Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4
Well more difficult news to be expected. My mother has now developed a very painful bed sore which they are treating but is making everything more difficult and painful. So just wondering if any of you have advice about this. It is hard to imagine how this will heal as compromised as she is. I think now she needs serious pain medication around the clock. I was there and it took awhile but 15 minutes or so after receiving it she was not in pain but this seems as though it will be constant.
(1)

So glad she is looking good!
(0)

Such good news. Thank you for letting us know how she is doing.

Continued prayers for a speedy recovery.
(1)

I'm just seeing this post now. I'm so sorry to hear what happened Riverdale! Glad to see your update just now, that mom is a tiny bit upbeat.........that's good to hear. I remember when dad was in Brookdale & the nurse in charge dropped him.........nothing terrible happened to him; no broken bones or anything, and she admitted to it and felt terrible about it, but we were all pretty shaken up about it. To think your mom has 2 fractured femurs as a result is a horrifying thing to process.

Sending prayers for a quick recovery for your mom and here's a big HUG for you that you can get some rest and relaxation for yourself.
(1)

Today when I visited they had her dressed and in her recliner. I was quite surprised. She seemed a tiny upbeat about it. There wasn't the right person around to discuss this. There was an ambulance outside so that might have caused staff to be in other areas. She is still on oxygen but she was working the remote on her TV. So progress.
(10)

So sorry RD. Hope things will get better for her soon.
(1)

Today was sad. One of the PT group came into the room. She said this was all very difficult and her pain is intense. When I pressed the wrong button to raise her to drink the drink I brought she expressed great discomfort. I solved that easily with the right button but knowing how the slightest movement causes pain is discouraging. She also is on oxygen. Also pain medication. Just one of those days one asks yourself why did this have to happen to someone so compromised already. Thank you for your concern.
(4)

Riverdale, how are you and your mom today?
(3)

Thank you all. I brought her a drink yesterday with a bone support ingredient. We also purchased bone broth and I will bring her both regularly.

I am close enough and although the facility is back on lockdown they are allowing me in due to her situation. She presently has to stay in bed but in time they hope to transition her to an appropriate wheelchair. She also has a good lounge chair we purchased. She also right now is on oxygen but an Xray yesterday was clear. The machine makes alot of noise but hopefully it won't be there many days.

Thank you all for your cares. I have been pretty sad this past week but working to get back to my routine and purchasing what we did for her and bringing it to her will help. I don't think she can participate in activities from a bed but the therapy she now qualifies for her will hopefully help.
(5)

Wow, that hurts, my condolences. My niece is a CNA in a nursing home and she told me of a similar incident of another CNA who violated the protocol on proper transfers. Luckily, nothing bad happened, but it could have. Every healthcare institution in this country is understaffed and exhausted from COVID. Like every profession, there are good, caring, CNA's and a few bad apples. The pay isn't great, they have to work long shifts, and they are usually young and starting families. It's unexcusable what happened to your mom. The only thing we can do is get vaccinated and give these exhausted, dedicated, caregivers a rest. Peace.
(2)

I am so sorry to hear that this happened to your mom. Like Barb I have no advice, just letting you know I'm thinking of and keeping you in my prayers.
(2)

I think creating a very positive, supportive environment will help support her healing.   Are you close enough to visit regularly, if it's allowed (b/c of the pandemic)?   If so, I would make it a practice of visiting, either before PT  when she's not as tired, or after PT and nap time.   

What are her interests?   Can you bring photos of the family, or something that's positive and makes her feel good?  I always brought cards as well.  It's something a patient can look at and be reminded of how much he or she is loved and valued by the family.   I also encouraged friends and family to visit and/or send cards.    That meant a lot.

And, perhaps most importantly, are there musical activities, guest musicians, or other activities she can attend so she isn't as isolated?   My mother always perked up when I took her to a musical activity or brought my music, took her to the music room, and played for her.  My father looked forward to his musical entertainment as well.

If there are no concerts, do you have a CD player or something to bring so she can listen to music?    At Dad's last placement, the facility had a wall mounted tv with a music channel.  One of the pastors found the channel and we left it on all day and night.  The music was so soft it even soothed me.
(0)

Riverdale,

I am so sorry. How are YOU doing?
(2)

Riverdale, I am so sorry.

If it is possible to add a couple cups of bone broth to her daily routine, this will help her body recover.

I pray that she is able to continue navigating her wheel chair in the near future and has no trauma from this sad situation.
(4)

So sorry this happened. At least the facility telling the truth.

If she likes therapy there is a chance that she could get better.
(3)

Oh. My. God.

I'm sorry Riverdale, words fail me. How is she?
(4)

Oh, Riverdale! I am so sorry to hear that this happened to your mom. No advice, just (((((hugs)))))).
(6)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter