Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3
you know this rabblerousing dont pay sht .
i do it from the goodness of my heart .

it aint even a tax deductible charity .
(1)

Oh calm down Cap! :)
(1)

" i think like everything in life it's how you perceive it. You could put five, ten, fifty, a thousand people in the middle of a Christmas card setting and they'd all see it differently. "

even the guy who would eat the dogs .

make up your friggin mind . is it cool that were all different or isnt it ? ..
:)>
(1)

Well, if there is harmony then the holidays can be wonderful. If there is heartbreak they can be miserable and it is better to avoid the crazy relatives.

Holidays have lost their true meaning over the years. Yes, all holidays represent something. Much of it is far too commercialized and has strayed from their original purpose.

It’s sad that so many are depressed and suicidal at this time of year. I have lost friends and family members to suicide and it is devastating. I would never criticize anyone with depression. I get down too. There are valid reasons for depression.

Holidays can be very meaningful in the community. We helped do prep work and served the homeless. We have our sections of the city where the homeless congregate.

I was never able to participate in holiday volunteering before because of caring for mom. It was nice to be able to pitch in this year with my husband and children.

The police have been leaving the homeless alone for the most part. We’ve had issues in the past but I have seen that as long as no problems arise they aren’t being chased off.

There have been several tents donated to them. My daughters and I buy feminine products at the drugstore nearby to bring to the women. Helping others has to be year round and not only during the holiday season. So many people live from paycheck to paycheck, so it very easy to become homeless if they are hit with unexpected expenses.

I did not cook! I took a break from cooking and our immediate family went out for a meal later in the day. We had evening reservations because we wanted to volunteer earlier.

I cooked for years and hosted obnoxious family members. When I stopped hosting dinners my immediate family was so glad. My husband and daughters hated all of the BS.

I cook all the time so there hasn’t been a shortage of good food in my home.
(1)

Eating dogs? Captain? Really?

I think like everything in life it's how you perceive it. You could put five, ten, fifty, a thousand people in the middle of a Christmas card setting and they'd all see it differently. How we view the world is how the world has treated us or how we think the world has treated us.

If I'm in a really good mood, feeling great inside and out I can go to a mall at Christmas time and have the time of my life. Buy myself a new lipstick, sit on a bench with a latte and smile at it all. Or the alternative. I can go there when I'm feeling sore, tired and depressed and want to shake my fist at everyone.

The true meaning of Christmas is something different to everyone isn't it. It's supposed to be a celebration of the birth of Christ to those who believe. December 25th isn't really the day Jesus was born. I've heard different variations of when that was exactly. I think if you are a true person of faith you celebrate Jesus every day right?

I've been pretty vocal on the subject of my family and how I dislike get-togethers but that could be any day, not just Christmas time. But I agree it's nice that people donate more to needy causes at Christmas time. There's that.
(3)

On the one hand, many foreigners make Americans feel like we should be apologizing for our lifestyles and feeling ashamed of ourselves for all of our 'excesses'.

On the other hand, the line is endless for these same foreigners to come to the great land of America, even if it means they die in the process of getting here.

I may choose to walk away from some of the celebrations that can cause more problems than pleasure, but I am forever thankful for the opportunity to HAVE those celebrations and the freedom to practice them in whatever way I choose.
(7)

bullsplat to the last several commenters .
look closely at the ' needy ' and figure out why theyre needy .
let me give you an example ; a younger friend of mine , lets call him " mick " , found himself in need one time between jobs and walked with lunchmeat and bread from a local grocer -- his family wasnt going without .

directly after telling me this i saw his wife walk out the door one evening with a kitchen fork full of " bogus " fried up pork chops to give to the dogs .
those chops would have easily made breakfast gravy for 5 or so people the next day .

people blow . charity my @ss . my family suffered to have any kind of presents under the tree for our sons while the " needy " had christmas 5 fn times .

re ; mick . id have ate the gd dogs -- thats how i roll .
(1)

From A Distance
(maybe a little further away and at Becky's home)

"From a distance the world looks blue and green
And the snow capped mountains white
From a distance the ocean meets the stream
And the eagle takes to flight

From a distance there is harmony
And it echoes through the land
It's the voice of hope, it's the voice of peace
It's the voice of every man

From a distance we all have enough
And no one is in need
There are no guns, no bombs, no diseases
No hungry mouths to feed

From a distance we are instruments
Marching in a common band
Playing songs of hope, playing songs of peace
They're the songs of every man

God is watching us, God is watching us
God is watching us from a distance

From a distance you look like my friend
Even though we are at war
From a distance I can't comprehend
What all this war is for

From a distance there is harmony
And it echoes through the land
It's the hope of hopes; it's the love of loves
It's the heart of every man

It's the hope of hopes, it's the love of loves
It's the song of every man

as sung by Bette Midler
(3)

l like the crowds and the fun. I enjoy the cooking, the kids, the people I haven’t seen ‘for awhile. I didn’t get to go yesterday because of dialysis. I missed everything. I was the only one of 57 who didn’t make it. We’re not perfect and I’m sure there were a couple of little spats over something. We’re noT a Leave iT to Bever Family. We invite everyone. Former spouses, former in-laws, friends who have no place to go. Colleges students who don’t have the money to go home. My deceased husband had some ground rules. 1. Cell phones are left in a basket at the door. 2. No alcoholic beverages of any kind. 3. if you don’t have something nice to say, keep your mouth shut. 4. Park your ego, snarky remarks and your temper at the door and all of your four letter words. 5. Leave any fuses you’re involved in at the door. Don’t spend time trying to get someone one your side. 6. If you know you’ve hurt someone’s feelings, apologize and move on. He believed there was nothing more important than family and t8hatmfor holidays everyone could put aside their personal feelings and enjoy the day. Christmas will be even bigger this year.and it lasts Christmas Eve and all Christmas Day. I’m hoping I’ll will be able to go for both da-ya>
(4)

MargaretMcKen - Yes, stop feeling guilty if things don't work out like Leave It To Beaver is something I totally agree with. It is so liberating to let go of that.
TNTechie - great response. The day after Thanksgiving has made me reflect on so much. Your post re-focused me in a very good direction. Thank you!
(2)

TNTechie gave a lovely response. It isn’t really that hard to see the beauty in the holidays just like it isn’t hard to see the ugly. But the ugly certainly gets more news coverage.

From a distance, most things can be made a little ridiculous... and it can be easy to reduce many holidays/religious events/cultural traditions to a comical version. The farther you are from something, the easier it is to reduce it to the point of caricature. I don’t mean the following in a nasty way, but we see this a lot with “in the US” comments. The US is a big place with MANY different sub/micro-cultures and sweeping statements about what people think here are always interesting. Looking at TV or the Internet, sure, I can see how many things can seem very shallow. I think that is more the medium than anything else. There is shallow here, certainly. And across decades, some trends are more worrisome than others when it comes to depth of thought, etc. I don’t love it either. But I also know every country has its junk... the US is in a fishbowl, sometimes by choice, sometimes by other factors... our junk is just highly visible:)

I think caregiving definitely reduces tolerance for shallow in general. Because we are surviving. And survival mode doesn’t make a good bedfellow with shallow, lol.

If asked, I think people would probably not say that the approach to the holidays is horrible when speaking about their immediate world (friends, family, community), but will say it about a larger group (millennials, the US in general, etc.) The greater distance (through time and place), the easier it is to generalize or view something as the “other”.

However, there is much beauty to accompany the ugly. Just as there has been in every time and place. Human condition, I suppose. The ugly is, unfortunately, in our face now much more than before. Screens put it front and center. The beauty is accessible, but kind of buried in an avalanche of communications that feed the human drive to watch the “train wreck” so to speak. We turn to the negative much more quickly than the positive, yet we yearn for the positive. A difficult turn of heart for most people, and one I know I work on daily.

”Perhaps nice for small families with little children, but a minefield for many extended families, let alone the lonely.”
Margaret, I think, hits the nail on the head with this comment. The costumes, overeating, and baubles are what is visible and easy to articulate. The underlying heart issues and loneliness, the family blow-ups, the stress from money issues, most of these problems come to a head at the holidays, which sets up the perfect environment for that minefield. I’d imagine none of these things are specific to one country. And they are hard issues, and they are sad.

We, too, open our home to a blend of people that lift us up and that need to be lifted up. And TnTechie’s response has helped me to double down in my own heart on how to bring forth the beauty. Thanks for that:)
(3)

TnTechie, your response is a very emotional and passionate response, with practical and excellent insight and advice.

It also focused very much on rationality and common sense. 

Thanks for sharing those wise words.
(3)

" pecking on their phones like a bunch of demented chickens " .

dont remember where i read that but its pretty dam comical .
(5)

i worked for a rather high profile attorney in indy a few years ago . ( masonry ) .
he was so educated that i felt inferior and ' cloddish ' in his presence UNTIL i saw him waving his fist in the air and screaming at his tv set over a football play .

the things people value just amaze me .

margaret ,
its black friday in the usa . this aint going to correct your dim view of mass consumerism .

im going to the forest to cut yet another load of firewood today . i value not freezing to death in my own home .
(3)

Captain I still believe in the silent majority who really do embrace the kind of values we grew up with - live and let live, work for what you need and share when you can. I may be deluded though.
(5)

margaret ,

i agree 100% with you . my obese supervisor got plum shtfaced with me on wednesday for having coffee and socializing at a company lunch as opposed to digging into a huge meal that i had no interest in . i think he will continue to show his distain and im not of a reputation to cower .
( most ) americans are so programmed that they treat anyone who doesnt go with the program as an outcast .

' most ' wouldnt think of missing the latest hollywood release . i wouldnt watch that crap at gunpoint .
(1)

Margaret, I think you'd like a chap called David Mitchell - writer and TV presenter among many other things (and married to the even more fabulous Victoria Coren, but that's a whole story on its own).

He lamented - you'd say fulminated, except he always speaks more in sorrow and bafflement than in anger - over various Christmas themes, but for him the insanity and nonsense of the festive season was summarised by two of its lead characters: the flying reindeer, juxtaposed with the stationary robin.

Well, I don't know though - the concept of Misrule has been part of the celebrations since the druids at least!
(1)

The glass is half full... or is it half empty?

Read a book years ago, Learned Optimism. How you see the glass really is a choice.

When we are stressed and/or depressed, it easy to see the glass half (or more) empty. We cannot control the world or others. We can control our response. We can criticize the holiday season or we can embrace the "real holiday" in our own heart and home.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving in my home and my glass was full. I am very thankful to be physically and financially able to host a meal and "leftover" treats, even if it does take careful planning and days to produce now. Since I have reached a point in life between aging and care giving where the extended family gathering of my youth doesn't happen anymore, I hosted a collection of people from family and the neighborhood who might have otherwise been alone. One was my brother; divorced with his children attending celebrations with SOs. One was a retiree with his children hundreds of miles away. One couple is in their 80s, their only child dead at 18 decades ago. My aunt and uncle came with their single son and granddaughters, the parents are both nurses working today. There was some sadness there too. This is the first year I did not send a plate to the MC for what dementia had left of my father. The old bachelor neighbor/character with kidney disease that shared the table in prior years passed last spring. Yet in the gathering of this group there was a congenial spirit, diverse conversation, the enjoyment of good basic food, friendship, and football. Everyone loved it when my 5 year old grand-nephew came by from next door to report on the progress of Thanksgiving dinner at his house and get something to eat because he just couldn't wait for it to be done and his mother had kicked him out of her kitchen. His older brothers followed, saying the family wasn't leaving for their father's in-law's home for another 2 hours.

I understand how care giving impacts our view of the holiday season. The isolation and depressing spirits of dealing with a LO's losses of physical and mental abilities make planning and participating in the season's activities anywhere from merely difficult to outright impossible. The sense of loss over the people who once shared this season and will never share it again weighs heavily. It can be difficult to even be around "normal" people. It's so tempting to see the glass more than half empty and drown any sense of contentment. More than once, I considered backing out of being a host this year or even marking the day. Maybe just the normal day's meal with Mom and my brother; maybe just some treats or desserts for the visiting kids? I wondered if my grandmother ever had those thoughts. Yet even as her physical condition deteriorated with advancing age, my favorite jumbles with the caramel icing only she could make were always there when I visited during the holidays. So I made the effort; in appreciation of my grandmother and for the memories of the kids who would pass through the house, for my mother who enjoyed the day although she probably won't remember it, for my brother who is still getting accustomed to being alone after 38 years of marriage, for the old couple down the road who wouldn't have any celebration if I didn't come through. I made the choice to accept something different and my glass was filled with the assorted presences in my home.
(16)

Holidays have been commercialized for years and are becoming more so, in part b/c people respond to them, also in part b/c people themselves have become more materialistic.   And there's a lot of pressure to buy.    It's become a part of family holiday rituals.

Companies know how to manipulate people.  Look at FB, for example, and consider how many people participate and share all sorts of personal information which can be sorted, packaged and sold to commercial entities.   Google does the same thing.   

Companies with this kind of "ethic", or better yet lack of ethic, aren't going to give up lucrative data gathering, nor are retaierls going to give up manipulating the public to spend more.

Back in 1991 when I took another French class, my instructor told me that the French retailers and businesses weren't allowed to have sales as we've become accustomed to them.  Sales were allowed either once or twice a year.    Our freewheeling retail segments drive holiday sales and expenditures.  

There are still people who extend their support to others, such as the man who for years has sponsored free meals through the SA for people in need.   That's only one example of someone who has true concern for others in mind, and what I'd consider not only a holiday spirit but a human spirit for understanding and compassion, which IMO really transcends any religious holiday and should be a basic human trait.    But there are many people who lack compassion and focus only on themselves.    And this occurs at the highest levels.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-business-man-donates-thanksgiving-meals-to-15k-people-at-salvation-army-report/ar-BBXtj3B?ocid=spartandhp

That man is an inspiration, but there are plenty who are not and never will be.
(4)

You make wonderful points! The holidays have become far too commercialized. They are filled with stress.

If relationships are complicated, getting together at the holidays are going to be a nightmare and not worth the hassle.
(2)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter