Follow

It seems as if the principal chief social issues with early stage dementia seem to be the never ending initiations of conversations over issues that don't matter, exist or are unimportant. The second seems to be all the questions. The third seems to be disruption of the peace. Another one seems to be answering your response with an immediate more authorative or better response from them. Also to smaller degrees disruption of anything authoritative orderful and organized. Wondering if you guys have experienced this in your interactions with your loved one?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I would say your first step is to maybe call elder services on your county they can advise further on your next steps.
(0)

Dear Rbonuc2999,
You are describing my 66yr old husband to a t. I’m so worried about his behaviour. He does all of the things you mention plus, he can’t seem to park the car straight anymore, security is a problem because he sometimes leaves the front door keys in the lock all night, he misses appointments even though I write them down for him and display them, he makes up stories, doesn’t listen and tells me I’ve said things I haven’t etc. He doesn’t think anything is wrong but finally agreed to see the Dr. Put on a superb performance for the Dr , only got two things wrong on the memory test and all the Dr could say was,”Come back in 6mths if you notice any deterioration then we can do the memory tests again!!! I am silently going mad. He is very difficult to live with. I wish I could confide in a friend but I don’t think anyone would believe me as he can come across as very plausible in company. I see the other things though as I live with him.
My parents are elderly and both of them have different types of dementia. I am exhausted with them and don’t think I could go through it all with him too. I love him so much but this could last for twenty more years or so and I’ve already done so many years of this with my parents. I feel that Im being selfish and I don’t know where to turn.
(0)

Remember that to a person with dementia, the questions they ask are important to THEM. We may find the repetition and disruption annoying, but they, with their broken brains, can’t help it. My mother lived her last years with dementia in a world of delusion and hallucinations. I was her co-star on the Broadway stage. She was very upset that “they” hadn’t called her for a while with any “roles” for her. I read up on Alzheimer’s/ dementia and came to understand that this is the disease.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter