Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My dad is similar, but with regard to charities. I am absolutely fine with him donating, but reasonable amounts (i.e. $25 to $100). He is giving thousands of dollars away, to the point that he balks at spending on his medical needs and a birthday gift for my daughter (his only grandchild). He lives with us, and I provide 24/7 care for him. When I ask for gas money for his appointments, he says, "You're not including any of this money for your own car uses, are you?" He is stingy with us to the point of being ungrateful. His priest came to our house (uninvited) in the fall right after my dad was released from the hospital and persuaded him to donate $10,000. The priest then came over unannounced again and called our house several times until my dad sent the pledge card in. (I nearly reported this to our archdiocese for being on the verge of unethical and heavyhanded.) Again, donations are fine, but my dad is NOT Bill Gates. What scares me is that no one is going to donate to us/him when he needs continued treatment down the road, and his money is gone. I, too, have POA, but I don't want to cause a rift. Does a POA have the right to use a reasonable amount of money to cover expenses? Again, my dad is living with us, and I perform all errands for him.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter