Follow

My sister also will not accept mail, certified mail, calls and e-mails.Mom is in a nursing home BUT she will not tell us where? Mom will be 89yrs. this wk. (9-2-2011) Sister has also used my mother's SS# to get a $50,000. Student loan for her son in NY City. Plus used her SS# on other things. We (my brother, myself & my mother's 3 brothers) have not been able to find Mom, we can't even talk to her. Have gone to 16 differen't agencies..... no help because of POA. However 1 agency told me she found my mother... but cannot tell me where she is, ONLY that she is OK and that should make us feel better? This is not right. She is my Mother too.. and I love her very much. Wonder what she is thinking about why she hasn't heard from us or her home is gone and everything in it is gone? Might add my sister is known for her lying and she and her family has been in trouble with the law. Also must add sister took her off of medicare and put her on madicade AFTER she sold her home. We found out about house sale and all items removed by serching county records on sale. Can not afford Attorney or a detective. Been on phone 3 weeks......I am Lost, Tired and Hurt. Don't know what else to do?
EVERY Agency has told me this is not right or sister is up to something ,,,,,But none can help? They keep sending me to other Agencies and they send me to others and it keeps going on and on with no help. Thanks for letting me vent.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
In many states what your sister is doing - denying access to a dying parent - is illegal.

Frequently, I refer people to kasemcares.org. It is an organization that is responsible for these laws being passed in several states and pending in several more. It was started by the daughters of famed American Top 40 disc jockey Casey Kasem. While he was dying from Lewy Bodies dementia their step mother refused to let them see their father and went so far as to hid him in a different state.

I have no affiliation with the organization- have just read of the good work they are doing. They also have a Facebook page. I'm sure you'll be able to at least gain some good information from their site, if in fact their law has not been passed in your state. Good luck!
(1)

I am also having the same issue with the oldest sister of nine siblings. Soon after my mom passed in 2009, she sent a very hateful letter to my dad trashing him in every way she can. Three years later she comes back around and takes over his house, social security, and rents the rooms out to various persons and telling people she has conservatorship. She then takes my dad and doesn't let anyone know where he is at (at this time he has dementia). In 2014, she has her name on the Grant Deed of his house. I contacted a Private Investigator and he utilized a database and said there is no record of her having conservatorship and if she was granted that, we would have been petitioned to the court. One brother, which had a heart problem was homeless and died in November of 2016. He was our brother and my dad mother's son. Isn't this more of an abduction that she is doing and waiting for my father to pass? Attorney's want a $5,000 retainer and a Private Investigator is also very pricey. Right now, we would all like to visit with my dad before he passes. Any suggestions on this issue would be helpful. Other siblings have called many nursing homes and no luck of him being there. My sister owns plenty of properties and probably has him in a more low-income area being taken care of in a private home vs a care facility. Thank you.
(0)

Kimp also look up "exploitation of the elderly" and you will see that your sister falls into the specific category of female predators. It may help if you can raise this matter to a criminal level and not a "family feud" as the predators want others to think it is. And don't forget, they will get theirs, big time.
(1)

Kimp, any luck locating your mother? Was the Medicaid board any help? Just so sad people do this in our world. Blessings Bridget.
(1)

Texas???? How about Turkey? My sister convinced my mother,who has Alzheimer's, to sell her condo overseas (Asia) and took her to TURKEY! Great! No real medical care there, won't tell me where she is, mother does not remember me or call me, my sister emailed and said my mother will call me when she feels like it....have the letters and cards to show how my mother loved me and we were close. She sold the apt for US$4.5 million and ran off with my mother...cousin in on it also with his son, my nephew, who stole US$40,000 from my mother to open a business (like the tic tac candy. MOron, it is made in China and full of chemicals).
(0)

Hey Kimp...if you cant afford an attorney find one that will work pro bono. Good Luck to you. If it were my mother I would take the opportunity to follow my sister around and see where she may have put my mother. Then I would wait til she left and tried to get her.
(1)

JonBeyrer, will try again Tue. Thank you for your in put. My sister has both POA's and with the hippo Law it all just get worst to find my Mom. The Inspetor's Office in NY City called me yesterday and said he ck on my sister's son on his school loan. That my mother did not sign anything for him.... they just used my mothers SS# to get the loan and that it would not go against my mom if he defaults. That he signed for the loan and only he would be held responsable for the $50,000. I really do not understand? Than why did they use my Mom's SS#, it's on HER credit history to get his student loan? I am confuse here. But Thanks for the contact Infor... will put it to good use Tue. Bless You.
(0)

Bridget, have tried Medicade... but will try again.. Thank you.
(1)

Thanks to all for your advice...I will start over again starting Tue. Mariesmon,will try Media, guess I will start in my area Houston to see if they can help me. Sister is in Dallas/Ft Worth.
Cindy I have called Elder Abuse.. but will try again.
Yvettetracy, Police went to her home twice.. she would not ans.her door to them. They said nothing more they could do, unless they have a court order.
I do not understand why or how my sister has managed to do all of this... but beleive me I have tried everything, other than hiring a attorney. And at $300 an hr. I can't afford. Please understand I live on SS and all of this is happening 5hrs from here. So between distance & money it has been hell.
But I will take all your advise and continue till I get to talk to my Mom. Again I really thank you for all yor help. God Bless you.
(1)

Dear Kimp,
As her children, you and your brother have a legal right to know about your mother's welfare, and unless there's some good reason why not, her whereabouts.
What was the agency that told you she was OK but would not reveal where she is? If you identified yourself as her daughter, what reason did they give for not revealing her location? Has your brother also contacted them?
Has your mother been declared incompetent, and has she been put under court-ordered guardianship? If you don’t know, you and your brother have a right to know. A call to the county courthouse would be the first step. Hiring an attorney would certainly be helpful here, but if you can’t afford one, you should contact a legal aid society such as Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program (HVLP) 713-228-0732.
If your mother is not under guardianship, the power of attorney your sister has provides limited powers. There are two types of power of attorney: Financial and medical. If she has financial power of attorney, she has the right to conduct transactions such as selling your mother’s house. If you suspect she has committed fraud against your mother, you should contact the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) Adult Protective Services (APS)1-800-252-5400. You and your brother should gather what specific information you have that you think is fraudulent, such as your sister falsifying a student loan application with your mother’s social security number.
(2)

I would think that you'd get the police involved. How does your sister have the ability to hold your mom hostage or kidnapped? Speak to an officer and see what he says or how he can help you. She is in so much trouble its not funny. Social security fraud, kidnapping, etc. ..Call and officer and take her to court.
(2)

I would strongly encourage you to seek the counsel of an elder abuse attorney. This is most definitely financial elder abuse and a POA does not give anyone the right to steal money. In fact having a POA means you have a serious fiduciary responsibility. Seek legal counsel.
(2)

kimp - why not get the media involved?

Call your local paper or TV station - start locally and then spread out - and ask to speak to an 'investigative reporter'.

Have all your facts straight BEFORE you do this, and keep it simple. "My sister is hiding my mother from me in a nursing home and no one (name all the agencies) will help me find her. "

All they can say is no - and you will be able to say you've done everything you can.
(4)

How about reporting to Medicaid office what is going on???
(1)

Yes I have NoVoice. They r the ones that said "We have found your Mother.. she is ok but we can not tell you her location or ph#. Now that should make you feel better." How did that help? The POA my sister got... she used against the family.Beleive me I have tired every Agency out there. Thanks soo much for your advise.Today is her 89th birthday. 1st time I won't be able to wish her a Happy Birthday.
(1)

Have you contacted Adult Protective Services in your area?

Texas Department of family and Protective Services
8700 N Stemmons Fwy
Suite 104
Dallas, TX 75247-3715
(214) 951-7902
(2)

Naheaton, your right. And with the hippo law the Nursing homes will not tell you if she is even there. I have gone to over 20 agencies in TX & Federal....all say the same thing POA has my sister covered in taking my mother's $$$. But $$ is not what I am worried about, I want to just talk to my mother. We did find my mother once. When sister found out she moved her somewhere else. Yes DA,SS, Inspector General,Elderly care, been to all of them.Thank you for idea's.
This is a 1st for me...always thought I would have my mother.
(1)

You're right, guess that's too far of a distance to check nursing homes out. I suppose talking to her immediate family, husband/kids etc won't work either since no doubt they're all in on the conspiracy. Have you called the District Attorney where she lives to ask if they can help? Maybe if you impress upon the DA about your sister and her family having 'trouble with the law' they might at least check on it? I guess unless you hired a private detective to find her, I'm out of ideas. And even if you DID find her, then what? Gotta be a few steps ahead of this money grubbing sister I would guess.
(1)

Thanks naheaton, but mom is in Dallas/Ft Worth area... maybe? I am in Houston, her brothers r in late 70's an 80's in PA &FL. So wouldn't help. Too many places and she knows we have friends watching ... to no avail. Been going on since Feb. of this year.
(0)

Can you visit every single nursing home within 5miles from your sister and look for yourself to find mom? You as a family could spread out, each taking a nursing home and start asking questions. That's what I would do till I found my mom. Either that or follow your sister sometime and see if she takes you to mom.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter