Those can certainly be uplifting if they get going. Hope for a good new year for all!
(2)

"GardenArtist,"

I'm laughing because it sounds like you enjoy "beating" the heck out of the bread dough - but, I'm glad you savor every morsel of that fresh out of the oven bread.

Now, about that "whole wheat brick".....
(2)

Making bread is one of the most satisfying activities that can be done at home.    Punching it down, waiting and checking on it as it rises, punching it down for a second time, then anxiously awaiting and savoring the taste of bread fresh out of the oven.

The only problems I had was when I tried whole wheat bread.  I didn't realize that whole wheat flour needs to be offset (and forgive me but I've forgotten what my mother used to offset it) or it becomes hard, like a whole wheat brick.
(1)

cwille,

I was helping a friend make bread. There were several steps. It was not hard but time consuming.

Her kitchen smelled so lovely when the bread was baking.
(0)

There is a mystique around bread making but IMO pretty much any bread recipe is "stupid easy", the only real disaster would be if the yeast was old (the reason I prefer old fashioned yeast that you proof before adding) or you killed it with too much heat.
(1)

Grandma,

That I could handle!
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom: You should check out some of the Overnight, no knead bread recipes. STUPID EASY!! look for the recipe on Pastries Like A Pro it is more gentle to the Dutch Oven. Most have you heating an empty Dutch oven this one does it a bit differently.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter