Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
We care for my Mil who has lived with us for 2.5 yrs s she has Vascular dementia she has started either putting used toilet paper in a bowl in bathroom or using towel to wipe that's twice we found dirty towel.Washing has very rare as well and wiping wrong way as well any suggestions I am going crazy and so is husband ?
(1)

We care for my Mil who has lived with us for 2.5 yrs s she has Vascular dementia she has started either putting used toilet paper in a bowl in bathroom or using towel to wipe that's twice we found dirty towel.Washing has very rare as well and wiping wrong way as well any suggestions I am going crazy and so is husband ?
(1)

When they don't recognize toilet paper, get some wipes and it becomes your responsibility. My mom doesn't use it right anymore, so she often grabs a washrag and wets it. Glad she is still trying. She will rinse it out herself when done.
(0)

What a nightmare trying to find any info about this i live and look after my aunt she hides soiled toilet paper under pillow up her sleeves in drawers with all her lovely clothes in kitchenbin trousers and dressinggown pockets the other day was under kettle she also took toilet paper out her pocket and was ready to blow her nose i caugght her in time i can clean the toilet 20 times a day as she also self evacuates so poo everywhere sometime she washes her hands but mostly wipes on towels the other day i started taking pictures to show healthcare professionals my aunties name is annie and such a funny kind lady and i just dont know what to do she was in hospital a few weeks ago for a week i told every nurse i spoke to about this and they said they would pass this info on but hey ho here i am still waiting for help and advice she is a proud lady of 90yrs she love wee holidays but i take my own towel etc with us its actuly easier when we go away as we are confinde to one room unlike at home its the whole house that can be contaminated so any help out there to help manage this willbe appriciated god bless to all xxx my name is maureen x
(1)

Stock your bathroom with flushable wet wipes and disposable plastic gloves. Go into the bathroom with her each and every time. You take responsibility for her cleanliness. Sorry.

(Tell her "Now that you are 90 and have such delicate skin, it is especially important to get cleaned very carefully. I'll help you with that from now on.")

After thoroughly washing her hands, put some nice-smelling lotion on.

Washclothes make nice reusable but single-use towels. One use and they go into the hamper.
(2)

My mom is 95 and wet wipes are not on her radar, I have had them in her bathroom. But bar soap and towels she understands but doesn't always use soap and water, just wipes poopy hands on towels. I wash things all the time, but not sure I always catch her hands in time.
(2)

Toilet paper and dementia: Mom is 95 yrs over wipes causing a rash or hemorrhoids. Seems other folks with parents face same issue. Positive is that mom can wipe herself and some reassurance that she is always clean can help. Also a reminder with dementia that purpose is to protect their skin so they stop over wiping. Observing mom a pattern develops where caregivers can assist in leaving enough to make parent secure that they have enough TP yet limit toilet stoppage and overflow.
(0)

My father is 62 and compared to most here, we are a young family dealing with the nightmare that is dementia. We are also having problems with the bathroom. Dad Used to keep TP in his pocket and laundry used to be a mess...we are more vigilant in checking clothes and started washing his seperate. He also uses about a roll of TP per day. For everything. But now it's the water that he's fixated on. Uses Faucet water - for his hair, to throw on the mirror (cleans with TP) and wash hands. Toilet water- Flushes the toilet multiple times per visit to BR, washes hands and to wet his hair. He goes into the BR a lot. The solution we need are mostly for the toilet. Sanitation, health and water conservation are the big concerns. Is there some type of lock to put on toilet to keep him from flushing? Also is there a way to prevent him from sticking his hands in there?
(0)

My husband for a long time had this problem. He simply did not know to put the toilet paper in the toilet after finished using it. Usually only one tiny section of TP at a time. On the floor. On the sink by the toilet. Thrown in the tub. Tucked into the toilet paper roll itself. Pretty difficult. But, I realized about that time that he did not understand the process any long and that I had to help him. So I have been taking care of that for the last uple of years. The sad thing is tho', it is worse now. Because he does not even know what a toilet is. And on top of that he is afraid of it. The floor is his first choice to pee. I try the best I can to catch him before. Had the carpet taken out of the bedrooms today. Will live on concrete floors until I am able to put in vinyl flooring. It is tough but you can do it. Just close your eyes, swallow hard, think a happy thought, try not to upchuck, and take care of the task at hand.
(1)

Funny thread, but true. My mom us the toilet paper bandit...and has been for years. She stashed it everywhere like gold from Fort Knox. I have to go behind her and reclaim the booty. I feel like Captain Morgan in my own place...lol

She stuffs her bag with tons of tissue. If I ask her why she has so much tissue, she simply replies: "Why? Something wrong with that?" That's her phrase for everything. =]

I do have to go behind her everytime she uses the bathroom because it's something different every time she comes out. It' either shredded tissue all over the floor or it's little roles of it strewn from the foot mat to the base of the toilet.

She grunts a lot when in there...so it concerns me but maybe it's just her trying to do something...who knows?

She never washes her hands which is a gross out so I give her a damp paper towel and she uses that. then she'll wipe her face and neck with it. That grinds my gears but I remind myself she doesn't understand what she's doing at this stage in her life fully.

It's rough to go behind her so much, but I tried to trust her for a few days...didn't work. You have to respond like she's a child in ways. So I stay on my grind to make sure my place is spic and span until I take her home in the evenings.

Boy, she really loves tissue. I think it's from days before when older women carried tissue in their bags for everything...lol
(2)

cdc, just an extension of what was considered perfectly sensible behavior. My mother always carried her own tissue in case there was none in a public toilet. She often had to use it too! I don't have it in my purse but i have a small box of tissue in my car.
(1)

Pretty much same issues except my mom goes through four rolls of TP per day or more-unless its monitered
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter