Follow

Momlover's mother passed away April 22, 2016. She died after her intestines ruptured in an understaffed nursing center Thank you for all your support . Then she was recovering, but the POA put a DNR on file and she survived the removal of the ventilator 4/18/16, then the POA rushed palliative care 4/20/16 and she passed 4/22/16 on the morphine drip.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I lost one of my favorite long term patients to ruptured intestines. Non-verbal, could not tell anyone what was wrong, or even be clear about where it hurt...
(1)

Sorry, hit "send" too soon - I should mention that I do not believe palliative care was rushed in this case. Ruptured intestines are rarely a survivable injury, especially not in a frail elder's case, where there are already other co-morbidities at play.
(2)

Freqflyer - if you've read Momlover's previous posts, she has always been of the opinion that she could care for her mother at home, and that she didn't need to be in a nursing home. Stating that she died in an "understaffed nursing center" and that palliative care was "rushed" just follows along with that. I'm not saying this to be harsh, just that these statements follow the previous pattern of speech - that no one else knows what is best for her mother but her and that everyone is trying to rush her mother's death.

I am sorry for your loss, Momlover - or whoever is posting in her stead, since the post is written in 3rd person perspective.
(1)

Angel is right concerning a ruptured intestine - which ties into freqflyer being right concerning palliative care and pain meds. My son suffered two intestinal perforations when he was 13. At a few points we were moments away from losing him and he was in horrible pain. The Drs said it was a miricle he survived and attributed a lot of it to him being a very healthy kid - up until his accident. I was beyond thankful when they were able to finally get his pain under control - and it took a lot of drugs as even at 13 he was 6' tall and individuals with autism usually have a very high threshold for pain. It was an amount an elderly, compromised person would not have been able to survive. Please momlover, try to take a measure of comfort in knowing your mom is no longer in pain and now in a place where she is whole and happy - in according to her religious faith.
(2)

Momlover123, so sorry for your loss.

I am wondering why your wrote "rushed palliative care" as though it was something wrong to do. It wasn't wrong, it was placed to give your Mom the up most comfort. And would you wanted your Mom to be on a ventilator for months on end? That wouldn't have been in the best interest of your Mom's care. It was time for your Mom to transition over into the next life.

After the grief, I hope you can find it in your mind to believe that everything humanly possible was being done for your Mother. I know in your other postings, you were second guessing what everyone was doing.
(1)

The survival rate after a ruptured intestine is extremely low...and in an elderly person, it's almost zero...so I'm confused by your statement that your mother was non-terminal. Have you spoken to a medical professional about this? They will be able to educate you on this extremely serious and deadly condition and perhaps ally your fears that your mom was rushed to death.

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.

Angel
(2)

Actually - this is true. And I was also of the belief that Momlover was a troll. I have seen pics of momlover with her mom on two different website. Momlover is a lovely looking woman - I don't know what I expected / I guess I always assumed if she was real she would look somewhat deranged. I was wrong and I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the loss of your mother, also.
(1)

Totally false story, momlover is at it again, attention seeking.
(0)

So sorry for your loss. Ruptured intestines are rarely survivable and bring much pain and other problems. Not knowing whether surgery was performed or the full history I would suspect having Palliative care was a kind decision.
The DNR was probably placed to prevent things like the ventilator being placed again.
Morphine has such a bad reputation but is no worse than any other opiod and when pain is severe as would be expected in this case it truly is a blessing
(5)

Oh my.. So sorry for your loss..
(1)

Condolences on your mother's death.
(1)

I'm so so sorry for your loss.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter