Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4
Thinking of you, Riverdale. It’s awful to be in the position of having to make these decisions.

I wish you and your mother peace.
(3)

I really appreciate the kind messages. Alot of family have just been MIA regarding my mother. Some don't respond after we reach out (doctor in the family). Others have become a real disappointment to me. My mother has always stayed in touch with her family. This site has given me great comfort.
(5)

Riverdale, I think you are right to keep her comfortable where she is.

I want to add: before mom went on Hospice (which my brother refused) the NH assured me that if we got to "end of life" they would be able to give her pain meds that would keep her comfortable.

Mom fell during a transfer and went downhill. Was clearly in pain, and on heavy duty pain meds. I ran to the nursing station and asked what they could do.

Fortunately, the facility doc was there and said "why isn't she on hospice?".

I gave him a short precis of my bro's objections and he said "your brother needs to get here right now".

I called my brother and explained the fact that mom appeared to be in terrible pain (facial grimaces, etc) and bless him, he came over. We got mom on hospice, got her on morphine and she passed peacefully 3 days later.

There are such hard choices to be made at the end. Blessings and hugs to you.
(4)

Oh Riverdale,

I am so sorry that your mom is going through this.

I pray that she is comfortable and rests, praying the doctors do right by her and her treatment.

Great big warm hug!
(2)

She is at the facility. She seems peaceful and not in pain. Hospital stays are stressful on her. The lights and noise bother her and my husband and I can't visit together. I could insist but that doesn't seem the right answer to me. She will have to be transported to the infectious disease doctor. I am not trying to finish her off. Of course I am younger but I had osteomyelitis for awhile before diagnosis and treatment. She just seemed peaceful but distant today. I don't want to disrupt that. I just don't know what to think anymore. This has been such a Rollercoaster. Previously they told me there was no infection in the bone.
(3)

Is she still on the hospital or is she back at the NH?

Consider calling 911 to get her transported so she cam get IV antibiotics, if that is how you want to proceed.
(0)

I had it too 2 years ago with my jaw. I was on a PICC line for 6 weeks. I am concerned because we are going into a weekend and that is without any antibiotics. She seemed very different today than just 2 days ago. Little appetite and just wanted to sleep. I said all this to the nurse in charge but the office has to get back to her. Just not having a good feeling for the umpteenth time.
(0)

Riverdale, first off hugs, and thank you so uch for keeping to one thread

Osteomyelitis. Oy. My teenaged brother developed it for no good reason when he was like 14. Long hospital stays. I V antibiotics. He recovered, but he was 14 ad strong like ox!

https://www.medscape.com/answers/190115-82463/what-is-the-treatment-for-osteomyelitis-due-to-pressure-injuries-pressure-ulcers

I would want to have a frank private talk with the treating doc about whether this is a road you want to walk. (((((Hugs))))
(1)

The facility felt and we observed my mother doing better but she has just been diagnosed with osteomyelitis and has to see an infectious disease doctor. She seemed more tired today and had less appetite. Does anyone know or think this could take her downhill faster?
(0)

So sorry, RD.
(0)

No words for this situation, like Barb said, Riverdale. Sending you hugs and prayers.
(2)

(((((((Hugs))))))). No words for this situation.
(1)

Went to look at a different facility and talked to others. I felt positive about the one I saw. All others had issues that wouldn't work. Waiting for a few more tests but we seem to be heading towards hospice.

She could barely communicate today and when she did it was about great pain where bedsore is. They aren't giving her any food or stronger pain medication due to gastric issues. They do have her on IV's. Apparently she arrived dehydrated and with some heavy constipation. Another issue I kept bringing up at SN facility. When we were there we would have her drink but I am doubting they did. Just have to go soon and clear out her room. I can't see sending her back there.
(4)

Sending my prayers for your mom.
(1)

So sorry to hear about serious bedsores. Hopefully, taking her to hospital will get them taken care of & make sure she’s turned often to relieve pressure. She probably needs antibiotic & maybe skin repair. Hugs 🤗
(0)

Following the updates here Riverdale, and I'm shocked at what's been happening with mom. Sending you prayers that she is able to recover from this latest round of bedsores and now rectal bleeding. And that other placement is found for your dear mom as well. Stay strong, girl. Sending you hugs.
(3)

I certainly appreciate all the support. I will have to hope I can find another decent facility if it comes to that. I don't see how I can return her to where she was although there were positives before all this transpired. I feel i was blatantly lied to. They didn't tell me about the first bedsore for awhile and it was very advanced by then. These are causing her the most discomfort presently. But it all starts with being dropped by a careless aid. I had asked her in the past how she was lifted and she described the lift. She is too incoherent now to learn much else. That also declined rapidly along with the injury.
(2)

Poor lady, what a mill she's going through. Hugs to you, Riverdale. I don't suppose anyone's telling you anything helpful just yet?
(0)

I found out from the nurse at the hospital she has a second bedsore,in around stage 2. I asked several staff members if she had more than one and was told no. That was even told to me by a senior staff member. This wound had also been packed.

I contacted the lawyer. I think now I have to speak to social services to find other placement for her if she survives all this. Her blood pressure was very low but has risen slightly. They are doing alot of testing. I don't know how long Medicare keeps a patient so compromised but also with serious bedsores.
(3)

I'm so sorry, Riverdale!
(2)

I am so sorry to hear that. Prayers sent!
(1)

My mother was taken to the hospital today with rectal bleeding.
(1)

Riverdale, I didn't realize you had already consulted a lawyer and sorry that I misinterpreted "laying low".

I think following up with the Ombudsman program is a great idea.

(((((Hugs))))) to you and especially to your poor mom.
(3)

By laying low I also mean not showing all my cards. It is what Caregiver mentions. The lawyer we contacted said we had a 3 year window. I just need them to try to provide the best care. They are always assessing the wound. Thanks BarbB for that information.

We obviously are in strange times with Covid. They now always let me in even when they have a new lockdown. Last year when she was there in AL I did not see her from March to November. I could talk to her on the phone and drop off supplies outside the building. Now she cannot really talk on the phone but we go often and try to help with little issues that they will never have the time to deal with. They do have to change the wound dressing twice a day,change her incontinent briefs, empty the catheter bathe her some etc. I just am presently trying to keep peace if she is at all ever to heal. We are not paying presently. It is all through Medicare right now. It is very sad and stressful so I am just focusing on her health but I do understand all of you who say to possibly take it further. One aid in the room lifting her and dropping her has created a nightmare.
(3)

Ombudsman information usually posted by Nursing station. Every resident’s family member entitled to contact Ombudsman regarding any injury sustained in nursing facility. I’d start there & might hold off suing them until after she no longer needs facility care…you want to concentrate on helping your mother & being her advocate. A lawsuit now will probably stress you out more…& then they may say they can’t meet your mother’s needs….& go find another facility. …& blame it on something else.
(2)

Sorry, I meant culpability.
(0)

Here is the link for South Carolina:
https://aging.sc.gov/programs-initiatives/long-term-care-ombudsman-program

Getting your mom proper nutrition is critical if the wound is going to heal.

I am curious why you feel you need to "lay low"? They have admitted culpality for this injury and your mother would doubtless prevail in a lawsuit brought against them for her injuries and they know it.
(1)

We are in SC. Thank you for those thoughts. I don't see paperwork in the lobby. I just feel I have to presently lay low as I need their help for her almost desperately. Her wound is presently unstageable as there is too much necrotic tissue. She also needs to be fed which we do but not sure they are doing even though they say they will but she often gets food all over her.
(0)

Riverdale, the should be information about how to contact the Ombudsman in the lobby of the facility, right next to the Patient's Bill of Rights.

My heart aches for you and your mom.

Do I recall you are in NC?

https://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/aging-and-adult-services/long-term-care-ombudsman-advocacy-residents-long-term-care-facilities
(2)

Exactly how do I find out about the ombudsman?
(0)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter