Follow

Just an update. Both of my parents have now passed. Life was very difficult for the past 4 years. Although I am glad I was able to be their caregiver, in doing so, it took a lot out of me in every sense. To those of you trying to be a caretaker alone, PLEASE read and listen to others who have been through it. It is a huge undertaking. With dementia and Alzheimer’s, you will eventually need outside help if your caregiving goes on for years. We ended up using additional caregivers and placing my folks in facilities as well. It’s still an all consuming task and it’s more then any one person can handle. In addition to the care given, the mourning also can take a lot out of you. Sometimes love means having to do things that aren’t popular or wanted. You can still be heavily involved with your loved one once they are placed into memory care. The difference is it’s on your terms and your life can get back to some type of normal. Good luck to all of you as you travel the path on your caregiving road.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Alzh101, I am sorry for your loss.

I pray that you can get some rest and find your balance.

May God grant you grieving mercies and strength during this time.

Thank you for your encouragement to all the caregivers here or who will be here.

Hugs!
(1)

Thanks for the notes. Yeah, I’m just exhausted and am wondering if I’ll ever get my energy back. Right now it’s a struggle just staying awake throughout the day.
(1)

Alzh, be good to yourself and take your time.

I don't know what I would have done without this site, either.

I am sorry for your loss.
(3)

Alzh101, thank you for the update. My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.

Oh how I wished I had found this website BEFORE my elder parents needed help but who goes looking for such information until one is pushed off into the deep end. I would have set boundaries very early on, because after a certain amount of time it is too late.

It will take time to mend, as this journey can take a lot out of you. It's been two years since my folks had passed, and I still haven't gotten my energy back :(
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter