Follow

Doctors frequently ask what is your workout regime. You've heard of Jane Fonda and Sweating to the Oldies, I've come up with what I affectionately refer to as "The Caregiver Workout" Strength training: lifting wheelchairs and oxygen tanks into and out of the car, helping patients with bathing, Cardio: Pushing patient in wheelchair, Eye hand coordination: emptying the commode into the toilet, lining up wheel chair feet and arms on the chair. Chime in if you guys think of more.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My MIL's wheelchair dependent so I'm with ya on the pushing, lifting, and eye/hand stuff....I can add Stretching: having to reach for my box of vinyl gloves which I now have to keep in a high cabinet over the wall oven so she doesn't keep finding it, scoffing half the gloves out of it, and squirrelling them away (I have NO idea what she thinks she needs them for, and I'm not gonna ask)
(0)

I love this question! How clever and inspiring to add a touch of whimsy to the sometimes arduous tasks of caregiving!

Right now I can only think of a few:

Tai Chi: balancing an oxygen tank cart while trying to open or close a walker while also being alert to any possible misalignment of balance of the cared for person, and trying not to look too clutzy.

Cardio and activities which require spurt techniques: Dropping everything to run out into the street to stop a loved one who doesn't hear approaching vehicles, while also (a) pushing a grocery cart (b) hauling in laundry or groceries.

Yoga: bending over to pick up things that were just dropped on the floor for storage, or somehow managed to crawl behind or underneath chairs and couches.

Core strengthening: trying to stand and sit straight after hours of driving to medical appointments, shopping, and more.

Mental workouts...sometimes as challenging as doing advanced math. Algebra, statistics and economics courses were easier than the mental challenges of caregiving.

I'm anxious to see what others write!

And thanks to everyone for offering a lighter touch on an arduous task.
(0)

I've always said that physical conditioning truly is one of the real hallmarks of hands on nursing. There is so much physical activity related to patient care as well as simply being on your feet all. At the end of a 12 hr shift one would certainly be notified by their body that their exercise regime was effective or not. You can answer this question yourself and see if your patients notice that their care is either good or bad because of your good or bad exercise routine. Take care of yourself first, and you'll be better at taking care of others.
(0)

I'm failing this one, myself, but strengthening your hand with pumping the blood pressure bulb. I'm not kidding, but I've found yet one more way in which I'm a scrawny weakling. ;-) (ya, I've got them toothpicks fah ahms!!)
(0)

I have a calendar that has an exercise a day which I use, unfortunately I can't find it online, hopefully this helps! express.co.uk/life-style/health/443869/Easy-exercise-every-day-Getting-fit-is-all-in-a-day-s-work
(0)

Leg Squats: Trying to grab the only package of Depends that is stuck at the back of the rack. Running: Pushing the grocery cart around other shoppers to pick up the "supplies" your loved one needs as quickly as possible to get to the facility before visiting hours are over. Upper Body Strength: Carrying in Depends, wipes, chucks, snack food, and water into facility without dropping anything.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter