Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Stay safe!
(3)

Wish that 2021 will be better but I do not think it will. I think it might be several years before there is consistent improvement to our restricted living. Too much is already lost and people have normalized it. I hate to be Bah-Humbug, but I just think this is the reality. I am not hanging my hope on "next year" that will never come. Regardless, yes indeed appreciate the love you have in your life and all that is good regardless of external conditions. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
(4)

This past year I have been thinking a lot about my Husband and what I would have done if he were still alive. And I guess in this respect I am glad he is not. (makes me very sad to write that)
I am having dinner at Daughter, SIL and Grandkids house. (4 doors up the street) I am bringing desserts (yes plural) and roasted Brussels Sprouts with bacon, cranberries and pecans as well as our favorite Amish Dinner Rolls (thank you King Arthur Flour for an awesome recipe).
Desserts are (the deserve their own paragraph!)
Pumpkin Cake with cream Cheese Frosting
French Silk Pie
Pumpkin layered "torte" graham cracker base, cheese cake type layer, pumpkin mousse topped with whipped cream.
I think I will skip dinner and just do desserts! Isn't that an option when you get old(er)?
Happy Thanksgiving, have a SAFE holiday.
(1)

Daughter, you are officially excused from helping to clean up; you can't please a perfectionist & who can blame you for giving up?? I wouldn't help either if nothing I did was good enough!

Worried.......I'm in Colo. Whole Foods does not sell wine here either. They do sell beer & hard seltzer though, which is odd, isn't it? In fact, it was only recently the grocery stores started carrying full strength BEER. Up till recently, they could only sell 3.2% beer! And, when I was a young girl here, there were 3.2 bars you could go to if you were 18 but under 21! Brings back memories; IDK if they exist anymore b/c my bar hopping days are long gone now. My neighbor has a Traeger grill; I didn't realize it cooks faster than a regular grill.

Bridger, I'm glad your DH is home! I never heard of a roasting hen..........just roaster chickens or turkey!

GingerMay: start a gratitude journal; I read an article about that today. People who are getting depressed about the pandemic & the restrictions need to focus on the good in their lives, and writing daily, or even weekly, in a gratitude journal puts things into better perspective. I know for me, 2020 has been THE most stressful year of my life filled with many worries and surgeries and bad news in spades. I am looking forward to better days ahead.

My amazing DIL brought over 2 huge BOXES of Thanksgiving dinner she and my DH's son prepared for us! There's turkey AND pot roast in there, along with a ton of side dishes and rolls, etc. The nurse said DH has to eat A LOT of high fat foods for the next 2-3 weeks b/c he's lost too much weight and is STILL losing weight in SPITE of all the calories he's eating. Me? I'll be GAINING weight while he's losing! God give me strength. We will be doing a 6 pm ZOOM call with all the 7 children we have between us and their spouses/SOs.

Anyway, she brought over the best Christmas gift I've ever gotten. Ready? It's a Christmas ornament; a snowflake, gold on one side, silver on the other. In the middle is a circle that says 2020, and surrounding it is the word FU*K without the asterisk in script letters! Yep, FU*K 2020 is the message of the snowflake! I couldn't agree more.

(3)

Hugs to you and everyone celebrating alone. I am in BC Canada and we can only interact with our immediate household, or for people like me who are single 2-3 other single people. No socializing in the home or at restaurants etc.

My group of people includes my son whom I see once a month and my mother. As a Granny, I am still allowed to care for my infant grandson, and I am thankful for that.

Christmas will be quiet. My son and my Mum. No big fondue party on Christmas Eve, no brunch for 20 on Christmas Day.

It is lonely and it has been a long time in this new reality. I am sewing more masks this weekend, as I need a fresh one for each outing, not that those are very frequent either.

One thing I do that is fun. A girlfriend and I watch movies together 1-2 nights a week. We alternate choosing the show, it has to be on Netflix or Prime, as we both have those services. We each have created a watch list. We talk on the phone as we prepare to watch the show, snacks, drinks, etc, then we queue up the show and hit play. After it is over we talk again. It is not the same as watching a movie together in person, but it is something.
(6)

I did what I do every year. I cooked my turkey off two days ago & broke it down yesterday making today much easier. It was just my sig-other, myself and my mother who fills her plate until it over flows as if she will never get another meal again. We'll be eating turkey for a few days and I'll freeze the rest.

I guess, I feel the same as most people about 2020! I'll be glad when it's over!🤬

(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter