Follow

Got a text from my teenage daughter while I was out (actually seeing Dad with my husband, we were running errands after we left him and on our way home)

"Grandpa called and left me a voicemail. I think he called me a sh&thead."

Me (absolutely shocked) "What? No he didn't, you must have misunderstood. Or maybe he thought he was calling me."

But nope, we went home and listened to the voicemail together, with my husband. "This is your grandfather, you sh&thead" clear as a bell, and then a bunch of random stream of consciousness stuff.

And I hate to say it, but we all just laughed and laughed.

I mean, it's awful, especially since if he was in his right mind he'd be mortified — he loves my daughter so much, she is his favorite grandchild by far to be honest — he thinks she hung the moon.

It actually made me feel better about the things he says to me, in a weird way, because I know this isn't really "him" if he said THAT to HER!!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
DoingMyBest73: What I took away from this discussion is " he thinks she hung the moon." Quite a good one!
(0)

I can laugh at some of the things Mom said when she was alive now but not then. I felt I was showing disrespect. My daughter, RN, always said its laugh or cry. Better to laugh.

Actually, great your daughter could laugh at it. With my Dad, that would be an expression of love and he was in his right mind. 😊
(2)

I have to agree with laughter is the best.... anytime I can find some humor in this awful situation I’m in, taking care of my 89 year old mom with Alzheimer’s/dementia, I try to laugh. I do enough crying already.
I do need to figure out how not to take her rude and hateful comments towards me personally.....I definitely need thicker skin so my feelings won’t keep getting hurt....
(3)

LOL
(0)

😅😅😅
(0)

Good you were able to laugh at this crazy talk! Dementia can be quite funny, if we don't take it too seriously.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter