Follow

What facilities in Columbus Ohio will take my Dad for a weekend or a week if we decide to take that long away. I didn't know any assistant living place would do this or had available rooms for such stays. I have been wanting a place that could do this. Thank You, Mindy

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Research A Place For Mom (dad's included) They have a network of assisted living places where you can go for any length of time without being tied into a long term contract. It is however, private payer.
(0)

The VA offers a respite program but is difficult to get a bed. I also need help in Miami, Fl. I am the sole caretaker of my partner. I want to take time off to see my grandson. My partner wont allow someone in the home. Any ideas would be so helpful
(0)

I experienced the same thing with my mom, but I was fortunate enough to have a sister and a friend that would help me out. (Of course, I worried about her the whole time.) I live in Virginia so don't know about Columbus, but there has to be a agency that can help you out. Have you checked with your local Social Services? Also, you should check with any nursing agencies in your area. I don't know how much care your dad needs or if he is living with you, but here, you can get a nursing assistant or patient care assistant to come in temporarily. I am sure you need the vacation so good luck. I will keep you in my prayers.
(1)

Contact them. They are the best. Within 4 hours they had me in touch with 4 assisted living places and 3 home health agencies.
(2)

I would enter respite care columbus ohio area on my computer should come up with a few suggestions. Good luck.
(1)

My family hasn't taken a vacation together in 6 years.
(1)

I would look for respite care in your area. many nursing homes offer respite and medicare will pay for it. I would start with the nursing homes and ask if they do respite if not I am sure they will know who does. take care...
(1)

I researched this last night. Had pretty good luck with entering respite care and my area on my computer, came up with quiet a few leads.
(0)

We try to keep any trips within a days drive and I take mom with us. We always get a two bedroom place. We have no where to leave er either. The ones we have contacted would be more than what we can afford (more than our vacation). So far it has worked out okay. Of course, mom locked us out one night after she went to bed she put the chain on the door and then went back to sleep. It took an hour for her to answer the phone by her bed. When she opened the door, she announced "Why I sure as hell didn't do that!" Seems as long as we feed her 3 times a day she does well. The crazy talk, well, you get use to it.
(3)

tlhanger, your mom sounds like my sm for she don't do anything either.
Mindy, I found out here in GA for us to drop the mnl for a few days in case we had an emergency that we had to get paper work filled out, a doctor's note stating she has had a TB test, they still could not say they would have a room for they don't hold them. They rather have long-term clients if u know what I mean n the price, OMG! $172.00 per night!
As for nursing homes, I am not sure that Medicare will pay for it for just 'respite care?' I think they have to had been in a hospital n the doctor recommends them their n then I think Medicare will pay up to 21 days. Not for sure but I would just start doing some calling n find out what their process is so u know ahead. If you know someone that will help that would save u tons of money n paper-work n if your mom can get along it helps too. Mindy, if u find out anymore please share about the medicare or medicade stuff. Good Luck
(0)

What you need to do is contact some nursing homes that offer what is called respite care ( short term stay) once you do find one that offers what you are looking for they will help you get it started ( it can be costly so I hope you have some insurance for that). I know how it works I have done it for my mother who I wear I take care of all by myself I live in the midwest area and she has a case worker who assisted in this process. I am looking forward to doing respite again some time this year before it snows LOL. I hope that this is good info for you.
(0)

I have not had a vacation without my parents in five years...since my mom's stroke. The second year into her stroke recovery, we had my dad, myself,and a caregiver. We lost dad in march of 2011. In two weeks, I am taking two caregivers and my mom to Va.Beach. She is very excited. It makes her feel less of a burden I think. I have two older brothers who change absolutely nothing about their lives. I have a caregiver who has been with my mom and dad since her stroke in 2007. Since then, she and her boyfriend have become more like siblings to me than my siblings. They both go way way above and beyond for my parents, now my mom. I am thankful for them, for without them I would be totaly on my own and lost.
(1)

Check with your LOCAL government agency. There are programs which offer respite to the family caregiver at little or no cost at all. I know in MI, a caregiver is entitled to 2 weeks twice a year (1 month total), where a loved one is completely taken care of. This will allow you to take your vacation with your family and rest up a bit yourself. There are similar programs in other states as well
(0)

Purplerain, I like the name u picked. I thought for a nh that a doctor had to recommend them their for insurance to pay for it. My mil only has Medicare. I had no idea they would keep someone for a week-short term. I will have to check that out. Of course, I have a house full of pets too. But a week break from caregiving n if it not over our budget sounds great for I only get 4 hrs a wk.

Camilles, that sound so hard to be true a 2 wk twice a yr. I have a lady coming over next wk from alz association to do an assessment n I am going to ask her about this for that just sounds like hog heaven even if it is a one week break.

Sredford, sound great you have 2 caregivers to help out with your mom n I am sorry for the passing of your dad last yr. As for relatives, I beleive that as long as we do the job they feel they don't have too n that they have their own life n we don't have one sometimes. I believe they actually think that mess. Sometimes, you have to let them know that you need help n let them know you have a life too. Unfortually, for me I have the mil n we cannot trust any of her family members n one Neice is as old as she is n can only help once in awhile. But, I appreciate it when she can offer. Yet, I have sit plenty of hours with her Neice while she was in hospital with the mil.
(0)

I live in Columbus Ohio and am trying myself a 4th agency for aide care. I understand!!! Medicaid is the line in the sand. If the agency takes it I'm told care is less. I hope this one works out. In answer to your question I too live in Columbus Ohio and would love to talk to you about home health care. I don't know if you can private message me but if you can and want to lets talk. And I can offer SOME time but I'm pretty busy. I am GOOD with people. I am not an aide. Just a mother. But I might be able to help a little bit. At least I'm honest...can provide references. My work history is office/data but my private life is caring for others. Disabled in my family....I know how hard it is. I found one in a pharmacy...a local lady. Everything sounded great and I liked her a lot. Right up til I said I wanted to do a reference check....she disappeared...said she'd call me back and never did. Scary how close I came to hiring her. Maybe offline we can share experiences and help each other with local references. If you want. I'm really busy this week but will try to get back online tomorrow. Hang in there. Lynne
(0)

No doubt it can be a hardship, but does $172 a night include room board meals and attendance of an elderly person?
Just comparing, I stayed at a Hampton Inns for business this month in Orlando for $186 and one in Naples for $155, so by comparison the $172 rate does not sound excessive.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter