Follow

I was trying to find a way to get rid of all the guns. Guns have been my husbands life long hobby. He collects, builds, reloads etc Knew I had to get the guns out of the house but he would go crazy if I even said anything. For now I think this will be a goo answer.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thank you
(0)

I had an issue with this when I became a caregiver. My mother kept a loaded gun near the door, for "stopping intruders". The problem? Dementia and she was going blind... my biggest fear was her not recognizing me, my brother or one of her grandchildren one night. So the gun "went missing" one night. It's in a lockbox in my closet now, she can't get into my room and would never ever *ever* think to look there even if she could. There are still a lot of other guns in the house (dad was a hunter before his stroke, there are several rifles and shotguns), but there is *NO* ammunition. One of our neighbors is a police officer, I asked him to check them all for me one day when I had both parents out of the house. No ammo, everything has the safety on, and most of them have had their firing pin removed, so while they have the guns on a shelf in their room (well out of anyones reach), there is no danger of injury or accidents with them. Best part is that they don't even realize that the guns are disabled and have no ammo. Guess that's one good thing about dementia/stroke patients?
(4)

i understand the comment about it being his life. My FIL is 91, can hardly walk but is still sharp, and wants to hunt. Hubs and cousin take him to "his" spot" on the 4 wheeler, get him set up on a stool and drive the game to him. Two years ago he fell off his stool in the tall grass.. hubs went to look at him and he was GONE ! Poor hubs about passed out.. then he heard him laughing. You gotta roll with it at thier age.. just glad MIL has the ALZ and not Dad....
(1)

Thank you all. Yes everything is neat and marked. No black powder for muzzle loader. Every firearm worth a good bit and I count on being able to sell them to help with his care. I just don't dare to try to do it yet. We gave all the kids their pick several years ago. So plan as of now...jam reloader, remove powder and ammo. He has been asking me for the combo on safes then hs a hard time getting them open. I guess I need to "forget" the combo or give him wrong numbers. Boy, I hate this, this was his life.
(1)

You need to be careful with the gun powder for re-loading also. It is highly flammable and if he has any black powder for a muzzle loader, black powder is explosive. Just FYI
(0)

You can jam the reloading equipment.. Its not that hard...LOL and misplace the supplies. We removed the bullets when Dad got iffy... If her hubs is a gun guy, his ammo is all neatly put away.. they normally dont hide a bullet or two.Because they were trained to be safe. Now they are not, but I would guess his stuff is all organised. However, saying that I do agree to lock up all the guns you can .. and lose the key or change the combo for the gun safe. If you have the police or anyone "take " the guns, have them taken to a reputable gun shop and resold... you may be surprised what they are worth. And if you have a son or grandson, they may want some that were passed down from Gramps or greatgramps. Of course, I live in the country and my hubs comes from a hunting heritage.. so I may see this differently. If no one wants them, sell them.
(4)

A person with dementia who might "go crazy" if his guns are taken away? Now, that's frightening. Go to the local police station and tell them of your concern. I had the state police come and remove my father's guns.
(3)

I don't know if it is possible to get all the ammo out of the house. Bullets can hide in small spaces. Maybe your husband will be okay with locking the guns away. It will be sad when the key gets lost.
(2)

See if law enforcement will come to the house and assist you in removing all the guns from the house. Tell him "doctor's orders."
(0)

Or could you substitute blanks for actual ammo? I don't know if he'd be able to tell the difference if his dementia is very advanced. I'd need a friend to help me do something like that, as I don't know anything about guns. Someone at a gun shop would probably be able to help you with that.
(0)

You are so silly. He will just make more.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter