for as long as I can remember my mother and father bought and sold stock through Charles Schwab. My mother recently went into a board and care facility and my father passed away 17 years ago. I have taken care of my mother's finances for about the last 12 years and she has lived with my husband and I for the last nine years. During the last nine years we haven't seen my sister except for a couple of times a year. That is until about a year ago she started coming down more often to see mom as she lives out of town. My mother has a living trust and included in that is her stock. Somehow the stock was transferred into a Merrill Lynch account with my mother's name that it wasa trust account. That was in September but mom my husband and I only found out recently. We received a statement for October along with a letter stating that the information on this account would be sent to my sister's address in the future per her request. The September statement now has that account titled with my sister's name and my mother's name as joint owners. It is no longer in a trust account. my mother is livid to say the least and can't stop crying. My sister refuses to change this back to how it was. Charles Schwab tried to get the information from my sister's broker at Merrill Lynch whosaid there was no paperwork on the account and she had nothing she could send them. I'm trying to help my mother but I don't really know where to begin. This obviously is grand theft but who do I call or get a hold of. I am to the point right this minute that I am ready to prosecute my sister if that's what must be done to get my mother's money back. With Medicare's five-year look back, it's almost certain we will need the money from that stock for moms care. Mom loves where she's at and the people in charge are angels, but it is a little pricey. my husband and I and my mother are beyond shock and awe that my sister and her husband could do this to my mom. I have no words to describe I feel. except that I feel this must be the epitome of a financial elder abuse. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thank you so much in advance for any help anyone can give me.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
It sounds like it is time for a lawyer and/or police to be involved, before the money is disposed of. Sister would have had to have power of attorney, or forged or faked one to do this. Power of attorney can be revoked by the person who gave it, in case it was given and now regretted or forgotten, or maybe signed without understanding what it was? I wish you well in trying to help Mom stay in a good situation.

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter