Follow

Today, just take a moment to remember those who were lost and died as heroes in the attacks on the twin towers. Remember where you were when you heard the news, the feeling of shock and terror you felt, the thousand of lives that were sacrificed.

We whine and complain about the tasks that we all do on a daily basis that do not compare to the loss felt around the world on September 11, 2001 and the recovery that continues in these very tumultuous times.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
On 9/11, I was scheduled to go on a drive vacation with my parents to the Oregon Coast, and at around 5:30am, my son called to say TURN ON THE NEWS there is something Big, happening in New York City, so we did, just in time to see the second plane hit the Twin Towers. It was Madness, watching as they both eventually desingrated into the ground before our very eyes. A couple of hours of watching the horrors of the news, so saddened over the many who had needlessly lost their lives, terrified that at any minute, our own city could be attacked, I headed over to my parents home, once there, continuing to watch the news, trying to figure out if we should procede with our planned trip, and if it would even be safe, as what would happen if the attacks should start in Seattle, and we would be away from our Loved Ones. Finally at about noon, we finally decided to go ahead with our original plans anyways, and left heading South on our car trip. Driving on the freeway, through the city of Seattle, there was hardly a car on the road, very eerie, and not a plane in the sky, which was very strange, as we passed by the exit for our very busy International Airport. Listening to the news on the car radio, driving in near silence, as we were so ingrossed in hearing what was going on in the world. We did our best to enjoy our holiday, but it was so nice to come home safe to our Loved ones, but nothing would ever be right in the world there after as 9/11 has affected all of our lives in one way or another, but mostly in the way in which we hug our family a little longer, and tell them that we love them a little more often, as you just never know anymore, what might happen.
(1)

To garden artist,it was a physical ordeal for me...I was so exhausted when I finally got home....but it does not match by far the physical ordeal those people who were trapped in those towers felt.May they all rest in peace.M 🐬
(1)

D1: BIG SHOUT OUTS TO YOU!
(0)

Yes, I know that those ship captains did EXTRAORDINARY work on that day, September 11, 2001! Huge thank yous go out to them!
(0)

D1...(numbers and letters) - that's quite a moving testimonial. 12 hours walking home? That must have been a physical ordeal for you.
(0)

9/11. Boat Lift!
The little told story of what happened next is the focus of my documentary short film, BOATLIFT, narrated by Tom Hanks. The film premiered at the Center for National Policy’s 9/11 Ten Year Anniversary Summit, in Washington, D.C.

BOATLIFT is the story of the largest maritime evacuation in history.

On 9/11, over 500,000 people were rescued from Manhattan’s seawalls in just nine hours. How did this happen? What heroism made this possible? The answer lies in the resilience of the every day people at the scene that day, and the brave community of mariners who ply the waters of New York’s Harbor.

As the buildings fell, hundreds of tugboats, ferries, fishing boats, coast guard cutters and other vessels rushed towards the disaster. They did so at great personal risk. James Parese, the captain of the Staten Island Ferry, assumed he might be next. “We’re a big orange target in the middle of that harbor.”
(0)

Never forget 9/11/2001...fifteen year anniversary♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
(0)

I'm proud to be an American🇺🇸On 9/11,it was a day to test who loved America and who didn't.I was in Manhattan on that day.I saw things,on that day,that weren't even broadcast.I heard the screams.I smelt the ash and musk.I was part of this historic day.i saw what being an American is like.After I crossed the Manhattan bridge,which took me 2 1/2 hours,it enters into a area called Flatbush,in Brooklyn.I saw all the store owners set up tables and chairs,for the weary walkers.These chairs and tables were used by all kind of people.It didn't matter what skin color it was,your religion,your gender,rich or poor.....we are all Americans first.We are helpful and respectful to each other because we are Americans.Yes,there were a lot of screams and tears that day,but there were also hugs and helpful people helping everyone and anyone who needed assistant.On those table were bunches of white Dixie cups of water and paper plates with crackers for crying babies,the elderly and the disabled.The streets were flooded with cups and crowds of Americans,trying to get back to their homes.I walked for 12 hours,back home,because all mass transit was restricted.I saw the true spirit of people,when it really counted.I saw people helping people.....Americans helping Americans because deep in our hearts,there is pride,respect and love for all mankind.All types of mankind.New York is known for its divisity,and on that historic day.....when you really have to get down to what is really important,we are all humans,we need to love,laugh and live among each other.Being an American is a gift from my parents,because I was born here.Being an American allows me to respect my flag and my country.On 9/11, there were almost 3000+ Americans that perished.But all of them were not forgotten.They were fathers,and mothers,and sisters and brothers.They were husbands and wives.They were all Americans and they will never be forgotten because they belonged to families that will forever keep their memories alive.
9/11 is "American day"🇺🇸.We should declare a national holiday for this day,so present generations and future generations will keep this American pride alive.Thank GOD I am an American and I'm proud to be one.Let's raise our flags,and wave them high🇺🇸.Do you agree with me? M🐬
PS.God bless all who was personally involved on this historic day.❤️
(3)

I still cannot believe this really happened, it was like viewing a really long movie. I remember an out of state friend had called me telling me to turn on the TV.... not long after that I saw the 2nd plane hit the second tower.... not longer after that the Pentagon was hit which was close to home for me. I was glued to the TV the whole time watching Peter Jennings.

Panic didn't set in for me until I heard and saw fighter jets going overhead. That is when I called my parents, who lived down the street, asking them if I could come over. Being with my parents gave me a calm as they weren't showing any fear of what was going on being we lived so close to Washington DC.
(4)

Yes today is twice memorable. It is also our 62 Wedding Anniversary and my husband has Lewy Body Dementia. Life does has a way of being meaningful.
(1)

2016. I remember.
(0)

i was bricking the front of a house in my hometown . bout 10 am , several military choppers went overhead very slowly , loudly , and purposefully . in hindsight i s'pose they were trying to show a sense of protection to the locals .
what was more interesting was , the next day i had a va appointment in indy . the trip was freaky in the respect that there were no aircraft in the sky .
whatever ..
its now 2016 and our govt and allies have been vaporizing many of the craziest people on this planet in their tracks for several years . capture or re - education dont seem to be considerations right now . these militant assholes are being assassinated from the air . i can totally dig it ..
(1)

I live in an independent living facility for U.S. veterans, their spouses and widows/widowers. We will have an outdoor ceremony this afternoon.
(2)

In memory of all the souls who who died so tragically in the towers. And the ones who gave and risked their lives to rescue the people who were trapped. Also the heroes on flight 93. We will never forget that day.
(4)

I was writing a packing list for my trip to the Algonquin Hotel where I was going to stay for my Manhattan friend's wedding, and staring in disbelief at my radio, when my friend's email saying TURN ON THE TV arrived. So I stood and stared in disbelief at the t.v. instead. When the second tower came down I remember saying no no no no and flapping helplessly.
(3)

Fifteen years ago just does bot seem possible. Now to look at our country. What has changed? Initially after this people did so mych to help people. Now there are attacks occorring so much more frequently than ever before. Stop for even just a moment today to appreciate what we do have, and remember all of those that were lost and their families.
(1)

I will never forget that morning. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families on this day. The strength and courage of those first responders and all the people that came to help is also to be noted.
(1)

This is an issue worth following, if you hadn't heard about it, the Zadroga act to provide benefits to emergency responders was set to expire... this guy John Feal led such a strong effort! change
(0)

Hi all, it's nice to find this post this morning! I usually spend all day thinking about it, reading things, etc., and I'm sure there's some portion of us who do. I hadn't heard about a memorial in Russia, but I do know about one in Israel, have you seen this? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_Living_Memorial_Plaza
(0)

Well said, guest. I'll never forget either.
(1)

THANK YOU GLAD!!!
(1)

25% of the people alive in U.S. Today are too young to remember exactly what happened. Yet they only know a world where shoes come off at airports, metal detectors at sports arenas and bags searched at entry points of concerts. Government could not censor it all too many phones etc. my son asked me why "they" hated us? I still have no answers. And the returning vets who were promised a hero's welcome and care are finding the same thing elderly caregivers are. Politicians talk but the money walks. Take care of yourselves and loved ones. We only have this moment.
(5)

It is unbelieveable now, as it was unbelieveable than. How vulnerable we actually are. I think many prefer to forget, are they in denial? Are other family members in denial of how sick our loved ones are? Maybe a bit too philosophical for this late in the evening. But, think about it. Sometimes it is easier to forget. I will never. And it has been a very sad day for me. If we watch the footage or read too many posts on numerous online sites then does it impact our state of mind too much? If you remember after 9/11 the government decided to censure much of the coverage because they had determined it was too hard on too many to be constantly inundated with information.
(2)

I watched a show last night about 9/10. It covered what people were doing the day before the day the world changed forever. It showed a lot about the people who worked at the Trade Center and survived and some who didn't.

I also watched the footage from 9/11 this morning at 9:00 a.m. I can't believe how long ago it's been. It still seems unreal.
(4)

It's very thoughtful of you to post a reminder. I actually had forgotten about it, and it did take a lot of years to reach that point. Every so often a tv program runs photos of the crashes and ensuing devastation and I find myself as unsettled from watching the returns as I did when it happened.

I remember where I was - at home; my sister called me and quickly told me about the first 2 attacks. I quickly turned on the tv and literally stayed glued to it all day long. It was almost impossible to believe if the coverage weren't live.

I wonder sometimes if we have become too complacent in our concern for what vulnerabilities we still have.
(2)

I just found out this year, that Russia made and installed this huge Tear Drop monument in New Jersey to honor those who died in 9/11. The base of this monument has the names of all those who died..... I have changed my avatar to reflect this Tear Drop monument.
(6)

Book, I posted there as well. That may be what others are doing. Just thought we could all use a reminder that things could be much, much worse!
(1)

Oops. Glad, I didn't realize you started this thread. I just did a long post (as usual) on the YOU thread. Too emotional to retype it here. Sorry...
(2)

Where were you on September 11, 2001?
(2)

NEVER FORGET!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter