Follow

GM - I have been on this site for many months in regards to my 95 yr old mother and her breast cancer. Things are getting pretty bad for her and today the hospice social worker is coming to talk about the possibility of going to our beautiful hospice facility nearby. My mother is still in great denial about her condition and she is firmly planted in her own home, still trying to manage. But it’s difficult for her now. I do what I can, but she will still need to take stronger pain meds and this is where things can get dangerous. Please keep us in your thoughts. This is very hard for me as I know this is not going to be easy and she will fight every step of the way. But it will be a relief as I am worrying too much and anticipating the worst every time I see her or every time she calls me.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
By all means, take advantage of hospice. They form a bond with the patient and the family.

My mom is receiving the very best care in hospice.

They are extremely compassionate with the entire family.

You will be glad to have hospice caring for your mom.
(0)

Most hospice facilities if not all, will only take a person if they feel death is imminent, as Medicare will only pay for so many days stay. After that if a person is still alive, they can still stay if a room is available, but the room and board is then paid by the person or their family out of pocket. Hopefully all that will be explained to you.
Your mom too can receive hospice care in the home, but that's not nearly as good of care as from the facility itself. I hope it all works out for her and you too.
(1)

Sending comforting energy to you. A hospice facility will make sure your mom is comfortable and safe. Its the best, and the hardest decision.
(2)

My dad often took information better from a medical professional better than from family. He would mull it over for a it and usually wind up agreeing. Hospice is good at explaining what they do. It may also take withdrawing the help she receives now to force the issue. I wish you both peace in this
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter