Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
PStern, actually not. Sometimes they even get it all...and take it all as their due.
(1)

Jeannegibbs, you're 100% right long term caregiving is a choice.

A choice I made and would do again, but I am not going to stand by(this isn't directed at you) and have someone tell me or others you don't have a reason to resent a sibling/siblings who does/did nothing.

I miss my parents, everyday. But the one thing I don't have is guilt, I know I did the best I could have done. I sleep at night.

But I am not going to let comments attacking caregivers and giving passes to do nothing siblings go by and not speak up.

I know SO MANY people(myself included) who got no help, but let me tell you, they manage to show up for the reading of the wlll.
(2)

Countrymouse, you hold on.

Well what if everyone walks away? Then what happens?

My caregiving days are over. I took care of both my parents for over 5yrs.

I don't mind that it was on me, I knew it would be that way. What bothered me is "my brother" would visit for a week(he lived 1,200 miles away) maybe once a year and not even spend time with them. Using the house as a hotel.

Never once said to me "thanks for taking this on" or "how can I help", or even say hey "Irishboy, why don't you go to a movie and lunch, I am here"...Nada.

My mom went first, dad a year later. My brother couldn't be bothered to come see our father as he lay dying for 4 days, but his ass was on a plane the day after he died concerned about his cut.

I knew he would behave badly, but he OUTDID himself.

Including going over to the local bank and demanding information on accounts(which had nothing to do with his cut, and as anyone with a brain knows a bank won't release any info if you're not on the account).

You couldn't have asked for better parents than we had, so there is no reason other than his own selfish behavior.

Do I go around thinking of him everyday or letting it tear up my insides, absolutely not, that would do me no good. In fact other than on here I don't discuss him. Friends and family(he bothers with no family)know not to bring his name up to me.

But if you think I want any contact with him or forgive him, I don't. I want no contact going forward.

In case you're not aware of this, it is quite common that once the parent/parents are gone there is no contact between the adult child caregiver and the do nothing siblings.

BTW, nice way for you to attack caregivers. I suspect you're not one.

How dare you tell people how to act.
(4)

I have no siblings, but after reading just about every post on this site over the past year, I was wondering if the siblings walk away because they wanted their parent(s) to be in assistant living/nursing home, and one sibling did not and that sibling quit work and took in the parent(s) only to find themselves down the road doing the work of 3 caregiver shifts per day.

Is it fair, of course not. The choices were made and thus each and every one has to live with the responsibility of those choices.

There are times I wish I had a sibling who I could talk to, and share these overwhelming feelings [even though I am not a hand-on 24/7/365 caregiver].
(2)

Ba8alou and PStern....have you walked aq mile in the shoes of the caregiver? You do not get to advise if you chose not to dig in.
You should get credit for knowing your limitations, fine. Do you give credit, tho? to the sibling that decided they could serve the increasingly vulnerable old folks?
You do not get how far a little validation would go for our sanity. But you cannot say thanks because you are in denial about the service given by another. You would prefer to think some minimum wage worker at an institution could cover all the bases, maybe.
Do not come too close, you might have to thaw your attitude toward us.
This forum is gonna get all my anger and sadness and fear...so I can go watch Sienfeld with Dad, scrub the bathroom, massage the fluid out of Moms legs a bit and smile knowing they knew they were not alone again today.
We don't carry this pain to them. We are the grown ups i the family.
(1)

loathing just wasnt my experience . quite the opposite happened . all three of us kids realized how fragile life is and have buried old childhood rivalries . my oldest sis is still halfassed but it isnt affecting me none , affecting me none , affecting me none ...
(2)

irishboy, if ba8alou's response is the dumbest comment you've seen on here, you must not have been reading all the comments on here for very long. LOL

Long term caregiving is ALWAYS a choice. Always. Maybe initially in the chaos of an emergency someone "has" to take up the role until there is time to sort things out. But to continue to do it for months and years is a choice. I do not recommend "walking away" without making some arrangements, like contacting Adult Protective Services and/or Human Services and/or the doctor. But no one HAS to take care of a parent. No law requires it. Some laws in some circumstances may require a financial contribution but nothing can "make" you do long term caregiving.

If you are doing it, at least take credit for your decision. If you think you are doing the right thing, be proud!
(3)

PStern1966, No I don't think so. But when parents need caregiving it is uncommon for there to be much left for anyone to inherit.
(2)

Is it common is it for those who don't help their parents to lose some of their inheritance?
(0)

Paula and Irishboy, hold on.

The siblings we're talking about have done exactly that. They have walked away. They have said: "this is not my problem." They haven't completed any sentences, or played tag. Just… gone. Out of there. So what was stopping you doing the same?

We made different choices. I think we should get huge credit for that, but I don't agree that it entitles us to hate the people who chose their own way. And if you do feel so resentful, so angry and so full of hatred towards the people whom you blame for leaving you with only one remaining choice, as you see it, then something is going badly wrong with your thinking.

Worse, how does it help? Ba8alou is right: that kind of bitterness is wholly destructive for all concerned. If you've got to this point then you need to tear up your plan and start again.
(2)

thats interesting about being empowered to skip out on a funeral paula . i was absolved from attending my mothers funeral months in advance by her . it worked out fine. my lack of a belief system didnt interfere with the belief system of my siblings . i gave them their space and i think they appreciated it , mom didnt care , she was deceased ..
my sisters didnt neglect my moms needs . she ran them off and chose me as a domestic partner . the dementia near end of life became brain twisting - ly difficult . i think my sisters would have been too overreactive for the task tho they were betters homemakers than myself .
so , i guess , dont hate your underparticipating sibs . the parent may be soundly rejecting them in a million subtle ways ..
i have 2 sons and already know which one would make good financial decisions and which one could be counted on in a live or die situation . one is just too emotionally awkward for hands on care , that doesnt make him selfish or worthless , its just who he is .
i think the american common sensical approach to family caregiving is more sound than its given credit for though. if you want to preserve family assets , ( and most parents want that too ) then you step up and provide competant care . if the care is left to the state the state uses up the family assets .
(0)

There is a very good article on this site about managing caregiver stress. https://www.agingcare.com/articles/stress-management-dementia-caregivers-155666.htm

This entire thread seems to be a strong emotional approach. Hating the siblings who don't help isn't solving any problems. I understand the need for emotional venting sometimes. But back in the trenches I hope a more solution-oriented approach prevails.
(2)

ba8alou, that has to be the dumbest comment I have ever seen on here. And there have a been a few doozies.

Figures you're not a 24/7 caregiver. Another one who doesn't know what they're talking about.

I am no longer caregiving but I feel for people who like me were "tag your it", who got no help, walk away....boy are you ignorant.

Walk away? LOL, do you realize besides the moral obligation in some states a caregiver would be facing charges?

What an utterly stupid comment to make.
(1)

"I would walk away" and some fairies would come and help the old crippled people who only have one person left.

Why don't you finish you own sentence: " I would walk away and______".
(0)

If my caregiving was making me feel this way ( and I'm not a 24/7 caregiver), I would walk away for the sake of my mental and physical health, this is not good for anyone.
(3)

"If you cry at the funeral I will laugh at you"
LOL
I want to go to that funeral. At the Caregiver Support Group I attend, the facilitator empowers us to consider not going to the funeral
(1)

WOW
I have company? I was kinda hoping I had the only shockingly disinterested siblings. I was stopped cold by the "clean your teeth, sis" comment.
Dentist, car care, haircuts.....no time for the luxuries that include 2 hours of time for myself.
This is quite a reassuring dialog. I see the reaction to rotten brothers and sister not helping here as hatefullness....but isn't is so much more? I enjoyed being a beloved and respected aunt and sister, I miss the people I thought they were, I have been so shock and sad that they resent me to such a degree.
They have recently broken into where I live, taken photos of my undone laundry and sent it around to all the sibs and even my own children...this is to show proof of what a pig I am, that there may be pathology involved as I am so lax at taking perfect care of my own needs cuz of course, I do so little in caring for both parents with dementia ,etc.
Someone said that there is a kid that is just 'sacrificed' by the others in this process. I was suddenly treated like Cinderella by these 7 brats as soon as I became their parent's hand maiden. (You are doing laundry anyway. You don't have a life anyway. You get paid (NOT)....
Soon Cinderella became "squatter", "thief', "you poisoned dad, he didn't have menigitis". I hope it is real funny someday.....might take a pretty raw comedian
Thanks, I feel you!
(0)

I can relate to all of you. Its just recently that my sis and I are getting along (for the sake of our parents) We do not like each other at all and never will. I used to but she never liked me. Anyway, as I have stated before she helps with MONEY and that relieves her guilt. She hired a companion for mom and of course it is providing respite for me. 2 hours 3x a week. She also took over the pain management appointments as she said that the doctor and me just did not click. All I was trying to do is get him to decrease her severe pain. She got him to get some tests and maybe a referral to another doctor for pain management. My sis is one way during the day and another during the early evening when I presume she has started drinking. She thinks that she has it worse than I do because she is a long distance caregiver for my dad in AL. She said today what is wrong with you or something like that, in other words hers was worse than mine. Seriously she is comparing my 24/7 caregiving to her phone calls to Dad? She has helped with a bit a money and just ordered depends which I never asked her to do. She makes comments to our family and friends about me. My sis has said that the companion she pays for is an experiment and that if they send the bill to me again and not her she is going to fire them. Which screws me. She came up on Monday to take mom to the doctor and she got here early and she was chomping at the bit the get out of here. She tried to get mom in earlier and could not. She got us some dinner and did not even turn her engine off and was out of here back to San Diego. She would rather sit in traffic then spend any more time with mom. She has bad OCD and the stress is making it worse so I would think that if she was asked to stay with mom so I could get away for a few days that she would not be able to handle it. Anyway I am just venting. I walk on eggshells so she does not take the companion away. Its a hell of a way to live.
(1)

vstefans, well thank you.

Many men are caregivers. I have run into this before. I realize most are women, but there are many sons who are holding the fort.

As far as judging people, the late great Maya Angelou had many wonderful quotes. One of them was "When people show themselves to you, believe them"....wise woman.

My brother and I were raised in the same house by wonderful parents yet he couldn't be bothered to hardly even visit, never mind offer me any help.

While I agree it does us no good to remain angry because it impacts your body and not theirs(too bad...LOL), you don't have to forgive bad behavior either.
(3)

Your siblings and family know the situation. It is their choice to either be with Mom - or not. They will have to forgive themselves for not seeing Mom....You did your best. I did not read through the whole letter, but know you did your best, and get the pre cremation arrangements, it will be more economical. You cna sitll visit that special place, park, or whatever you decide. Dad has been gone a long time, and I still talk to him, I carry his memory in my heart, not at the cemetary. I haven't visited my FIL at his plot for months.....I think of him daily as I drive by....
(0)

Call Hospice. They can direct you to Pre arrangement for cremation so it will be less expensive. You can collect the ashes, and decide later what you want to do with them. You can have a "celebraton of Life" Hire or ask a priest to do a little ceremony at your venue of choice. I think I will have one at Mom's favorite restaurant or her assisted Living.... She is Catholic, but do I want it at the church? I will decide that later when my sibling decides to contact me....It will be small, sweet, and personal.....She is the last one in her family, and her friends have gone as well, but I have my friends, and it will be my choice. I love mom dearly, and she is still here, I take it, for Me to understand and absorb the complete circle of life, and she will be looking down on us within the next couple of years... Life is short - FORGIVE - and let it go.
(0)

You can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink. I did everything to get my oldest sibling to visit our mother and our brother before brother was put in lockdown.. Oldest didn't budge not for Mom or for brother. So, it's not up to me to make sibling make a move to see Mom before she dies. Hospice says I don't even have to announce it in the paper, just give notice via death certificate to the State, and social security. When sibling calls me to see how Mom is doing, I will say we will celebrate her life when time allows sibling to visit her ashes. No bad feelings. My other sibling recognizes me, but he cannot speak coherently.
His wife moved him into lockdown for his safety. She didn't tell anyone for 2 months..Understanding the time to adjust is okay. Now I see him :) I won't tell him when Mom passes, he won't understand... Don't be angry, know you did your best, and they are the ones who will need to deal with their decisions after loved one dies.
(0)

oops, very sorry Irishboy, I do know lots of guys who do it all, didn't mean to tar everybody with a Y chromosome with the same brush - its just a common cultural thing...I used to get a lot of that in a backwards way, hubby got praised to high heaven and I got criticized because he actually did the dishes or ironing while I worked outside the home.

Maybe you are too young to remember the way it used to be - women did all the housework, guys would do yard work; nurses were women and doctors were men; people with developmental disabilities were shuffled off to institutions and you didn't bring "children like that" out in public; dying people weren't told their diagnosis or prognosis. I will never forget my stroke rehab patient who did really great in rehab but going back to old haunts and old activities was out of the question, he'd had a STROKE and you just stayed home as an "invalid" and that was that.

And no, I was not sure whether to laugh or cry as I read that I was coming across as a selfish excuse-making machine who never dealt with real caregiving. I'm not actually one of the people who can't take the sickness and death as part of reality...it was just a statement more reflecting the way a lot of things used to be done, you know, not talking about stuff and kind of putting it out of sight out of mind as a policy...I was actually the one there when my mom passed on and handled the arrangements, and I'm a work in a hospital. I have watched as the person a sick child needs the most couldn't bring themselves to visit or stay long enough...and yet, outside the hospital there was ample evidence they cared a great deal.

Forgiveness is no easy business when you bear the hurts; one of the keys to being able to do it my life is to try to understand where the offending party might be coming from, what kind of a world view however skewed it might seem to me. I have thought people to be purely evil and found out otherwise, I have withheld judgement and found out there really was nothing but cruel, callous self-servingness or sheer utter laziness behind what was going on after all.

Glonorth, sounds like the blowup was long overdue. I would only say don't blame mom so much - she's covering up the painful reality for herself by making those excuses...sure, its thoughtless to you because it does not even let you be justifiably angry, and it's been a very vicious cycle. Can whoever took care of mom while you were in the hospital be of any help? Can you get a doctor to ask for extension on the electric bill based on Mom's care needs?
(1)

I understand your post very well as I too have one older, very well off brother and a hateful sister in law who have danced around all of my requests for their help if not in increments of their time then monetarily. Do you think they will help me? No..they would most likely walk by both of us if we were lying in a gutter homeless somewhere. They are very selfish people. I recently was admitted to a mental behavioral psych ward for caregiver stress and burnout. When I returned home I was a little better but felt (like you) so angry at the two of them as I probably would not have had to go if they had contributed something to my elderly Dementia diseased mother. However, my mother is partially to blame as she keeps making excuses for them like they live out of town....they are only 4 hours away from us and when my brother has visited, he brings his daughter to help him drive and they only stay for 2 hours and leave. I finally couldn't contain myself any longer as their comment about never being able to get through to her on the phone really set me off. I texted my brother and really let loose with my pent up feelings which I now wish I hadn't done. It really doesn't matter either way because they are not going to acknowledge any thing I have said to them...and I was quite nasty. I rarely have enough money to pay for food or medicine for my mother at the end of the month and this month our electricity will be cut off for not being able to pay the bill. My mother continually blames me and makes me feel so guilty that they shouldn't have to do anything to help which only makes my anger more heated. I hate my brother and his wife also and I can't forgive them. I don't even have the money to bury my mother when that time comes. Know that I empathize with you and understand your feelings completely.
(2)

Ino, I'm surprised at you!

I wouldn't be so arrogant as to say you have to forgive your siblings. But your feeling that they are 'devouring' you, your complete condemnation of their motives… I'm just wondering if YOU might find some comfort in looking again at their point of view, and seeing if there isn't a more complicated picture to it than that. I sympathise - a year ago, when I joined the forum, and I can't believe it's a year - I was so angry and wound up that I believed my siblings wanted my mother dead. Even at that pitch I didn't go so far as to imagine that they would actively intervene to arrange it, but I did feel that they actively wanted it to happen. Wanted her to 'get a move on' so that they wouldn't have the bother of thinking about her and they'd collect a nice little lump sum each. That's what I worked out in my head. As with most suspicions, there was a grain of sand to the basis of it, but that's a long way from the whole truth, isn't it?

All I mean is that you would feel some relief if you could see more shades of grey in your picture of them. I know how burdensome it is to feel as you do about them and hope that meditating on it, trying to let go of your anger, will lighten that a little. Big hug.
(0)

vstefans, you're not realistic.

A couple of things, NOBODY likes dealing with illness and death, you sound like those people who use the "I hate hospitals" to not go see the sick or dying family member. Guess what? It's not about what you like or don't like, no one likes hospitals. Other than the corporations that run them.

That is nothing more than a self absorbed excuse.

I also know from my own experience that these siblings that can't "handle" the parent dying, are right on the scene for the reading of the will.

You also can beg, plead, etc. to a sibling doesn't mean they're going to help you. Several people know this as it has been posted.

Also I resent your swipe at males, I as male took care of not one but both parents for 5yrs.

Clearly, you're someone who hasn't dealt with this issue first hand.
(0)

Vstefans I appreciate your intelligent approach to try to guide us while dealing with these issues we face daily. Unfortunately for me my siblings are unwilling to communicate and really do not show any intrest in the well fare of our mother.It would take too long and be very boring for me to explain all that has transpired in the last ten years.All I can say is they are truly selfish,greedy and cold hearted. Our mother was the best mother anyone could ask for.They have done NOTHING but cause heart ache and trouble and I thank God she is unaware of all that they have done it would break her heart. It's very sad to ;not only lose your mother to this horrific disease (Demitia) but also to be devoured by the people you love and trusted your entire life your siblings."The love of money is the route to all sorts of evil" God
(1)

Well, believe it or not, there are families who pull together and take care of Mom and Dad without one sibling devoting 110% of their life, time and energy. That's how it is supposed to be. That's why it is so infuriating when it doesn't happen.

Some people can't face illness and mortality - can't deal with the reality that aging and death is not an aberration and an anomaly, and the willingness of someone else to take care of things is their ticket to not facing facts and avoiding this struggle within themselves. They can comfortably stay away...then after they do just that for a while, the guilt of sort of knowing someone else is doing all their heavy lifting seals that course of action in stone. And, granted, there are some male siblings who see it as women's work and suffer no guilt whatsoever. Would any of them respond if they knew the truth of the suffering they inflict, or the deep, ragged, scarring emotions they arouse in the sole caregiver by default? Taking the high road when no one cares to accompany you on it is hard and costly, however much it may be the right and even rewarding thing to do in the long run. It not something you can truly know until you have been there.

Julie Bell, you gave up on this post, which hit a nerve for so many people, for a reason. Not everybody validated your justifiable anger and hate and that had to hurt at least a little. They may have closed ears to you because they know how angry you are and how much you hate them now, or for whatever reason find it less uncomfortable to stay away. Or maybe they are all just really, really bad people.

Two thoughts: one is to find a third party who can get close enough to them to tell them how you really feel and what they really ought to begin to do. A pastor, a case manager, an eldercare attorney or estate planner, a cousin, a family friend...the other thought is that you have made a decision to stand by your loved one, and their best interest should determine how you make decisions about dealing with siblings, not how to strike back at the siblings who stay away.
(@Ino, the executor would not be responsible for the funeral. Their duties begin when the POA ends, which is at the time of death. POA really should be in charge of doing that. You do NOT want to be trying to make a funeral and burial plan up from scratch when the time comes. If you have any idea what she wanted, start setting it up.) One rule is that the uninvolved people shouldn't get to make those decisions and try to run the show when they haven't been near the stage.

There is a fine line between forgiveness, which we may need for our own mental health, and being a doormat. If you do need to ask non-participating siblings for financial support, you might want to go the route of hiring an attorney to lay it out in the most objective and powerful terms possible, without being unnecessarily inflammatory, and use any leverage that an individual state's filial responsibility laws might provide as well.

All I am saying is make sure the door is open to the neglectful siblings to come to their sense and begin to contribute; think about what their barriers might be,and be sure they know the urgency if the time is close. You can't make their moral decisions for them, you can only make it easier and more obvious and clear what the situation really needs from them, or hard to impossible if hey know they are facing wrathful judgement and anything they do will be too little too late and even rejected, while they think they have all the time in the world.
(1)

I'm praying for all of us to have peace!!! Someone at work today asked me if I had made arrangements for my mothers funeral ? I told her that I had not and I starting thinking about it... You see I'm not her POA or her Execator ... My oldest sisters husband is the exector and has been telling me for years that I should plan her funeral ... Yeah that's right .... And stupid me a year or so ago I visited many funeral homes and got an idea how much and so on . My one sister who is mamas POA and the only one who visits a couple of times a month and we talk almost every day decided that we ( we means me)would just wait until the time comes .She said " it would give us something to do" Personally I don't want to plan mamas funeral !!! I don't even know if I'll be able to face anyone I feel the time is is getting closer each day she is sleeping more and is so thin it is breaking my heart! The sisters and their spouses are the last people I want to see if mama dies before me.I know it's wrong but thoughts I've had 1. Don't tell anyone and just quietly bury her. 2. Post it on Facebook and go on vacation . 3. Do nothing and wait and see what the creep exector will do ( my sister and him only care about mamas money) 4.plan the most extravagant affair and spend all the money that I have of hers on it.... My heart is breaking.
(0)

Ino, thank you for your post. I'm confident you'll forgive me for being cynical - there were some bits that I couldn't see working in my jaundiced head, not yet anyway; but the picture you painted of the devil making mischief I find genuinely helpful. You're right: it's one thing to feel stressed and tired and overwhelmed, another to be feeling envious and resentful because others haven't joined us in the same boat. Thank you again.

Agecare, the heartfelt thought that it would be quite a relief if we never had to see certain family members ever again is one - sorry Ino! - that I share. But if their help would actually, as a matter of fact, help you or benefit your parents, then do persist. It's worth it. The worst that can happen is that you continue not to get help from them; but there is always a chance that things might improve. We're going to see a respite care home tomorrow, and to my (I hope well-disguised) astonishment my brother rang this evening to say he'd see us there. My mother's thrilled to bits (eye roll!), so she's looking forward to the trip now. A mixed blessing, I expect you'll agree, but… not nothing. People don't offer because they'd rather not think about the situation. If you give them specific things to do, sometimes they'll surprise you pleasantly.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter