Follow

A while back someone asked how to get their mother out of wearing muumuus in public...I took that image and got an idea...Yesterday I put on a bright orange hibiscus muumuu and visited mom in MC with a matching bright orange gift sarong/wrap, plus some colorful leis and my ukelele. We visited Hawaii, so to speak. I’m curious if anyone else in MC will think they visited Hawaii as well, but in any case it was a positive experience and I’ll probably do it again!

People on this forum have also mentioned behavior/personality changes with dementia. It finally happened w/my mom and she entered period of not complaining ( !!! ) and being super sweet and appreciate to people around her and to me. Frankly I’ve been eating it up. Based on yesterday’s visit that window is starting to close but I’m SO glad to have experienced this firsthand in a good way.

Thanks so much to this forum, and to the muumuu post!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Highly recommended! I always wear a dog face mask when I go to the MC, it seems very popular with mom & the residents, so I figured I’d fully commit to the muumuu party look!

The nice window seems to be starting to shut, but I’ll be doing this again. If anything it makes me feel better and if not mom then some of the other residents too.

Full confession I ran some errands muumuu style afterwards and nobody batted an eye hahahaha
(2)

What a great idea!! So glad your mom enjoyed your 'trip to Hawaii' and I'll bet the other residents enjoyed it as well. Sensory stimulation is always a good thing for elders in general, I think.

I always love it when my mother with dementia stops complaining, even though it tends to be very short lived. It's nice to be able to visit with her without negativity permeating her every word. Here's to more good visits filled with positivity!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter