Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Lea,

I would cook for three days! My brother would sit at the table and say that his darling wife didn’t like Turkey! LOL

Poor thing! Did he really expect me to cook a separate meal for her? He said that she liked ham. I served ham on Easter.

She never lifted a finger to help either.

Nothing made my mom happier than watching me work like a dog and serving my brothers!

Karma! Now they have my mom!
(4)

freqflyer........that's my other DIL..........she sits at the table like A Queen and waits to be served, then waits for her dishes to be cleared for her, never lifting a well manicured finger to help with a single thing!!! My son helps (he was raised right....LOL) but she irritates the heck out of me. Sometimes it's hard to put on that smile, isn't it?

I was also ordering the pre-cooked turkey from the grocery store for Thanksgiving in the past and it was always DELISH!! DH would make a couple of side dishes, I'd make a couple, and the guests would bring a side dish or dessert of their own. I don't love cooking, but I hate the clean up even worse!
(3)

My DIL is bringing Thanksgiving dinner to our house tomorrow and dropping it off. My DH just had open heart surgery & then lung surgery 2 weeks later and was released from the hospital this Monday. So we'll be alone, but grateful that he's alive. And grateful for the low salt/low fat dinner my poor DIL was prepping until the nurse came by today to say DH needs a HIGH fat diet for the next 3 weeks (he lost 30 lbs during this ordeal). So I sheepishly called my DIL who breathed a sigh of relief and said the call made her life a whole lot easier...........LOL.

We'll also be having a Zoom call at 6 pm with our children *7 between us* and that will be nice. My soon to be 94 y/o mother will be dining at her Memory Care ALF and not joining us this year. Unfortunately, she chose not to join us for Thanksgiving luncheon at the Chart House last year coming up with an excuse about not feeling so good. What that taught me is live for TODAY. Grab every opportunity you can b/c nothing is guaranteed. Had she known this Thanksgiving we'd be in the midst of a pandemic, betcha she would've felt 'better' last year and come with us. Can't change yesterday but we sure can change how we deal with today.

Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving. I hope it turns into a nice day after all and that you & your DH give one another extra hugs & kisses to make up for the ones you can't get and give to the other loved ones in your life.
(5)

This Thanksgiving and Christmas it will be just my sig-other and myself.... and the cat, who thinks he's person.

I am no Martha Stewart or Julia Childs so cooking was always very stressful for me. I see on game shows where a prize is an "outdoor cooking area" and I am thinking, I don't even want in "indoor cooking area".

Therefore in the past 10 or so years, it has been the local grocery store doing the cooking. I pick up the items and heat & serve. Back when my parents were alive, my Mom would bring over a home made side dish.

Two years ago my sig-other's grown daughter [40+] and her two teenager daughters came to visit. We always pay for them use a nearby hotel chain to give them more privacy, and to give me less cleaning. The gang said they would be back over to help Thanksgiving morning. Well.... they showed just in time to eat. I tried to put on a smile.
(4)

Orchid, I agree with you, I’m both grateful and a bit sad this Thanksgiving. We’re only having immediate family that have been in our “bubble” all along so not seeing any extended family. I know this is the wise choice and am fine with it, but it’s also my first holiday since my dad died. So there’s a unique lump in my throat as I smile and enjoy the time with my young adult children. I’m making all the usual favorites for our family. My “children” who aren’t children anymore all request peanut butter pie, would rather have that than any traditional pumpkin or apple. So much gratitude mixed with some quiet sadness. I wish you a blessed day
(4)

I just read your profile and I have to complement you on everything!

I wish more families felt as you and your sisters do.

I love how you have equally divided your caregiving responsibilities. How lovely!

Now, to answer your question. A quiet dinner at home with hubby, oldest daughter and myself.

Not cooking this year. Whole Foods is cooking.

I am thankful for my husband and daughters. My youngest daughter just moved to Colorado so she will be missed at our holiday table.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter