Do you know of seniors who are obsessed with the weather?

Follow

I have a family member, who is in her mid 70's, who is obsessed with the weather. She doesn't have dementia, but does have anxiety, socializes quite a bit, attends church, visits with friends, has fairly good health, though she has many psychologically induced ailments, HOWEVER, when it comes to the weather, it's like she is totally obsessed.

During the spring and summer she is constantly watching the weather reports and Weather channel, worrying about storms, wind, rain, lightning, etc. She is so over the top about it. She sits up all night if storms are predicted. Our entire family is aware of this and she knows that a lot of the younger ones roll their eyes and patronize her about it, as she is very verbal in warming others about storms. It really is concerning.

I suppose there isn't much that can be done. She refuses medication, which the doctor has prescribed for her anxiety and she is adamant that she doesn't want to end this obsession! lol I've never known of anyone else like this before.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
Elder obsessions is an interesting topic! What they were interested in at a younger age just becomes more focused and persistent, I guess. In my mother's case, she is obsessed with Vitamin B6 currently. She's always been interested in health issues (and believes anything and everything can be cured with a pill or vitamin). She was diagnosed with Vitamin B6 toxicity (neuropathy), and now she is on a mission to make anyone and everyone knows about how bad the drug companies are for putting B6 in their formulations (she must have been an extreme outlier to get toxicity with the amount in her Centrum Senior vitamin due to some strange quirk in her metabolism). She talks about it to anyone and everyone.

I am just bemused...so much better than the bowel movement obsessions some elders have!
(1)

Thanks. What's so bothersome is that in the south, we get quite a few thunderstorms in the winter too. So, it's not just a summertime issue. I've watched lightning while it was SNOWING here. Bizarre.
(1)

I'll amend the above comment. I hope she does well when the days get shorter.
(1)

Wait until DST ends and the days get shorter. That should be fun.
(0)

Thanks all for the amusing stories.

I have even better news. Today, we had a pretty severe storm. Lots of lightning, however, my mom did very well. She didn't obsess and she never cried out, like she normally does each time the thunder sounds. It HAS to be the medication that's helping her.
(2)

I have had my share of weather obsessions. Mother and I lived with an older couple and the lady of the house was terrified of thunderstorms. She lit a candle and went into the cupboard under the stairs where by coincidence the booze was kept!
More recently when we had the horse farm there were many weather worries. Is it going to rain on the hay they just cut? Will it stop raining so they can cut the hay? is the blizzard too bad to turn the horses out? Can I even get to the barn the snow is three feet deep? Later on when I was working for hospice my weather worries were all in the winter. Praying there would not be any calls that night because it was ten below and snowing. Now I just sit in the house and throw another log in the stove. Bliss to be retired.
Anyone who enjoys the old British comedies will remember Mrs Bale from "As time goes by" who always announced the latest shipping forecast before telling the family that the meal would be served in 4 and a half minutes.
As an aside Dame Judy Dench has early dementia and has difficulty remembering her lines this days.
(2)

As obsessions go, weather doesn't seem so bad, but I suppose even doing a random act of kindness each day could be disturbing if one obsesses over it enough.

My husband Coy asked every morning what the temperature was. Sometimes I teased him. "It is 72 in here, and we are going to stay in all day." But I think knowing the outside temperature oriented him a bit. If it was 22 out, he knew not to wear shorts, and if it was 88 he wouldn't wear sweat pants, even inside. The temperature meant more to him than seasons during his dementia.

He loved "interesting" weather. He'd open the big garage door and sit on a folding chair during storms. He would only reluctantly join me in the basement if there was a tornado warning for the area.

I have read entries in the diaries of two of my farmer aunts. Each and every day starts with the temperature and a weather note. "84, dry wind" "28, snowing" I wouldn't say either was obsessed with the weather, but it was simply a factor in their lives.

If you live in Tahiti, weather is probably not something you think much about. It is pretty much the same every day. You don't need a five-day forecast! But in variable climates, most of us have some interest in the weather.

Sunnygirl1, I am very happy for you and for Mother that some medications are helping her!
(2)

Oh, I may should have included on this thread that her stroke like symptoms came as she was freaking out over a storm. A tornado had touched down in a neighboring town and it freaked her out. It was so intense between her and my dad who had joined in, that I had to leave the room. Soon they called 911 due to her stroke like symptoms. MRI showed no stroke. Thankfully, it was a false alarm, but the weather obsession is not healthy, based on what I have seen. At least not to the degree that she had it.
(0)

I had no idea this issue was so prevalent!

BigHole, I get what you've gone through. It's very surreal. I do have SOME GOOD NEWS! For some of you, you may know that my mom went on meds for depression/anxiety a couple of weeks ago. This was after a trip to the ER with stroke like symptoms. It's still early, but she seems to be doing better! Her physical ailment complaints are way down and she doesn't mention the weather as much. We have had a few storms, but she didn't act out the way she normally does. We are due for some bad ones soon, so, time will tell, but, I think the meds are really helping. Knock on wood and hallelujah!
(1)

I have seven weather related bookmarks on my browser, there were a couple more but I decided I could always google that stuff ;)
(1)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions