Follow

I had this quote randomly show up on my FB feed, and I can’t tell you how this helped me in so many ways. Maybe someone here needs this advice as well

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I actually disagree with this. Here's my food for thought. As I tell all, pick up what works and let the rest sit.
There is a whole disagreement among psychologists about what is best for their patients. Many just sit and sit and listen and listen, and support and support that "These feelings are normal" and "And how does that FEEL" and on and on endlessly. What the person seeking help has then is one more friend to listen to the litany. When we are troubled and get ourselves in habitual ways of reacting we follow the same endless paths that lead us nowhere. We count on these listening posts to reassure us that we are "good" and "oh, poor you" and so on. Wonderful, but doesn't really help us. We KNOW that but we keep doing it because it is "comfortable" and represents "the known". It gives a momentary relief. Stress on the momentary.
Then there are the psychologists who tell you going in "This is a partnership; you won't find me to be a silent partner who listens to repeats of the same tale over and over again; I WILL give you input in order to shake you up, to rattle the thinking".
That is the help I find useful. Where you leave the session feeling like you are a neat scrabble board with known words that just got thrown up in the air. A mess to sort through. To think about. To reconsider.
Sure, we need a friend to support us. Hopefully more than one. We don't always want or need input. And we should SAY so if that's what we are looking for. We see many OPs come and say "I don't have a question. I just need to vent. I need to let off steam." That's great. But it doesn't bring solutions from habitual ways of doing things. We get to let off the steam just great, but it starts rebuilding at once.
I am one who likes to shake it up a bit.
When people come to Forum they come for help. Some of us will try to help by supporting and listening. So of us will try to help by shaking it up a bit so new thinking can get in. I am that latter one. I think you may be the former.
The OPs come for help. They may not always be "comfortable " or even "comforted" by what they hear, but they are free to leave the luggage lie and pick up the briefcases that work for them.
Just my opinion. I think this is a great subject for discussions, and could be valuable for all of us.
(0)

i like your quote, Grandmaof8! :) :) thanks!! :) :)

and beatty -- terrible/silly reaction of that person to your injury. there are mannnny silly people like that.
(0)

Definately words of wisdom. I know this but often need reminding! Thank you Grandmaof8 😄

I remember telling a work 'friend' about an injury. Received a story-topper reply "Oh I had that, but mine was much MUCH worse! Could hardly move/breathe/eat/didn't sleep a wink! But I STILL came to work. I didn't take time off. Did you?"
😖
(1)

Love it! 😚

Here's another two good ones:

Don't be upset from people you don't respect

Stop expecting honesty from people who lie to themselves
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter