Follow

Hi all. It's been a while since I posted. I don't even remember when. A lot has been going on. I have been taking care of my mom for what seems like forever, and I just wanted to pop in and remind us all to remember to do your best to take care of yourself too.

I went and got a lot of therapy. Like, nearly daily sessions. It is hard to try and manage a parent, especially one that is stubborn, difficult, angry and horrible. To some degree I have seriously backed off and let outside help come in. My mom luckily enjoys the ladies that come and help her a couple times a week and while not cheap at all, I'm grateful she has the resources. I know not everyone does. I don't care what I'd have to sell to be able to keep the outside help up.

Mom still tries her antics with me on occasion but now. It's just, "Ok mom, see you later." Gasoline doesn't need a match.

Wishing you all well, good to "see" you all again.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
So glad that you are able to have time for yourself now. Looks like the money, time and energy spent on therapy was well worth it!

I am glad that your mom is satisfied as well. It’s heartbreaking to hear that some people are so attached/controlling with their children that they don’t want anyone else caring for them.

By the way, I think you are a great caregiver because you are taking time out to care for yourself. Burned out caregivers don’t always give the best care because they are exhausted all of the time.
(0)

What a positive update. Made my day.
(1)

Great News! Keep your resolve!
(0)

It really has, and I'm grateful I took that step.
(1)

It was a lot of hard work, but I just remembered and told myself that no one put me on this earth to be miserable. It's up to me to navigate this. Is it always easy, no, but until one day when it is no more, it has to be sustainable. I always felt like it was my problem to "fix" my mom but it isn't. All I can do is try, but I'm ultimately responsible only for me.
(5)

Wow, how wonderful to have an update from someone doing so well. Has to be good guidance to others, and good hope for a manageable future to some currently posting.

Thanks so much for coming back. I can only hope that you will STICK AROUND with us and help to answer; there are so many who need help to hear from you what worked for you and how much you have learned.
(3)

Thanks for the update. Seems that therapy gave u the tools u needed.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter