Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Alegria, at first I thought the article would be a fear-mongering anti-tech rant, but I was surprised at the connections between 5G and health.   

I recall when cell phones were still fairly new, before they literally became as basic to some people as shoes, that there was concern about the battery in the cell phone being so close to the brain.    I haven't read much about that lately, but to me it's an unresolved issue, so I use ear buds just to be on the safe side.

If a 5G network really is a causal factor, I would anticipate a lot of resistance and denial from the tech industry.   I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Thanks for sharing this.
(2)

What if the C virus is not the cause of the deaths in Wuhan, China but rather an oxygen-deprivation side-effect of the 5G network that was installed in Wuhan beforehand free-of-charge as a pilot program ?
 https://youtu.be/CtfqUtW_8AA

https://www.wakingtimes.com/2020/02/18/the-coronavirus-5g-connection-and-coverup/
(1)

TN,

Me too! I have severe allergies and asthma. I have been hospitalized for my asthma. Yeah, I always feel that everything has to be clean. I get why you do too. Thanks for responding.
(0)

I had a traveling job for a couple of decades and when traveling the first thing I always did upon checking into a hotel room was to use a Clorox cleaning cloth to "clean" the phone and all the most touch surfaces (remote control, switches, faucet handles, bedside tabletop, desktop and drawer pulls). I wiped down the lap desk and arms of airline seats too. Due to my asthma and allergies, I took my own pillow cases which I placed over hotel pillows and a small throw blanket I pulled up to my face.

During peak flu periods, I clean the condiment bottles in many restaurants; there's a big difference between the previous customers handling the condiment bottles and the restaurant staff handling the plates and food.

To control my asthma while traveling I took lots of immune suppressing medications. I caught a couple of colds and the flu once during all the travel.
(1)

Jada,

My husband and daughters aren’t as bad either but they know if they help me cook they better wash their hands!

Oh, and don’t even think about tasting and putting the spoon back in! Yuck! Use a separate dish for serving.

Don’t eat out of the fridge and expect me to eat behind you!!! I can’t do it. I will starve first. If I ever caught anyone drinking out of a bottle or carton in the fridge I would freak!

I will try the kicking then toilet thing. I have used my sleeve too to protect myself. Hahaha.

Feel better, Jada 💗
(1)

CM,

YES!!! Why can’t everyplace do automatic flush toilets? We have some but older places don’t have them. Perfect solution.

Ever see those videos where a toilet flushes and the spray particles hit toothbrushes? Gross!!! My toothbrush is far away from the toilet! Hahaha 😂
(2)

Freeway!

Phew, that was a senior moment...
(3)

Need, at service stations on our major motorways (can't remember the US equivalent, tsk! - big roads, anyway) they started installing the touch-free flushes a while ago. You just sort of wave your hand near where the arrow points and whoosh goes the water! Oo! Bit eerie, I found it. I felt as if I were signalling some kind of control room somewhere and they must have been watching.
(4)

NeedHelpWithMom
I’m a germ freak too. I will only use public restrooms if I absolutely have to & will flush the toilet with my foot. If I can’t push the door with my arm, I will use a paper towel to open it.

Now with the Corona Virus I’m so afraid to touch the shopping cart........ I pull the sleeves of my jacket down to grab it to push it into the store where the disinfectant wipes are.

But even with all that, I just got some kind of bug since my husband & son aren’t are germaphobic as me!
(2)

Needtowashhair,

Wow! What a bathroom! Is that common in Japan? Talk about automated! That’s fantastic designing. My husband is an engineer. He’s in upper management now but I remember his days designing for the ‘smart home.’

See, I know what you are saying about bacteria but I have been programmed to be a ‘germ freak’ since a young child. Habits are hard to break.
(1)

CM,
Never never would I open doors with my elbows!

But my husband does, as he opens the doors for me. Lol.
(2)

First, let me say that it's shameful and dangerous that the current administration has politicized the CDC. That has never happened before. Things like this have always been above the fray. Now the CDC has been muzzled and they have to get their statements approved by the White House. This happened because the CDC director corrected some of the misinformation coming out of the White House. Politics has no place in disease prevention. Now, I simply can't trust statements coming out of the CDC.

I too am a big hand washer. I also use plenty of hand sanitizer. While alcohol hand sanitizers aren't as good as washing, they are better than nothing.

GA, it's not hand sanitizers destroying good bacteria contributing to people with less immune resistance. It's showering destroying the good bacteria. It's becoming increasingly clear, this everyday showering that's become the fad in the last few decades is bad for you not good. I posted a link to a study concerning the diversity of the body's microbiome in the various how often to bathe threads.

As for bathroom flushing, my favorite bathroom for that of all time was at a bus stop in Japan. It was a complete no touch bathroom. Well other than the seat if that's your thing. But the robot toilet cleaned that seat first for you. The robotic toilet also raised the lid, washed your private parts, dried you and flushed. The sink automatically turned on the water, automatically dispensed soap and automatically dried your hands. Now all this smart toilet cleaning your private parts is not all good. It's possible to be too clean. You need a good microbiome down there. There is a syndrome in Japan that people are too clean. The solution is to layoff the bidet for a while.
(3)

BTW, I'm excited to learn that the Tulane University is doing virus testing, particularly given the information constraints placed on the CDC, as well as the underfunding that also will challenge research.
(2)

Hand sanitizers are helpful for away from home needs, but they do have negative aspects as well, as Tired & Weary points out.   And I agree with using  your foot to flush; you can turn around and avoid flushing spray more quickly than if you lean over the toilet to flush, or even stand by the side.   (I'm referring to toilets on the pipes as opposed to those just below the tank top, in commercial places). 

I thought the hand wipes available in grocery stores were an excellent way to protect oneself against whatever a former user might have left.    Some shoppers make me vvery uncomfortable, especially the ones who handle packages of raw meat, even if the packages are run through on a conveyor belt and automatically wrapped.

Wondering about the rapid spread of the Coronavirus, I've often wondered if the issue of hand sanitizers destroying  good bacteria has contributed to masses of people with less immune resistance.

Or perhaps it's also b/c so many people today don't interact with nature, but instead spend more time playing with tech devices and don't build up resistance just by being stronger.   

There's no question that this is a frightening situation.
(2)

Sendhelp.....That made me laugh!
(2)

It is bad enough to go to the grocery store and be near sick people coughing and sneezing.
I just would hate having an infected monkey in my back yard!
(5)

NeedHelp, use your foot to flush!! It keeps you limber too. LOL!
You know, they do say people's coffee tables are more disgusting than anything else in their house. They tend to come home and prop their feet on them. I do take my shoes off though!

I think hand sanitizers tend to kill the beneficial bacteria and also cause bacteria on your skin to get out of balance. We are covered in beneficial bacteria but they keep each other in line. Let one get out of balance and you have problems. One of the reasons you can get a yeast infection (and thrush) when you take antibiotics. Ok so that is yeast but it is there all the time. The "good" stuff keeps it in balance and you have problems when the "good" stuff gets wiped out. We need the yeast too, though! Same with Staph. We have that already but when it's out of whack, you can get an issue. In other words, it takes a microbiome to keep us healthy!
(3)

Tired,

I agree. I don’t like sanitizers on a regular basis either because from what I have read and heard, they aren’t as good as soap and warm water. I think doctors should wash up to their elbows like in the old days.

Okay, between you and countrymouse I will attempt to hold a bathroom door, not sure that I can push the toilet handle without a tissue though.
(3)

I'm a hand washer but totally against hand sanitizer and sanitizing your entire environment. People who go that far are causing more harm than good. It's one thing to use them every once in a while, but not on a regular basis. I'm actually horrified that hospitals use hand sanitizer instead of just soap and water! I worked in microbiology and virology so not totally dumb on the subject of viruses and bacteria. I have an acquaintance who wouldn't touch a door knob or condiment bottle in a restaurant without wrapping something around it, yet she didn't have a problem eating from the plate her food was on. It went over her head that the plate had been touched by human hands also! Her children were even trained to immediately use hand sanitizer anytime they got in or out of the car. They all stayed sick all the time! Our bodies are amazing machines, if we let operate they way they are designed. Our immune systems really do a great job. It's good to be clean, but don't go overboard!
(4)

Hahaha, I do that CM, the door handle thing, along with not touching toilet handles in public places. I grab a piece of toilet paper to use as a barrier so I don’t have to touch the handle. In the grocery store I wipe the handle on the cart down with an antibacterial wipe. I have issues, don’t I?
(1)

Very! I am the sort of person who is delighted to see hand-washing technique diagrams pinned over sinks in wash rooms and will amuse myself following them step by step.

I met a lovely lady not long ago, in her nineties, whose father had been a surgeon in the Great War; and she learned her hand-washing technique from him (no latex gloves for him, let alone nifty silicon ones). She told me that once she had been in the ladies' room at a restaurant and noticed that the woman standing next to her about to dry her own hands was watching her. The woman stopped, returned to the basin, and washed her hands over again.

I do use hand gels too but I am not a fan of them. A stout nail brush, soap, water and clean towels or paper towels, please.

But also - you have to be a bit practical and accept that your hands are still going to be covered in microorganisms. We do not (we could not) live in a sterile environment. If you get to the point where you're trying to open doors with your elbows you've probably gone too far.
(5)

Let’s hear from fellow germ freaks like myself.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter