Follow

Suggested Reading: Consumer Reports Nov 2015: Lies, Secrets, And Scams-Seniors and Their Families Lose Billions of Dollars Each Year To Heartless Fraudsters. Here, Learn How You Can Help.

Important article to read even if it hasn't happened (yet) to your family member.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thanks for the tip. I just spent a week visiting my parents who are in the mid eighties. They would get at least five crap/charity calls per day. I intercepted some calls and these guys are really bold cause they know it's virtually impossible to catch them.

My Dad has dementia and I'll think he's talking to an old fishing buddy until I listen very closely. These guys really know how to play it. I've grabbed the phone and told them to takes this number of the list, don't you ever f. Ing call here again, and they're calling again the next day. Luckily I have control of all the finances so not much harm can be done but it's simply amazing what scum is out there.
(2)

My MIL was writing about $500 a month in checks for "charities" and contests. She also was taken by the "grandparent" scam. Thankfully, she sent her $4,000 cash via USPS (not the FED EX) overnight and the USPS was able to intercept it.
(1)

(0)

Teaka, I'm so sorry to learn that your grandmother was scammed. These parasites are the scum of the earth; they do learn tactics to specifically deal with older people, and know how to play to them. They also try to intimidate anyone.

When I called Doctors w/o Borders, which from what I've read does provide a lot of charitable work in impoverished countries, I asked them to remove my name, stating that I have no money to give (true). The brassy woman said she would, then asked how often I want to receive solicitations? Duh? Does "I don't want your solicitations" mean something other than that?
(3)

My dad is staying with me on an extended visit. The other night I over heard him talking on the phone to someone & giving them my first & last name. I was beside myself! I told him not to give out my personal information over the phone! I said if they did not know my name already I did not want them to know it. He was very bewildered & did not seem to understand why I was upset!
(1)

I am holding my breath with my Dad and him answering the telephone. Usually it takes 10-15 rings before he will pick up as he moves with the speed of the Tim Conway elderly man character on the old Carol Burnett shows. So far Dad knows if someone asks for his credit card number or social security number not to hand it out.

The other day Dad said he got a call from a roofing company that they saw holes in his roof. So Dad was quizzing me about that.... told him it was a scam.
(1)

Much of the fraud directed against seniors arrived by means of a phone call. I wonder how the idea got started that each of us must have a phone, ready to receive incoming calls. We have a land line phone, but it's only for making out going calls. We have no phone that accepts incoming calls. That means no scam calls arrive, nor any wrong number calls. So what do we use instead ? Email. I love email because I choose when to deal with it. With telephoned incoming messages, the maker of the message chooses.
(0)

I've had lots of emails from the government demanding I pay taxes I supposedly owe, and I recently had one from my bank offering me a line of credit, emails are not always safe.
As for choice, I can choose not to answer calls from unknown numbers.
(1)

One thing the Commonwealth of Virginia is doing, they are planning to put into place with the banks that if any large amounts are being drawn out from a senior's bank/checking account that a third party [family member, friend, etc] will be called to verify the amount and to whom it should go. That will help with all those "cat-fish" type emails that get snagged by seniors.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter