Follow

Went back to our doctor he prescribed what she originally had. The drug is .25 mg Risperidone. So far no adverse reaction.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Xanax is an anti anxiety medication under the classification benzodiazepines. It can help with panic attacks, anxiety and agitation.

Risperidone is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, irritability associated with autistic disorder). This medication can help you to think clearly and take part in everyday life. Risperidone is an atypical antipsychotic.

Medications act differently in the elderly. The rate of absorption and excreting may be delayed. Your best bet would have a geriatrician treat your mother. They are familiar with how the elderly body works.

p.s.
Mikkimball, Xanax doesn’t really wear off quickly.
From American Addiction Centers;
On average, Xanax has an elimination half-life of about 11 hours (though the range is from about 6-27 hours—sometimes higher in obese patients). This means that it takes a healthy person’s body 11 hours to get rid of “half” of a dose of the drug.
It just seems quicker when you are overwhelmed with anxiety.
(1)

I'm really surprised. I've never heard of a small dose of Xanax causing a reaction. Was she allergic to it? I've actually taken double that amount and had zero response. Less than an aspirin. My dad and cousin take it on as need basis and it seems so mild. For them it has a slight calming effect. Interesting how different people react.
(1)

So glad you were there, able to explain the side effects and the issues with xanax. It is a very powerful drug. I am relieved your Mom is getting some relief now. Good work!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter