Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Izabella, It sounds like you are the "Leader of the Pack"...the "Captain of the ship!"...Everyone turns to YOU, follows YOU, waits for YOU to decide! It's hard to be responsible for everyone, and everything, and I know, you probably don't want to let anyone down...right? I am the same way! I am 49, with husband, and kids, and I am the primary caregiver for my MIL. I am an only child. My husband's siblings, who should be involved in their mother's care, AREN"T! I agree with 195Austin, maybe you should have a "family meeting"...lay it all on the table...maybe mom would like being in assisted living (if she is able) where there are activities and others to talk to. Where will you be when the continue to spread yourself so thin? At some point, we have to think of ourselves!...And not just in the shower! PS. I hope you continue to do well! (after your surgery) ..Take Care! :-)
(2)

Izibella -maybe it is time to think of placement for your Mom-she is taking your life away from you and your husband and children-after she passes if she has not killed you what will you have if you lose your husband and children. Maybe you can sit down with your husband and children and ask them what they want and then make a decision about your Mom. When I was caring for my husband I kept waiting for others to tell me he needed to be placed and my therapist said I was waiting for someone to rescue me and that was not going to happen then I decided he needed to be placed and everyone one came to my defence-but I had to be the one to take a stand.
(2)

Nancy, have you been on this site long? People here are very caring and knowledgeable...(I know I have said this repeatedly). I haven't been on long, but I find it helps me cope, everyday, to read and post on AC. I have the "duty" of almost all the care of a MIL, and 2 out of 3 of my husband's siblings live within 25 miles! I am an only child, and thank God MY mother is still healthy! My father passed away 7 years ago. I have had a SD for the last 26 years though, and he now has Alz.! His own kids don't help him! Needless to say, I have been depressed quite often too. Why is it that some of us continually get "dumped" on? I feel quilty saying this, but it is the hard fact! We are ALL too caring! I think everyone here on AC fits into this catagory. We all have "those feeling" at times...it's only human. And, yes, stress will take it's toll...I know first hand too...I am 49, and falling apart! So, my only advice is to take a deep breath, and continue to visit AC where it is comforting to know there are many other caring people dealing with the same types of issues! Take Care of yourself! :-)
(1)

I am searching for answers. Coming from a dysfunctional family makes caregiving extremely difficult. I am very depressed as I have been the only one taking care of my mother the past 5 years when she was diagnosed with Alzheimers. She is 79 years old. Both siblings out of state. No emotional support whatsoever. My mom has suffered from depression, suicide attempts all of her life. Being the oldest all responsibility fell on me since I was a young child. My father was always absent emotionally. Poured himself into his work and outside interests. He passed away 2 years ago. I have plummeted into depression. I feel as if I will never have a life. I am a kind and caring person but feel guilty for feeling this way. I'm having health issues of my own from all of the stress. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Nancy
(1)

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! May you all have a chance to have at least a few special moments today, in whatever way you feel you need! :-)
(1)

I havnt posted on here for a while.. I had another (reconstruction) surgery a few days ago (due to breast cancer).. So I am now recovering from that.. and this one was pretty rough.. but I had to take a min. and post on here..everyone on here has been my leaning post through this time in my life... So.. today I am feeling very torn.. I feel like I am being torn in different directions.. Besides taking care of my mom,I also have my sons who need me,and my husband I know feels like I have put a wall up between us.. But I honestly feel some days like I have nothing left to give to my sons or my husband.. My mom as I often decribe her is like I had another baby.. she depends on me for everything.. from constant questions all day regarding her meds..her aches and pains.. she also gets lonely so she likes to talk ALL day.. then I am the one that does all her Dr appts... bottem line.. I am all she has..And mom is VERY needy.. but then I have my kids who need me..and I have to take all extra time I have and give it to them..I feel very guilty because I know they often see me stressed out w/mom and I dont want them to not come to me.. so I make an extra effort to reach out to them.. and my husband is the type who if he sees me stressed he will just leave me alone.. and that has built a wedge between us.. I have completely forgotten what me time feels like.. I had to stay in the hospital after my surgery and even then I was on the phone w issues regarding my mom.. At times I will admit I get a little resentful.. My mom had her time.. to live..raise her kids..ect.. and I dont have that.. my days revolve around everyone elses needs.. the only real thing I do for me is shower.. I miss my home being what it use to be.. I miss the time I had w/my family and I know I wont get this time back.. soon they will be gone living their lives.. and this makes me so sad because I am missing time w/my kids.. And I know the only soulution is for me to continue to try distribute myself around.. not much of a choice.. This is why when I saw this "how are you doing" thread it grabbed my attention right away.. because no one ever asks me that..
(0)

Marge what you said about your youth was the same as me I was 7 when my sister was born and was expected to care for her and clean the house then 2 yrs. later as a9yr old take care of them both and clean the house and start supper when I got home from school. My sister was the golden child and I was the one who was not going to amount to anything. I have given up any relationship with Mom I do call her often but when visiting I stay at my sister's home-she has seen how Mom picks on my at 71 -me she has me in tears.
(0)

UCantcare2much, Thanks again, coming here and reading the posts are great, and I truly appreciate the encouragement.

Emjo, Thank you also, I'm right now trying to go w/gut instincts, because you know when we can get past some of the b.s., then we can honor our own truth!

Margeaux
(1)

WOW! Cmagnum, I was backtracking this thread and read your post about dysfunctional families, and how we do this dance of not standing up for ourselves I did this for a very long time myself, as I was the eldest of four siblings. When I was a kid, I always felt as if I had to figure out everything myself, as I was from that generation, from remember "latch key," kids? Maybe for some of you that don't know what this is, it means basically the kids came home to find the key hidden under a door mat, or a plant. It meant being home alone, usually since our parents were at work. So I just got so used to being in charge, not being emotionally equipped for this job, of being three other siblings mommy. My sister, who always was acknowledged by both my parents as being smarter, more capable. So for all of my input during childhood, it somehow didn't get validated. My mom also while my sister and me were very young, placed unreasonable demands that we do all the cleaning of her house. Mom had a real weird relationship w/her sister (who was always in our lives) she was narcissistic. There were no boundaries w/respect to her. But anyway, mom used this as a guilt trip w/all of we, her children. e.g., of course my aunt would buy us things. But at times there would be some verbal abuse by this aunt. Mom never put a stop to any of that. So because of mom missing in action as a real parent, I feel that now that my sister is POA, MPOA & living w/mom, she feels somehow I guess she's trying to make that last ditch effort to get some of what a genuine parent should be to a child. I love my mom, but I let go of that illusion a very long time ago. Thanx for writing about this, I'm trying to learn more about this. I realize that at least in my family the boundary thing seemed non-existent. Good conversation! We're really on to something on this thread! Have a great evening to all! Margeaux
(1)

I am sorry I misselled your name.
(0)

Dory I am so sorry for what you are going through-I do not know how you stay there-is there a possibily your husband would go for counsuling with you.
(0)

dgrey63, What terrible living circumstances! I'm wondering just how long you will actualy be able to put up with him! You are taking on way too much stress for YOUR well-being! I wish I had some advice here, but thankfully I haven't had to deal with this type of problem. Hopefully, someone here has something for you! I know I'd be running-from-the-house-screaming!...But, I'm sure that is not an option for you! Read all you can here...my sympathy to you, Beth
(0)

I find myself getting more frustrated everyday. I am the caretaker for my father-in-law ( my husband and I moved in with him last year). He is a 78 year old, O2 dependant ( severe copd/emphysema ) , and alcoholic. He is also never wrong, very rude and stubborn.
I know from what my husband told me, that my FIL was abusive to his wife ( who has been deceased for 35 years ), and never emotionally there for his children.
Since my husband and I have moved in, we have had to deal with a sister who is a drug addict, who we had to evict and serve a no contact order and another one who moved in that is mentally ill.
I sit back and watch the dynamics of a dysfunctional family at work. There is drug addiction and alcoholism. There is dishonesty, denial and shame. No one is happy.
I do not like my father-in-law and I can barely stand to be in the same room with him. Everything is a battle; from getting him to change his urine stained clothes, to washing his hands. Anything I suggest, to enable him to feel better, he argues against. So, here I am, watching a sick, old man drink himself to death and adult children that are unhappy.
(0)

cmag, I also LOVE dairy! How cruel this IBS diagnosis is!!!!
(0)

OK...my bad...It's actually this topic too! :-)
(0)

emjo, Thanks for your input...I am trying to cut out as much gluten as possible right now...it is hard to go "cold-turkey"! Unfortunately, one of my greatest weaknesses is pizza.:-(

Since I am on the "How are you doing" thread...I'd like to take a few minutes to ask anyone who reads this to pray for a dear friend of mine. She is another super human being who needs all the support she can get! (she has Leukemia) I had a long visit with her yesterday, and found out that even in her situation, most of her (large) family is "ignoring" her! Why is it that friends seem to be there more than family? I couldn't imagine not helping out! I had a close aunt that passed away 5 years ago, from cancer, and I was always there for her...unconditionally. I don't know why she didn't tell me about this sooner...maybe she is ashamed of all of them. I just thought, once again, how dysfunctional ALL families are!...But, that's another topic!
(1)

195Austin, You are so right...I think most people ask how you are doing out of habit. They probably walk away not remembering what your answer even was! There are a few of us out there who do listen and care...I think, maybe, they are ALL on AC.com! lol I am certainly enjoying all the comarderie here!
(0)

When my husband was alive and people asked me howI was I always said pretty good hoping they might be interested why I did not day fine-I think most people do not even hear your answers.
(1)

I think that is a good idea having her call your brothers to help out-they may not even know how bad your mother is if they never spend time with her-my mother hides things from my brothers and one only tells her his problems and hardly ever calls and never goes to see her but has time to go to the cape during the summer.
(0)

My wife has IBS and finds that avoiding dairy products or drinking only lactose free milk helps her a lot.

I am glad to see more people finding this thread and that continues to grow.

Prayers and hugs to all and to all good night.
(1)

ucant - the IBS may be related to gluten sensitivity. have you tried eliminating all gluten? It isn't easy, as it is found in most processed foods, but can be done. I have been without it for years. I am glad you feel people here care. I think they do and sharing your feelings, when you are ready, helps. Our family has struggled with IBS issues, and found that modifying your diet helps.
(1)

Banshee, I am so sorry for what you have had to endure. I've read your post a couple of times, and I thank you sharing! I learned a few things: 1) Gluten sensitivity is directly related to Alz. 2) There are others, like me, who have trouble sharing how they truly feel (I have not done so as of yet). I always say, "OH, pretty good." 3) I am going to look into this Gluten sensitivity a little deeper...it may help me...I have IBS, maybe it's related too! 4) There are so many of us who are animal lovers, and will do everything we can for them because they give us unconditional love. 5) No parent is perfect, that's for sure! So, I really do appreciate you sharing! I also hope sharing "How you are doing" has made you feel better! I do believe that "most" of the people here DO CARE! Take care! :-)
(0)

banshee - native american, eh? I have a treaty card - by marriage. I also have allergies ( wheat, barley, oats and rye, and all dairy, watermelon and a few others)which I have not been able to overcome, but once had a bout of asthma when I had some other ailments and told my body that I had enough to deal with and was enough, I wasn't going to have another òne, and I haven`t. The mind can do some wonderful things. I hope you don't let your mum control you with threats of any kind.That is not good for you.
Let us know how your doctor's visit goes. Amazing that you found him. Don;t know about the pets, I was allergic to cats and some dogs and don't seem to ber now. They are such good companions. At my age, I am finally getting to know horses and can call myself a wrangler. Sig other breeds them. Never too late!

Marge, I know you feel you are on the right track and I agree. There is no need to subject yourself to abuse from anyone. I agree with Ucant!
(1)

Margeaux, You keep doing what you know in your heart is right...everyone else in your family will have to answer for themselves when the time comes! You will have NO Regrets! :-) (((((HUGS))))) back at you!
(2)

Do you think I should tell him about my pets? I had allergy shots for 10 years and when I told him I wanted to stop he nearly had heart failure. We compromised and I took them thru ragweed season. I stopped because I had a friend (native american-as am I) and her life revolved around her horses, I found out she was diagnosed allergic to them...How did you overcome this I asked; she replied "I just decided I wasn't going to be allergic anymore." You can do that I asked? Ah-h-h youth...but I lived with 6 indoor cats and a sheepdog for almost 20 years...so something worked!
(0)

WOW How cool is this? Mom just called, threatening to elope or commit suicide (don't worry...threatening suicide has been her control over me since I was 15) so we spoke of alternatives to her living arrangements. She wants to "go home", I told her it was a possible, but no family lives where home used to be. Anyway, she wanted me to find her Dr. (of 40 plus years ago) so I went online and I FOUND HIM!! The allergist who diagnosed me at 8 years of age...guess who is getting a blast from the past tomorrow? I would never have found him without her help on the spelling of the name. Mysterious ways indeed!
(1)

Ok--Deep Breath--I find it hard to share how I am really doing. Experience has shown me that "most" people would rather not know no matter what they say, so I am ignoring logic and taking a leap of faith here. I honestly do not know why I am still amongst the living.
I have been ill for almost half of my life, geez I don't even know how to start. The last year has been a blur. It started off with a chronic sore throat, followed by a kidney stone, then pneumonia, acid reflux, barrett's disease, a double positve DNA for gluten, blood test IgE allergic to corn and wheat, post menopausal bleeding, I am not producing stomach acid, my liver is not filtering properly, calcium is off putting me at risk of breast cancer too. So to sum it up I am allergic to beef, pork, wheat, corn, oats, barley, and rye. Add to that 22 years of fibro pain and a stomach that has a mind of it's own. It sucks, but I have a great DR. who practices functional medicine. I have been off of all the pain meds for almost 4 years as well as any anti-depressants. I am just coming off my last script which is for anxiety.
The really cool part is I am healing. It seems slow but here is what research shows: the fibromyalgia is a result of chronic imflamation due to 54 years of poisoning myself with wheat-gluten---it (the damage) is reversable. I also tested positive for 2 potential pathogens and will know a couple weeks if 3 months of natural antibiotics killed the little buggers.
What follows is one of many reason's I belong on this site: In one of her more sane moments mom told me we were both diagnosed allergic to all those grains when I was 8!! I remember the Dr. telling me, but in my 8 year old mind I thought "allergic to wheat...better stay away from the fields during haying season" I could only relate allergy with sneezing. But mom knew and understood. She CHOSE not to follow the Dr.'s orders. And so here I am.

Just as a side note: In my research I watched a video my doctor loaned me Unlocking the Mystery of Wheat & Gluten Sensitivity by Thomas O'Bryan DC, CCN, DABCN this is what I found...1 out of 5 brain disorders including Alz. is directly due to gluten sensitivity.

So both my parents had G/S and I have a double whammy. The father I never knew died from MS (auto-immune disorder like fibro) and mom with dementia. If you think this might apply to you; contact enterolab online and for $180.00 the red cross will send you a simple mouth swab kit and decipher the results. Insc.
will not pay for this.

Add to this that 3 of my 5 kitties died last year (relax) they were 18, 17, & 18 years old and all are disabled. This week we almost lost Baby, she has been at the vet's all week but is back home with a feeding tube and her future looks brighter than it did last week. Life...it happens if we are ready for it or not...it is how we deal with life that makes all the difference.
That being said, I am open to hear any advice or your story or even a joke.
(0)

Hi UCan'tCare2Much,

I usually go by myself to mom's, since it usually ends up being me staying the night. But my husband goes w/me. Yes, if you read some of what I wrote to 195Austin and a visit just days ago, I'm definitely going to try to schedule the visits when both my sister and niece are not there. The main goal for me is to see mom, doesn't mean I have to see the rest of those people, and their fake egos, nor bad attitudes. Thank you so much for the suggestions, hugs, Margeaux
(2)

Hi 195Austin,
Thank you, for your suggestion, especially about maybe not going into that household. Yes, really I've done this at different times throughout especially what I call, "the reign of terror," while my aunt was still alive. Boy, somehow I was with some kind of wishful thinking fed by my sister's constant need for moral support, which I totally was and continue to be whenever my aunt was giving her and the caregivers a real hard time. I naively thought that now my aunt's passing was going to flow into a happy family, cooperating while still caring for mom and the ALZ. But, I forgot about or probably my denial about the dynamics w/sister-POA, and her daughter, who only seems to be a taker. My sister enlisted me about a week ago to go w/mom to doc's appointment on March 1st, to check her pacemaker. I said, O.K. My sister works 40 hr. job. So recently, she's drawn to my attn, that especially the main caregiver she's had for the last three years, she feels sometimes oversteps boundaries in terms of talking to the doctor's, making appointments, etc. I think this caregiver is great also, she is very affectionate w/mom, and put up w/loads, while auntie was still alive. But my sister seems to view this caregiver as wanting to make extra unnecessary appointments as my sister feels that this caregiver likes to get out of the house w/mom, because then they go out to eat later, and it's an easy day for the caregiver. I don't know about this. I however feel that at some point my sister allowed this caregiver to become too in charge of this aspect of the caregiving, because while my aunt was alive, my sister pretty much was not talking w/my aunt. Although, my aunt's behavior warranted some of this, sometimes I would for example try to suggest to my sister after she'd told me some horrendous story about auntie's rages, "has she ever been checked for Dementia, or ALZ?" My sis's response would be, "Who knows, she's always been a difficult person." So you see, any of my suggestions about complaints my sister makes to me, are many times dissed. I did go visit just the other day, w/my husband. He's great! That day also, I brought to sis's attn., that someone (her daughter, the taker) again left some article of clothing and a hair ornament on the stairs going up to second floor. She's doAne this before, and for safety's sake, I've suggested that this isn't a good idea. Someone could trip, and at bottom of stairs is a marble floor. My sis's response to this was,
"Oh, I always leave things there, that way it saves me having to keep going up and down the stairs, so many times." Now, I again here feel that my sister is trying to always draw attention to the fact, kind of like she's a martyr. But anyway, 195Austin, thank you for your suggestion, and honestly, I'll keep that doc visit, but I think I'm going to start becoming unavailable to my sister. I'm tired of this not being appreciated, somehow being still recruited at some level. Maybe I'll even suggest to her next time, "maybe you should call our brothers." Yes I do work, but it's been a bit slow at the moment. I like Yoga, and actually I'm driven to writing. Thanks for the hug, and hugs to you also, Margeaux
(0)

Hi Jessebelle,
Oh I so identified with the things going on in your family. I certainly related especially to your take about what you said re: not owing to parents the caregiving out of guilt. It's quite interesting, in my family this issue. I am from a family of four siblings. I'm the eldest. We are pretty much like a step ladder in terms of age, one year apart and the last one, 2 years. This made it very tough on me, being the eldest. My parents worked full-time since we were very young.
Grandma was in the picture at first, but very soon....I became mommy. This is why I never had my own kids. I loved my parents, for what they provided, but somehow the nurturing, emotional part lacked greatly! So now as an adult in a caregiving situation, that I do at a distance, since my sister (considered the capable one) in our family-oh those roles, yes...they never die! is POA, in charge. She lives w/mom who has ALZ. Mom's sis was also living there w/congestive heart failure, and just passed away 3 wks. ago. But I've done my share of caregiver back up, relief, and visits. Our aunt who just passed, may she rest in peace, but really gave everyone a hard time throughout her entire life. Mom never stood up to her, and enabled abuse by my aunt. So in essence I've gone back & forth between feeling sometimes guilty, maybe that I don't do enough. But of course, while auntie was living there w/mom, it was so hard to go into the zone of battle, because this is what it was. Then my sister, who is great at running the show, but truth be told she, & my brothers, who never get their hands dirty in any caregiving work, totally hide the ball from me in terms of whats going on especially w/inheritance issues. By saying this, I don't mean to imply that this is a big motivator in my life as to my participation w/mom's health. But w/ the power holders, especially my sister (total control freak), it makes it very difficult for me on a spiritual level. Well, and I've heard way more often than not, that somehow the brothers in the family seem to not get too involved when there are sisters in the family. Do you have contact with the one brother that might be able to help? Anyway, I use some meditation to help me, lot's of deep breathing.
This seems to help me. But anyway, I just want to offer some moral support and share. You're not alone, my dear, Hugs! Margeaux
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter