Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Very appropriate - thank you for sharing.
(0)

Sense of humor goes a long way. My husband and I "sold pop" and then we returned the cans for the deposit so we could pay the bills. Another time we were trying to get her to take a shower (a favorite past time) but she didn't want to because she "had her period " at 80 years old. I'm sure there are many more, every day is different!
(4)

My Mom had this obsession that the mailman was reading her magazines and that is why the magazines were arriving a couple days late. I thought to myself, oh sure, the bearded older mailman was reading Mom's "Good Housekeeping" magazine.

So my parent got a post office box where they transferred all their mail. Thus back then they were still driving they would daily go to the post office box. Mom was happy that the mailman wasn't delivering the mail. I just had to ask her, who do you think is putting the mail in the post office box?
(1)

Val3rie I think it's the persons mind playing tricks on all of us! Lol these are great stories and Susan you are so right, a sense of humor makes all the difference! I think we all have these stories if we think about it but some of you are so good at telling them! Reading a few of these reminded me of my husbands grandmother who was 100 when she passed. It's not a funny story but it is touching and one that gives me piece and makes me smile each time I'm reminded of it. My father in law (her son) cared for her in his home for her last few years and for the most part her memory was good and her mind in the present but the last few weeks of her life every morning when he would go in when she woke up and she would tell him all about her "trip" the night before. She was taking a train trip every night and visiting her family all over the country and would tell my FIL all about who she saw and the visit. There were some nights she either woke in the middle of the night screaming or told him about it the next morning (I don't remember which) but she thought someone who meant her harm was standing over her on the train, those weren't fun stories but for the most part it was a really wonderful thing, she actually seemed to experience a last visit with each of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to say goodbye and eventually she came to the end of her journey and passed in her sleep, maybe on that train.
(2)

One time in the hospital Mom said, "See, they've got it set up in here like a haunted house to scare me." She said, "See that gargoyle over there?"

I was like, "Say what??" And she pointed to a disposable glove dispenser with a pair of gloves sticking out the top (I guess those were the wings).
(2)

Susansusan
I love it! My Mom has Alzheimer's, just had to place she and step-father in long term assisted living a few weeks ago. I must say that God has his hands on those caregivers; especially when it comes to my step-father....oye vey...and I'm not Jewish!
Both our daughter and myself use humor when things like this happen.
It's like really Mom, you think so and so did this? Well, you just sit tight and I'm going to set things straight right now! Nobody can come in here and mess with your things much less steal from you. Then I'd walk out and let the caregiver in on it and stand outside the door chastising the person so your Mom will think it's being taken care of by you. Then make sure they have extra supplies for her; that way you can come back in with a new jar of peanut butter.
See Mom, I took care of that! Any time you have a problem like this, you just let me know.
She'll be happy until the next time. It will be hard to keep from laughing.
People get way too serious about these conditions. I'm not saying that these issues are funny, but laughter is the best medicine....for you.
Statistics show that the more you can laugh about stressful situations, the better it is for you and your heart. What you have going on Susansusan should be looked at more like a prank. No one is being hurt and your Mom gets satisfaction. Then you and the caregiver can laugh about it when you're out of ear shot with Mom.

Laugh people. There isn't any harm with laughing and you're not going to help for doing it. Yes, it breaks our hearts, but wouldn't you rather remember the time when Mom or Dad did something like this and you were able to make that lemonade out of the lemons you're dealing with right now?,
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter