Follow

Today I give up!!! My husband has cancer and we have gone through most of our life savings. An article today about crowdfunding made me furious. Where are the articles that will really help us or at least be a solace to our lives? If you are disappointed or just plain sick of articles that mean nothing to us, or if like me you are ready to toss the computer in the since say so here.

Im not depressed, I cared for my husband through thick and thin, now he has prostate cancer again and they think he may have alzheimvers because he is more forgetful but differently from chemo fog. Were making ends meet for not much longer, and I wanted to find out if there was more resources. Guess not, we're just going to have to find a way on our own.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
That article is nothing more than appealing to the public to donate money for one person's medical expenses. It is self serving to one individual only. Any money I would donate would be toward a charity that helps many individuals. I would rather see articles that use a grassroots approach to funding that benefits everyone.
(1)

Jeanne, I bet the Lennon sisters have problems, too. If they're alive, they have problems. Maybe we could dig something up. They had to work for a difficult bandleader:)
(1)

Carol, I understand about the titles. My criticism on that isn't for the author, but for AgingCare. They publish too many articles, in my opinion, with headlines that could have come from checkout line tabloids. I especially dislike titles with "need to" and "must" and "always" or "never."

(Oh, and it was the Andrew sisters, not the Lennon sisters, the objectionable article was about.)
(2)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jeanne. That is one thing about having been a caregiver myself. I know what it's like down to my soul.

There are programs that can help but we can't count on the same thing from state to state, so I always qualify my suggestions and encourage people to check their state website and type "aging" in the search box. That should take caregivers to a reality based source of what is available in the state/community where they live.

Good luck to all of you. Being a caregiver is often rewarding and many of us wouldn't have chosen another route. But to think that it's not challenging, exhausting and without some times of "poor me" is unrealistic for most of us. It can also be financially devastating.

You all help each other so much that I'm proud to be part of the bunch!

As a aside: I will say that I've been a writer for a long time, and that includes a weekly newspaper column. Please, give the article writer a "pass" on the title, as they often have little or nothing to do with the title, and that includes Internet writing. We put a suggested title on our articles, but that isn't always what's used. I've had a couple of newspaper columns over the years where I've wondered if the headline writer even read the column!

Take care,
Carol
(0)

Ah, I found it, here https://www.agingcare.com/articles/crowdfunding-helps-caregivers-raise-money-156875.htm

(I don't know why the search engine can't find it yet.)

My main complaint about this article is its stupid title. This is something we "Need to be Using" according to the title. This isn't the first time an AgingCare article has had an eye-catching but inaccurate title, and it does drive me nuts.

Crowdfunding sounds like something that might appeal to some caregivers. Probably not many, but, hey it is worth knowing about. But to claim that we "need" to be using it is hogwash.

Some of the articles on this site couldn't possibly live up to their inflated titles. Another one out there now is how everyone should "always" forgive, because the the last of the Lennon sisters recently died, and those sisters were estranged. (??) Ya, I don't get the connection either, but "always" is a red flag to me.

There are some very useful articles on this site. You can pretty well count on anything by Carol Bradley Bursack to be worth reading. She's a real expert -- she's lived the caregiver role. Other articles are good, too. But not every one. I guess that is to be expected.
(1)

Where was this article, 4legsgood? A search of AgingCare doesn't turn up any articles on that subject. Was it here or some other internet place?
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter