Follow

A woman in France died in her retirement home at the age of 122.

I know the will to live is strong but I can’t imagine living to be that old. Nor would I desire to.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Ohlas,

Sounds like a fun guy!
(1)

Friend of the family sold everything he had and used all his money to travel on cruise ships the last 10-15 years of his life. He said it was cheaper then spending all his money at a nursing home, food was better and no one to tell him what to do. He lived to be 98 or 97. He actually died of heart attack in a hotel room, between one of his cruises. He wasn’t perfect mentally lol 😂 always little touched.

I thought it was an interesting idea, he loved people, company, and ships staff came to know him pretty well and looked out for him. There is a doctor on board if he got mildly sick or if he wasn’t feeling well he would see a doctor in port.

he didn’t always get off at ports. sure did rave about the pools and hot tubs.
(3)

Honestly, I hope my mom lives that long if she can be healthy and enjoy life. She’s very cool.
(3)

Thanks, Jada.

Yes, if the quality of life goes down, life becomes a burden 😒. If we remain healthy I suppose it’s okay to live longer.
(1)

Hi Need HelpWithMom,
Its good to see you back! In answer to your question I say NO WAY! My mom just turned 98 and you know the circumstances. I wouldn’t want to live like that and I’ve already told my kids.....there’s longevity in my family. My grandfather lived to be 101 and for the last year or so of his life he prayed to die
(1)

Pam,

I heard my mom say many times over that she couldn’t believe she was in her 90’s. She will turn 95 in November.

My cousin who is 98 still travels! She is always looking forward to the future. She’s incredibly upbeat and in good health. If only all of us could remain healthy into our golden years.
(1)

I'd like to live as long as I can, so long as I can be productive and have my mental and physical faculties.
(4)

My mom will be 90 tomorrow, she says she never thought she would live this long. She is pretty miserable on a daily basis.. My FIL is 97.. said the same thing. Both of them are in poor health. Nope,,
(4)

"Countrymouse,"

That's a beautiful and touching story - I had tears in my eyes - good ones though!

"FloridaDD,"

I can't believe your mom is over 100. I'm sorry she's declining and I'm sure you've had to take care of her for a long time!
(1)

Not quite a hundred, only 99, but you'd feel differently if you could be the lovely lady I was supporting last week. Her son and daughter in law had visited one day, she'd been into town for lunch, worn a face mask for the first time in her life, and was the happiest person that evening that I ever remember seeing. I could have cried.
(4)

It depends on how you reach that age. I wouldn't like to live up to 100 years not even 70 if I were not healthy, in my body and my brain.
(6)

Nope. Living longer isn't synonymous with living well.
(3)

I have read some that she was not really 122, that she used someone else's ID, but NO, I do not want to live that long.    The problem is arranging the final exit.

My mom was very happy at her 100th Birthday party and able to appreciate it, but she has gone downhill.
(3)

I know there must be exceptions but every time I see pictures or video of a person’s 100th birthday party, the person is sitting before a big cake surrounded by family and friends who all look thrilled, while the person never looks happy. Quite the opposite, the 100 year old is usually either completely passive or scowling. It’s a sign to me, 100 is a bridge too far
(2)

Send, My gosh! I can’t even imagine that. It boggles the mind to read those scriptures! Seems impossible that people lived that long, huh?

Those names! So interesting...Some of the names today seem odd but I the same goes for some of the ancient names too.

The oldest that I know of in my family is my great aunt. She died at 98. She walked to daily Mass every day and was still volunteering at church in her 90’s.

She was a member of the ladies alter group where she helped decorate the alter with flowers. She was also a communion server.

She was a tiny little woman and very interesting. She was a devout Catholic her entire life but married an Episcopalian who was divorced and had a child.

That was scandalous at that time. She loved the church but did not allow them to keep her away from the man that she fell in love with. She had no children of her own but raised a niece and nephew when their mother died when they were quite young.

She sewed beautifully and made exquisite christening gowns and other items that she sold to the upscale boutiques in New Orleans.

She loved to bake and made fruitcake doused with lots of rum for everyone in the family. I just loved her. She was a lady ahead of her time.

The oldest in my husband’s family was his great grandmother who lived to be just shy of 102! She had 12 children. She wasn’t even 100 pounds. We had a blast at her 100th birthday party. She had no cane or walker, had all of her faculties. She was dancing to the band that we hired to play.
(2)

Methuselah
Said to have died at the age of 969, he lived the longest of all figures mentioned in the Bible. According to the Book of Genesis, Methuselah was the son of Enoch, the father of Lamech, and the grandfather of Noah. Elsewhere in the Bible, Methuselah is mentioned in genealogies in 1st Chronicles and the Gospel of Luke.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter