Follow

Hi there. I just want to thank you, and clarify that I 'know' I can't get in there, lol. Like I said, I'd have to be hit by a Mac Truck to get in there. I don't wish any ill health on me either.

I looked after my husband at home for two years. I finally had to call it quits when I was making mistakes. I was too tired and felt he wasn't getting the care he needed. I was the one who put him in a home. When he was here I got ONE HOUR a day from PSWS and nothing else. We didn't have the money to hire help. I didn't realize just how much the home would cost and I figured I would find a way, somehow. He has a brilliant mind and Mike and I talked from our first date and are still talking about everything! He's a technical illustrator and he suffers from COPD, not Alzheimer's or dementia. His roomate is a sullen man who never talks.

It broke my heart to part like this, but I had no choice. He needs the care. I liked the answer that perhaps God is giving me what I need, not what I want. That could very well be true. I am taking an apartment almost next door to 'the home' and will be there more often than I am now. Thanks to everyone who responded and welcomed me.

Temper

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I said that because I thought he 'did' have dementia. Then I found out it was lack of oxygen. The cannula? kept coming out of his nose and he would lose it for two or three days.
(0)

I have no idea why I would have said that??? Odd. Maybe 'I'm the one who has dementia , dear Lord! I never read what I'm posting and though perhaps Alzheimers was a prerequisite to getting on the list. I dunno.
Sorry peeps.
God Bless and forgive.

Temper
(1)

I trust that you have seen an eldercare attorney about division of assets and applying for Medicaid.

Good luck!
(1)

FYI, you put this post under the "Alzheimer's & Dementia" category, and in your profile, you say that you're caring for your husband who's suffering from Alzheimer's/dementia! From your profile: "I am caring for my husband Mike, who is 82 years old, living in a nursing home with age-related decline, alzheimer's / dementia, anxiety, lung disease, and vision problems."

So you may want to change that info and not put future posts under the dementia category to avoid confusion on that subject. Many many dementia sufferers DO have brilliant minds, by the way, and were doctors, lawyers, engineers and college professors before they were afflicted with the horrible condition. I'm glad to hear your husband is not among those unfortunate souls.

It sounds like a great idea that you're getting an apartment so close to the Skilled Nursing Facility he's in, so that you will be able to visit him often and stay for long periods of time. Maybe it's also a good thing his roommate never talks.......he could be a chatterbox who never shuts up, which would truly be a nightmare for your DH!

Wishing you the best of luck figuring out this whole situation and I hope it all works out for the best. I'm sorry you're in this position to begin with, but at least he's getting the 24/7 care he needs at the SNF, right?
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter