Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Mom frequently finds her toilet unflushed. She claims the staff at memory care are coming into her room (in her absence) to use her toilet and don't flush it. I don't challenge this! She also claims they steal her glasses, hearing aids, break her things, etc.
(9)

"isn't it curious how our parents will believe some else before believing us? "

Oh, yes. I'm just the Dummy Daughter Driver. The other day in the grocery store my mother didn't understand how she could buy 3 bottles of laundry detergent (buy 2 get 1 free on store special) plus use 2-$1 off 1 bottle coupons. She's the Coupon Queen (grew up during the Depression), but now she's finding it hard to actually figure out how to USE those coupons she incessantly clips. I TOLD her it was all good, that she would only pay for 2 of three bottles PLUS she would get $1 off each of THOSE bottles.

"So I have to buy another 3?" NO. Just could NOT understand. And of course I the Dummy Daughter couldn't POSSIBLY be right. So she asked a worker. When she started explaining it to us, I quickly told her that *I* understood, but that my mother thought I was stupid, so maybe SHE could explain it to her.

I resent wasting my time on this. She just won't give up control, and of course I the Dummy Daughter Driver can't possibly know what's going on.

A few months ago some of us were talking at the pool about our parents. My resentment about it is pretty obvious. One woman told me I shouldn't be doing any caregiving for my mother. BINGO! But I have no choice. So what I have done is set very strong boundaries on when I will take my shut-in mother out. I can't survive emotionally otherwise.
(12)

Yes, sometimes is either laugh or cry. Your post reminded me of one time, a few years back, when mom was still living on her own, but her paranoia had started getting worse.

My husband and I had just dropped her back off, as she had ridden to church with us. No sooner had we gotten home when mom called hysterical and in tears asking us to please come over now.

So we went back over there, and she had an overflowed, messy toilet, and was convinced someone had broken in to use her toilet and overflowed it on purpose! It was sad but at the same time, I had to try not to laugh at the thought of someone breaking in just to use the crapper!
(11)

JoAnn, isn't it curious how our parents will believe some else before believing us?
And they barely even know these people.
(9)

My problem was I couldn't laugh at my Mom. I felt it was disrespectful. My daughter, RN works with Dementia / Alz, kept saying its laugh or cry.

This one day at her AL she was up walking when I came in, without her walker. I asked her what she was doing and she said "looking for the baby). I explained there were no babies at the facility because it was all adults. She looked at the Medtech and said " if you tell me there are no babies I will believe you, I don't believe her". Gerry told her there were no babies and Mom said OK and went on her way.
(10)

Hi Susan,

Thank you for sharing with us. It definitely helps to see the lighter side and have a good sense of humor. Your mother is lucky to have you.
(9)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter