I’m really not sure where to post this, as it’s advice for caregivers in the UK, I understand that most of the people on this forum are in the US, and I have to say I really appreciate the advice that you all take time to give. I found out recently that my Mum may be exempt from paying council tax as she has what the council classify as severe mental impairment but she still lives alone. I completed the appropriate form and gave it to her doctor to confirm. The doctor backdated it to 2011. Today I received a cheque for her, refunding her council tax since 2011 which amounted to over £9,500. I just want to get the word out there as I’m sure there are many people who are unaware of this exemption.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Hi GardenArtist, yes it’s a local tax that is paid to the council for refuse collection, roads, street lighting, schools, water and sewerage. It is based on the value of the property you live in.
I should probably add that I am in Scotland but I assume the rest of the UK has the same exemption.

Angela, I'm in the US and don't really understand what a council tax is, but I think that's a pretty progressive approach to take for seniors with challenges.

Is council tax something like a local property tax, based on the assessed value of property?

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter