Follow

She was up most of the day. Happy and giggling with my daughter. I made her chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans and a brownie for dessert and she ate every last bit of it. She was acting so much like my mom. I thought wow..maybe the meds are helping her. But then at sundown she starts talking about someone coming for her. I asked her who? She says she was suppose to get out of here. I tell her mom, you live here. Then it all starts.
She thinks she can get up and walk downtown. I tell her go ahead..but if you need my help I am here for you. She struggles for about an hour trying to get out of her chair. Because she doesn't believe me when i tell her she is 91. She exhausts herself and I approach her again and ask if I can help her. She finally gives and lets me help her to her room..she can't hardly walk or stand. We get her to bed and she looks a little defeated. I tuck her in and give her a kiss on the cheek and tell her i love her. She smiles and says good bye. So much for the great day.
As for me...i am going to go soak in a hot bath and then go to bed. I hope we sleep tonight.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
The soak in a hot bathtub sounds so nice. Glad you had a great day even if it ended at sundown. Good times make it a lot easier.
(2)

Yes I do agree...it was so nice to see a little bit of her again. She has been in a solid slumber all day long now. I'm sure it was all the exertion of trying so hard to do it by herself. She hasn't had any medications since late last night. I sure hope that we get more sleep tonight. But I'm not counting on it too much...by the looks of things, its going to be a lonnnnnnnnnnng night. ;)
(2)

I'm so glad you had a good day with Mom ... you were overdue for it! And even if it didn't last all day, it was good while it lasted, right?
(1)

I've learned with my mother-in-law and her dementia, to just live in the moment. I can take her places that she loves, and an hour later she has forgotten them. BUT for the moment, she knew what she was doing, and how much she enjoyed doing it. It brought her happiness for the moment, and that's what counts at this point in her life. I believe that some of her family have kinda given up on taking her places or putting themselves out there for her, because she won't remember the things they did for her, so why bother. But I disagree. Gotta seize the moments that come along, like the one you had with your mom, and thank God for what you DO have with her. Once she's gone there won't be anymore of those 'moments', so relish what you can. But at the same time, don't expect it to be anymore then what they are.... moments when you had your mom back again.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter