Still no diagnosis.

Follow

My mother started having issues right before Xmas. We went to a neurologist last month and are waiting for cognitive tests to be set up before the doctor will make a diagnosis. He suggested maybe FTD or stroke. Anyway still no cognitive tests and my mother now wants to die. She is sure she has Alzheimer's even though the doctor said it was not that. She sits at home all day and thinks of all the weird things she's done over the past 10 years which really aren't that weird. Her memory is good, her speech is good, etc. The only issue is that she thinks that she is imagining everything, that is it. Has anyone else had experience with this symptom?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
That is very good news!
(2)

So very glad to hear this!
(1)

Thanks everyone. My mom is doing well in fact this is as well as she has been for 2 months. Im not sure what the path forward is, but hopefully we will figure it out soon. Thanks again for all the support.
(2)

Arretsax, Sorry this happened, and that it has gone on so long. Your Mom must have been suffering so much.
Thanks for telling us. How have you been able to cope?
Keep on top of the search for the diagnosis, the proper treatment, and good care for Mom.
Then, try to understand that this was not personally directed at you, it is about her pain, incorrect thinking, and temporary despair.
Glad you are getting help.
(2)

Arrt, since she is now in the hospital she will be there for awhile since it is ICU. One thing many do not know is that you can now use this to get your mom the help she needs. You can refuse to bring her home, talk with the hospital social worker and they will find appropriate care for her to be discharged to.

I am so sorry. Was this an attempt? Maybe a cry for help? Hope that the medical pros figure out what is going on.
(1)

Oh my! Wishing you and your mom a good outcome! Make sure they have all the records from previous testing, and no discharge without answers!

Once i realized, several years ago, that i was within my rights as Mpoa, to not " take delivery" of mom until all her issues were resolved, i was able to act in a much more assertive manner. Normally, i just said yes to doctors.

So instead of " you'll follow uup with x,y and z", we got the necessary tests done "in house"
(3)

Oh no Arretsax! I am sorry too! I hope they are able to straighten things out quickly and get your mom feeling better. Your poor mom.
(1)

Arretsax, do you mean she took some pills in an attempt to end her life? If so, I am SO sorry it came to that. Does the neurologist practice at this hospital? Maybe he can consult and explain what is known to date. Or at least that will be in her medical history.

Please come back and let us know how this works out!
(3)

Actually we ended uo in the ER tonight she took pills. She is in ICU now. Maybe at least we will get some help now. Thanks for all responses ans support
(3)

Glad, that is a good suggestion! Maybe starting out at the primary care physician's office will help, since the neurologist may have reported back to the referring doctor.
Yes UTI!
(0)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions