Follow

Hi everyone

So I posted yesterday that my mom was at her nurisng home 2 days. Well, she called yesterday stating there was a mouse in her room. NOW MY mom does not lie. Did I think she did? Yup, so we will get her out. SOOOOOOO I called the nurses station asking about that. The nurse said, "oh yes we do have them we have traps everywhere and we have the whatever is called that go and put traps there." She said, "Yes, it seems like we could have more than 1" !!!!! WHAT THE HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Thank god we have this other place in mind for her. I know ok mice are everywhere. Ya well not where my mom is sleeping and eating. This is disgusting!!!! AND you know what when my brother went to see this place it looked clean, too. Oh and btw my sister saw one last night when she went visit tooooo lord help us

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
If they do not take care of the situation, make a formal complaint to the state attorney general.
(0)

It’s interesting that there are people who are lucky enough to be mouse-virgins, and people who are old mouse-veterans. There are many buildings that simply can’t be mouse-proofed, like our old farmhouse. Where I am, cats are closer to the devil than mice, because cats go feral and kill endangered wild life. Flies are dirtier than mice.

I do my best with mouse control. I have 5 traps out as I write, no successes last night. I have to work on the principle that I am bigger than they are, I’m not scared of them! Just keep your own food locked up clean and safe.
(0)

The senior facility need to install what are called "barn cats" which work for a living. These cats patrol at night seeking out the mice and within a couple of months they have the mice population under control. All the cats need is a place to sleep, bowls of water, some dry food, and litter boxes away from the residents.

These barn cats are independent and prefer not to be around people. So one doesn't worry about them dashing down the halls during the day time, telling their life story to anyone who listens, or sleeping on the resident's beds.

We have a mouser who has wiped out all the mice that use to hide in the kitchen and in the basement. A job well done. He's such a sweet heart.
(2)

They need a pest control company that seals up the entry points in addition to setting traps. They also need to be sure they're keeping food in the kitchen sealed up.

Mice breed multiple times a year, so merely trapping the unlucky ones won't fix the issue. They need to live outside.

You could also contact the health department and ask them to make an inspection. That'll get some action.
(0)

How nice! Are they in a shared room or private room?
Mice get old too, I guess....

Oh, mice are IN the nursing home, you say.
Take a look around your local fast food outlet and ask yourself again just before you chomp into that burger you just ordered.
You can play 'count the traps' while you are waiting (with bonus points if they are 'wriggling'!).
(2)

Why not take her home to live with you? Mice are not always a sign or poor cleaning or place being dirty. Depends on location, what is around the place, time of year etc...
(0)

I get the freak out,, but I;d like to point out that I had them in my house,, the feral cats have solved that nicely, but before we had them we had them here alot,, sometimes I trapped 4 or 5 day in our storage room. Country living. And the hospital I work for used to have a large rat problem,, inner city. We still get roaches there, and fruit flies. It is not always a cleanliness issue.
(1)

LEALONNIE1 she is my mother thats why i am freaking out. So thank you for you comment
(0)

Hi guys thank you i am sorry but seeing mice at a nursing home everytime we go visit its not healthy and unsanitized and even if i freak out 24/7 ITS BECAUSE i care for my mother and its new to her and her children so we want to make sure she is safe and ok!!! AND surrounded by cleaniness and sanitary conditions. SO IF i am complaining 24/7 thats the reason why she is my mother
(0)

Have you thought about taking mom in to live with you? That's going to be the one option where you won't be freaking out 24/7, most likely.
(1)

You would never be able to live where I grew up. My parents owed an old farm house with 7 acres, most wooded. Those little varmits came in when it got cold. Mom has traps set everywhere and my brother going behind her setting them off. He felt sorry for them.

A mouse or two is one thing but if a lot the facility needs to call in an exterminator and find out where they are coming in. It is a health problem when they get to the food. The Health Dept can come and inspect.
(2)

While this seems horrible on its face, once I thought about it for a second I also thought that it is really easy for mice to get in ANYWHERE. And hard to get rid of them. As long as the facility is actually really trying to resolve the issue, I wouldn't freak out about it too much. You could bring some extra traps or something to your mom's room? I'm sure there are crumbs on the floor in just about every room, between cleanings.

If you have another place in mind, there you go. Make sure that it's worth moving her before going through all the work and hassle and potential upset to your mom as she's barely had a moment to catch her breath at this first place.
(2)

It's not necessarily a sign of lack of cleanliness, I bet there are mice in a lot of places you wouldn't suspect (and the little buggers can go from one to OMG at an amazing rate). I'd start by finding out from the Administrator (not a nurse) how long this has been going on, what pest control company has been hired to deal with it and what steps are being taken to eliminate it - a chronic "accepted" problem is totally different than one that is recent and being aggressively deal with.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter