Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My heart goes out to you Caretaker 777. For years, I've been in a similar situation with my narcissistic mother and lately realizing more that my grandmother may also be to some degree--passive-aggressive ones can be harder to detect.

Like others have said, don't let this woman, who was supposed to be a more caring mother, destroy you like that. Look at it this way, you've done all you possibly can and it's time for you. You have a right to it. It's more about the 'how' on enforcing the detachment from her after you hopefully plan to tell her 'what' you can no longer do for her.

And letting you be abused? In my opinion, you have a right to totally cut her out of your life because of her own continued abuse over the years, instead of wanting to repair your relationship. So unfortunately, you don't just have Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, you have Present Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Don't let anyone, including your mom, continue imposing that on you. If you're at the point to taking an easy way out that's your signal to do something drastic for yourself, including seeking the right professional counseling, and get out of this situation ASAP in order to save yourself. One thing I've learned is, no one else is really going to step up for you but you. Picture your relatives saying, "She's had enough. I'm coming to the rescue!" Though I've had talks with relatives as if they'd be there for the seniors in my family, I learned the hard way myself that it's not the case, at least on a daily basis. And there are nurses in my family; a retired one who is home all day at that! They do have their own lives too, but the manipulative part is what turns me all the way off. Don't keep taking it from them; you must stand up for yourself and tell them like it really is; that they need to stop imposing their skewed beliefs on you. Shout it to them if you need to just for them to back off! Tell them to practice what they preach!

You can persevere with this test the same you did with school. Believe me, I get it. I'm going through it as I type. I hope you stay in touch on this board. It's a real eye-opener and a safe haven of a place because it tells the real deal, instead of sugar coating how a 'good daughter' or any relevant 'caretaker' should so-called be behaving. It's one of those traditional beliefs in society that can be scary, because it can easily ruin the lives of so many good people like you, me, and others on this board. So, please don't feel alone and keep reaching out until you get to a place of peace and healing. And most of all, pray about it!
(6)

Caretaker, you have been given some very good advice. Reach out on here, by PM to Countrymouse. Reach out for as long or as often as you need.

My own history has some similarities to your. My mother had severe hearing loss. She used that as club to get her way in any situation. Amazingly, she could only hear her golden child. No one  except a caregiver for a person with severe hearing loss can understand how that parent isolates you from enjoyment of your own life. There's always one more phone call. One more appointment, and the "I want you to do it". I'm 68 and my mother is deceased. It is only in the last two years that I've moved on in my own life. You can find happiness. I've gotten married. I'm able to do things I enjoy. People ask why I stay so busy. The answer is simple. I'm now able to live the life I was always wanted without her always in the background making demands.

You have time to live the life you want. It can happen.

Reach out whenever you need to. Say "no" to your mother or other family members. Start living for you - even if it's small things.

Take good care of your self.
(7)

Think of all the major achievements you were able to secure, in spite of these overwhelming challenges!

You started a healthy routine that involved less tearing away from your life to help your mother and more focus on yourself.  That is not selfish, it is normal growth and progress.  Keep trying.

blamed by her docs?
It is not true that you could prevent her from falling.  The docs are wrong.  Even when you place her where she needs to be, she may fall again when she tries to get herself out of bed against medical advice.  Do not receive or accept this blame.

It is not true that the only option is for you to pay for Mom's placement in an appropriate facility.
That is called "All or nothing thinking" in cognitive thinking therapy.

You can learn even more distancing responses to detach with love.  For example, when she was waiting for you, instead of calling 911 (she could have called them herself), you could have called 911 instead of going.  You are NOT 911.  You need to disabuse yourself from years of conditioned responses and skewed thinking re: your mother.  You can break free, imo.

Keep venting here.  You have us....you have CM.

disclaimer:  No one here will be able to contact outside help for you, such as 911 in case of self-harm.  So do not hurt yourself.  Do not hurt that precious abandoned little child inside of you.
As an adult, it is up to you to protect the child inside of you.  Deep breaths.

Come back.  There is no shame in putting in writing what so many of us have felt and are recovering from.  You do not need to hurt yourself.

"made it through the depression, the PTSD got medically cleared"
You can do that again.  
(7)

Caretaker, you have taken the first step towards recovery. You have reached out for help. Please call your local crisis line and stay on the phone as long as you need to. Or check yourself into the hospital. Find a counsellor or three and book appointments.

If you have a Woman's Sexual Assualt Centre call them. It should not matter when you were abused. I know when I contacted my local one (they recently changed Sexual Assault to Violence in the name), they helped me to understand there are many forms of abuse and I had been the victim of ones I did not even know about, I just knew it was wrong.

I have a beautiful very good friend who was taught by her family that her needs did not matter at all. They covered up the actions of the uncle who abused her and forced her to continue to interact with him. She moved 800 miles away, but the messages still resonate in her head that she is not deserving.

Your family is similar, they will continue to expect you to attend to your mother, unless you very firmly say "No!" and tell them they will have to deal with whatever the problem is. They will make you out to be the bad guy. You will start to hear all sorts of stories about what a terrible daughter you are, ignore them all.

You need to save your own life, not attend to a manipulative woman who does not care about you, except in how you can cater to her whims.

The next emergancy call, tell whoever is on the phone, Mum, family etc, to call 911. You cannot attend. You do not have to give a reason why you cannot attend. No is a full sentence.

Next hospital stay, make it very clear to the social worker that "No" you cannot stay with your mother, nor can she stay with you. They will have to sort out other arrangements, the cannot force you to look after her.

Please talk to someone today, tomorrow and as many days ahead as you need to, to realize that you are a valuable woman who has a right to a happy life. You are a woman who has overcome many obstacales to achieve a career. You are strong. And you are strong enough to say "no more."
(10)

777, are there?

Are you safe? Please reach out, if only to PM CountryMouse.
(4)

CM, if I ever blushed to my roots, it would be quite a scene and end up with my being in the hospital, an anomaly with pure white hair with red at its base.
(3)

Yes, that is true of CountryMouse, but also true of many of you wise people on here including yourself
(3)

I'm blushing to the roots of my hair, and thank you most kindly, BUT

Caretaker - are you reading?
(8)

Karsten, I believe the sun shines on Country Mouse wherever she is, not b/c of the location but because of her strong attitude, self respect, sage wisdom, intelligence, and character.
(10)

Caretaker, I've just thought of two additional aspects to your situation, and one or similar ones in which some folks here have found themselves:

First, you're dealing with people who are either predators, or know how to act like them. I'm not speaking of stalking monsters, but people who know how to manipulate others.

Second, you have a history of abuse and family lack of support, apparent manipulation, and an obvious lack of respect.

Don't take this as a criticism, but I think some counseling could help you re-establish your own self worth and recognize your strengths, which you probably need to stand up to family and your mother.

First thing to do is stop being available. Take a "staycation", don't answer your phones, and if she has a crisis, she'll be forced to rely on someone else.

She's entrapped you into being her go-to for everything; stop being it.

Second thing is think of alternatives for everything you do for her. You don't need o do her grocery shopping. She can use the local senior center's transit van to do it.

List what you've done, which are the easiest to substitute and least critical, or at least not emergencies. When she calls, tell her you're on you want to a meeting, or you're helping someone else, and make suggestions on how she can manage the "crisis" herself.

I know this will be hard to do; she is your mother, even if she wasn't a good one. But you have to start resisting her.

And follow Lizzy's advice; call a suicide hotline. TODAY.
(8)

Don't take the easy way out. You are worth so much more than your narsistic family has ever told you or showed you. If you are at your mother's call a family member and tell them you need them to come over right away, then leave for however long you need to. Block numbers, turn off phone or whatever you can so you don't hear the complaining calls. Do not just leave your mother alone as this could be neglect, I know that feels like an injustice in this whole messed up situation. Go do anything that helps release energy, throw rocks, go buy thrift store dishes and smash away, take a baseball bat to a pillow, anything that burns energy, with every hit, smash, throw...say what you need to, ie I'm not the reason u r deaf, you are not entitled to my effing life, 911 is your future help line, you didn't protect me, anything you need to say. Then after this, make a plan of escape. Hugs and love 2 u!
(4)

Countrymouse is indeed wise and has helped me many times with sage advice. But here is where I am confused. She says she is sitting in the sun in Herefordshire. I have been in Herefordshire and Hertfordshire for that matter and never seen the sun.
(7)

CM, you've created a masterpiece of advice.

Caretaker, pretend you're someone else and reread both CM's and Lizzy's wise advice. What would you advise this person?

I see someone who's trapped in a negative relationship, articulating the abuse and entrapment, but not being able to move beyond that. If your best friend was in this situation, what would you advise her?

One example:

"How can I ever find the time to establish those things if she always finds a way or reason to screw things up more? "

You tell her that you can't fix the things she screwed up. You start backing off. When she tells you she needs something, you tell HER how she can manage it. Then you leave to go shopping, get your hair done, take a walk. But LEAVE her to manage on her own.

If she creates a situation in which she's injured, called EMS.

She sees you as always available, and you are. Change that. TODAY. NOW.

Make lists of all the things she manipulates to trap you; then think of ways she can do them herself. If there are specific instances, post here again. You have to be creative and turn her away to rely on others.

And sometimes you just don't answer your phone; let it go to voice mail.

She's relied on and manipulated you; you're trapped, but you don't have to be.
(12)

Focusing on your first paragraph. While my dad has ALZ my mom is the issue, as she needs help in helping him, as she cannot drive, cannot hear, has anxiety, etc. and wants me the one to help her. In her defense, why not have me help her if I am willig to do it. I had to learn I have to say no quite a bit. Not all the time, but often. When she realizes if I am not the one to help, she will not get help unless she tries to go elsewhere. Of course she is good at this manipulation game, but I have to learn to be better. You have to put up some reasonable boundaries to protect yourself.
(5)

Okay.

I would like you to picture an ordinary middle aged woman sitting on a bench in Herefordshire, England, in the sun, with a cup of coffee, reading three pages of what I can only call... a scream.

Pain, anger, and frustration.

I hear you.

What's happened? Where are you now? At your mother's house? And she fell during the night, so it's now late morning and... is she at home, in hospital, what?

And what do you have to accomplish to be okay for work come Monday morning?
(4)

Care,

Countrymouse will be back in a minute. She is the wise one.

There are answers. You are just too overwhelmed at the moment to see them.

You DO not have to spend your savings to rescue your Mom. That’s not the way this works.

Call a suicide hotline and talk to someone!

There will be plenty of help here with ideas how to manage your Moms situation.  But they might not chime into this thread immediately.
(8)

I am going to print off your post and go and read it outside in the sunshine.

But can you not go anywhere, please? If you feel as if you might fall over the edge, look up suicide helplines either online or in your local phone directory and CALL THEM.

There will be answers. But not if you're not around when they turn up.
(11)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter