Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
You are also in what I call a bargaining stage. Thinking she might improve and therefore you are questioning if you’re making the right decision. I’ve been through this so I understand. We want to fix things and we want to tell ourselves they can manage and have their way. Otherwise we have to admit to ourself the sad truth that their dementia is worse and ability to have their "old life before" is gone. It’s not unusual for surgery with anesthesia and then a move to rehab to cause confusion and anger in dementia patients. They are not able to reason out why they are there often times. My dad was in rehab 4 different times. The last two were bad and he really slid downhill and his dementia was worsened by the surgery and moves. He was not allowed to go back to AL. And like you, I had to move him out and downsize and get rid of a lot of his belongings. I either moved some to my house or donated to Salvation Army. When he asks where they are my therapeutic fib is that they are in storage and that satisfies him.
 I wish the best for this transition. It is apt to be bumpy because another move is often hard on them and it can take an average of 3months to adjust. I think you know it’s the right thing but you too are grieving this change in your mom's life and probably feel you are responsible for this move. However...you are not! The choice is made by HER health condition...you need to come to grips with that. My dad is in the stage of blaming me for the move and I can’t reason with him although I’ve tried. It is a sad situation for me.
(12)

I know how you feel. Sometimes there are no good answers, but you pick the best one. It helps to have another family member to bounce ideas around. I stored as much of moms stuff as possible, clean and neat. Tossed the junk and clutter. My mom did improve, though not quite enough to go home from AL. But as she asks for her things I have them, and if she ever gains independent living she will have familiar things.
(6)

When I first needed to started staying with mom 24 hours (she was living with me step father) I stayed at their home, 45 minutes from mine. My mom would be sitting in her own home, where she lived for over 30 years, and say that she wanted me to take her home. That is just a common mantra. Home for a PWD can mean a childhood home, their first adult home, or possibly it refers to just a place of comfort. And I think it can mean something different to each person and can even changed based on the moment. Coming to this realization helped me to make the decision to move my mom to my home. For multiple reasons, it made my life easier and was actually best for my mom. You made that same tough decision... Just be aware that she may be saying the same thing even while sitting on her furniture in her apartment. You are doing what is right to keep her safe and healthy.

Tell her they are putting a new roof on the apartments... It remodeling ... Or the doctor says she needs to stay here for a while.... Any thing that works.

My mom can only occasionally get out a coherent statement and it is still often "I'm going home" I reply, can I come? Let's go in the morning, or next week. It calms her. I tell her things we liked to do together, what we will see, etc.

Much luck
(1)

Before you do anything you might want to find out what kind of medications your mother is on and the side effects. My mother was over medicated in rehab.once her medications were changed she became better.
(7)

You have the same (irrational) fear I do, that they will come to their senses and all their possessions will be gone, and that you have spent all/any money to care for them, and they (she) will be mad at you.
I can tell you from my experience, over the last 4 months, THEY DO NOT COME TO THEIR SENSES. I had to say that to myself daily, in the beginning. I still have such guilt over having their home cleaned out, items donated, items sold at auction, and items I kept because they mean a lot to me. I cried about it today... I still have to sell the house, I'll cry then too and have that irrational fear of them coming to their senses, or getting out and having no where to go, and then I will tell myself, "THEY ARE NEVER GOING TO COME TO THEIR SENSES."
Then I tell myself, "they are safe, clean, fed, receiving medical care, and I can sleep knowing they are cared for 24/7, and most of all they are together."
You will feel all sorts of emotions during this time:
Anger, grief, mourning, fear, anxiety, denial, overwhelmed... and after each emotion visits, you'll pull yourself back up, do what you need to do as a responsible adult and daughter, and get more done. Then you'll ride the wave of another emotion, and pick yourself up all over again...
You ARE doing the right thing!!
(26)

Both my parents are now in a nursing home and we recently had an estate sale of their belongings. Even though my father had two healthy pensions in addition to both of their Social Security checks, Medicaid will have to pick up the rest, so we have to sell their house.  The estate sale is to cover incidentals and their life insurance policies. My siblings and I worked hard to clear their house and get it ready for the sale. We already have a buyer.
     My feelings about all this? Well, in the two weeks we were working in the house, all I could focus on was the work at hand. Now, I have moments of guilt and sadness because I know neither of them would have wanted their house to be sold or to have strangers buying the things it took a lifetime to accrue. My mother still thinks she can take care of the both of them, even though my siblings and I took care of them for over 15 years with increasing levels of care and 24/7 for the last seven. This whole care-giving journey has been a dichotomy of feelings. Yes, I feel guilt and sadness, but I also recognize how necessary it was. It’s just that knowing that doesn’t make it any easier.
It has just greatly impressed upon me how narrow our world can become as we age. They are living together in a small, but comfortable room, with just enough possessions for their needs or to make it cozy - photos on the walls, flat screen TV, wardrobes, chests of drawers, beds, stereo, CD player, DVD player, and other decorations. When they die, they will have even less to go into the coffin.....as will we all. What they do have are children and grandchildren who visit them and advocate for them on a daily basis. Children and grandchildren who are still speaking to each other even after the stresses of all we have gone through with trying to take care of them and keep them in their home, when they started to fail in their early 70’s.  Even though we were raised in a home marred by alcholism and mental illness.
The children and grandchildren and even great-granchildren got a few things from the house which makes us feel as if we will have something tangible to remember them by. We never expected an inheritance.
It just occurred to me. Both my father and mother received an inheritance from their parents and never did any caregiving. All their parents died within a short time of becoming disabled and infirm and at an earlier age.
       I’m sorry to make this post all about me, but I do understand your feelings. Think, as you are clearing out her apartment, “My mom is still alive, and I can go see her when I finish this”. You will have more time to be a daughter, as well as an advocate for some time longer. Endings and change are always hard, but they can be for the better.
(26)

I know how you feel. You may be spending many of your waking AND sleeping hours thinking about how she feels, what she's thinking, if she's ok. I realized I was doing that and that my health was suffering. I can't afford to let that happen because she needs me to be healthy and if there's a life after this, I want to have some. Could you just tell her, as I did, Mom, the doctor said you need to be in a place with more care, and so you are there now and I am SO relieved. I can relax now and you and I can spend good times together instead of being in the hospital and in pain. So hang in there, mom, and even if you don't like it as much, please know it's better for you and better for me. I'm getting too old for all the emergencies. Try this. It worked for me and it was all true.
(22)

You have to go with the pragmatic daughter now. This is the point where the translation to care needs to be made. I did it recently with both parents after major crisis hit. The relief of getting them safe in a good place is much greater than the guilt. It’s been just over 3 months now. It was tough sledding but they’re adjusting to the new reality finally.
(20)

When I first needed to started staying with mom 24 hours (she was living with my step father) I stayed at their home, 45 minutes from mine. My mom would be sitting in her own home, where she lived for over 30 years, and say that she wanted me to take her home. That is just a common mantra. Home for a PWD can mean a childhood home, their first adult home, or possibly it refers to just a place of comfort. And I think it can mean something different to each person and can even change based on the moment. Coming to this realization helped me to make the decision to move my mom to my home. For multiple reasons, it made my life easier and was actually best for my mom. You made that same tough decision... Just be aware that she may be saying the same thing even while sitting on her furniture in her apartment. You are doing what is right to keep her safe and healthy.

Tell her they are putting a new roof on the apartments... Or it is being remodeled ... Or the doctor says she needs to stay here for a while.... Any thing that works.

My mom can only occasionally get out a coherent statement and it is still often "I'm going home" I reply, "Can I come? Let's go in the morning, or next week." It calms her. I tell her things we liked to do together, what we would see if we went, etc.

Much luck
(22)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter