Follow

We are hoping to get the ball rolling on having his markers placed for his radiation treatments.

Haven’t heard back from his nurse yet.

So sick of these hurricanes!!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Alva,

That was actually a good idea for you to record it. Lealonnie suggested to write notes. I will do that. We do get foggy and distracted at times when stressed.

Thankfully, the nurse is patient and doesn’t mind repeating her answers to us. She was very sweet. She returns phone calls the same day when we leave messages.

She let me know when to get my car to pull up front for my husband to be wheeled out to the car.

He came home and napped for a long while. I’m glad that he rested. I took a short nap but my phone woke me up.

I’m going to sleep at a decent hour this evening. I just ordered sushi and soup take out. Will pick it up in just a few minutes.
(1)

In answer to is it easier? Being in the know medically? Sometimes yes, often no. I think when I knew my cancer had spread to two nodes I already had my shovel out digging my own grave, because I was certain if in my lymph I was a dead woman. Yet here I am, 34 years later. I knew some things more, so it made some treatments easier, maybe. I don't think it makes much difference, to tell the truth. You speak of not really hearing or absorbing, and I couldn't either. I had to take a friend AND a tape recorder (yeah, back in the day; now your phone could do it) in order to grasp all they were saying. Your ears just kind of close and your mind goes blank, and everything floats on out the window. I don't think it helped a whole lot being in some branch of medicine.
(2)

Pam,

You actually read my mind. I feel drained and don’t really feel like cooking. I’m going to get take out and do the shopping tomorrow. I think I will pick up sushi.

I fell asleep for a bit while my husband was napping, then 5 people called me, my daughters and three of my friends. So I chatted with them for a bit.

Everyone wants to chat about the recent storm. Hot topic because we have had a record amount of hurricanes this year. Enough already with the storms, right?

I have had those print outs before. They are a help. This nurse is phenomenal. She returns all phone calls from patients and answers any questions. I really like her.
(3)

Need alot of the time they will give you a printout of directions, what will help. And as for dinner, nothing wrong with delivery or carry out from the deli in your grocery for the next day or two. Take care of both of you.
(1)

Lea,

I meant to bring a notepad with me. I was rushing this morning. I hadn’t had my coffee. Didn’t have the time.

Next time I am going to throw a notepad in my purse.

Thanks.
(0)

Listen, call the doctor's office back & write everything down about what to watch out for after this procedure and when to get him to the ER if need be. It's hard to be totally focused on such things when nerves/emotions are raw, so I hear you on that! I'm BIG on writing things down otherwise they FLY out of my head immediately. Make sure you know what to keep an eye out for now, you know? There is a big difference between needless 'worrying' and being prepared to deal with an emergency should one arise *which it probably will not*.

Good luck. Sending prayers your way.
(1)

They gave my husband Ativan for his procedure. The nurse was really thorough in explaining everything but if I am anxious sometimes I unintentionally tune out and drift into my own thoughts.

I know that I didn’t catch everything that she said. She gave warnings if this or that happens to get to the ER but said it is rare to have complications from this procedure so I am not going to worry about it.

I have had to deprogram myself not to worry because my parents were excess worriers and it was stressful. I used to worry like they did. It’s learned behavior. I don’t ever want any anxiety to get out of control.

The nurse said that my husband would be relaxed for awhile and to rest for the rest of the day. No heavy lifting or anything strenuous.

He won’t be over extending himself. He has mostly been working at home since Covid but took the day off. Every now and then he goes into the office.

His company has strict restrictions due to Covid. He used to travel quite a bit before Covid, including international travel. All of that has ceased. They do have a manufacturing plant in China. He did travel there before Covid hit. The headquarters are in New York.

There isn’t any food or drinks in my fridge at all because of the power outage with Hurricane Zeta. We had to throw everything away. I will have to go to the store later. I don’t feel like it. I just feel drained.

I will get the basics at the store for easy dishes.
(3)

Alva,

Can you tell me if it is easier for people like you that have medical training?

Sometimes I feel so ignorant about the human body and how it all works.
(1)

NeedHelp, it was a long time ago. 34 years out now. At the time I got it my daughters were raised and that was something to be VERY VERY happy about. And I am very very lucky to be here now 34 years later. Tough that it is, there are things you learn about life, and what matters. You can get through so much more than you think you can. Honestly the fear of things is worse than dealing with them. I still remember BEFORE I dot sick, do chart audits and looking and fearing, just dreading. The experience was different than the dread.
(1)

Alva,

I cant imagine how hard that is. The closest I came was finding a mass after I gave birth.

My young children were at home. I went in for my first mammogram and they found a solid mass.

Had the biopsy but it was benign. I was filled with relief.

All I could think about was my husband raising our daughters without me. It’s scary.

You got the bad news that you had cancer. I just can’t imagine how that feels.
(0)

NeedHelp, I think the person who is our partner when we are fighting cancer has it almost more hard. We are busy dealing, fighting, and we get real self-absorbed. I remember when they tried to kill me off with fear once, by telling me, a year after the mastectomy, that xrays shows shadows they "didn't like" in my lung and I needed a CT scan. I was pretty certain I was a dead woman, and boy, until it was all done and they said "It was nothing; nothing there" I just didn't know anyone else existed. I didn't think much about that gentle man at my side, so stoic and ever-present. After being told I was fine we didn't even make it out of the hall outside radiation before we ended up weeping in one another's arms with him telling me "We have more time; we have more time together". It is soooooo hard for the one who waits.
(1)

Thanks, everyone.

I am in the waiting room. I didn’t realize how much I blocked everything out before.

Since my husband had to get an injection awhile back and then there is the waiting period before the markers are placed, it didn’t seem real yet.

Now that he is actually having the procedure and the appointments are being set up for radiation treatments I find myself concerned because now things are happening.

Is that normal to block things out before hand? I didn’t want to dwell on it but then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I tried to listen carefully to the nurse today but I know I didn’t catch it all. I guess my husband heard everything. The same goes for when the doctor came in to talk to us.

I asked the doctor where I should wait for my husband and he told me to ask the nurse because he does whatever the nurses tell him to do and that he would find me after the nurse tells him where I was waiting.

The nurse said by the time this is over that my husband is going to hate water. Apparently, he has to have a full bladder at each visit.

My husband has always been a person to drink water. I am the big coffee drinker. Neither of us drinks coke or other soft drinks. I miss the coffee served while in waiting areas. That was cut out when Covid arrived.

Alva, I guess you’re right. I didn’t want my husband to worry about me being concerned but it is a part of love.

I will try to talk to him instead of suppressing my feelings.

They are referring to the markers to determine where the radiation goes, “gold seeds.”

The nurse is lovely. She is compassionate and is explaining everything in detail as we move forward in this process.
(4)

NeedHelp, be free to tell your hubby when you are worried. Just tell him you love him and are concerned; that you will be right THERE. I always remember my brother, before a procedure, looking at me saying "To tell the truth I am a little concerned" and I laughed right out and said "Me TOO, and when the two of us are 'a little concerned' it means we are SCARED TO DEATH". Until Dee's death we faced everything like Hansel and Gretel in the Forest of life, hands held. It's OK to be scared. It's part of love. Keep us posted. We are all thinking of you.
(0)

NHWM - thinking of you and hubby, hope the procedure is able to be done and goes (went?) well!!
(1)

Hugs, Need. I will stop complaining to myself about the "filthy weather" I was having to drive through last night!

So are you all set for tomorrow's (today's, now) procedure? Take some treats for both of you, and a good book, and a blanket (for comfort/cushioning, if not for warmth).

There's nothing wrong with asking what time you should expect to be taking him home, by the way - it's not like it's a rude question. I should ask when you check in if I were you.
(1)

You have my prayers too. Hope that this will be the last storm this year. I haven't been too much lately, so I'm sorry to hear of your DH's situation. Stay safe.
(1)

Thanks, Pam.

That makes me feel better.
(0)

Good luck NHWM,, I will be praying for you both!
(1)

Why am I feeling anxious about my husband's procedure tomorrow? I was ready to get started on preparing for the radiation and now I find myself a bit nervous. I don't want my husband to know how I feel. I want to support him as he goes through all of this.

They are suppose to sedate him before placing the markers. I will be driving him home. I don't know how long any of this takes. The nurse is supposed to explain it all to me.
(0)

Update, we made it home. We have tree branches in our driveway and yard. That is always the case with a storm.

Will start on emptying out the fridge and freezer. Minor issue.
(3)

Thank you so much.
(1)

Prayers that he can get started.

My bil had this treatment earlier in the year, right during the pandemic, and is doing great. Last PSA test numbers were down.

Wishing you guys nothing but the best with the treatment!!
(1)

Thanks. Will do.
(1)

Prayers will be offered!

NHWM; my ex just went through radiation and hormone treatments for this type of cancer and now has osteoporosis. Please ask DH's doc about calcium supplements. (((((hugs)))))))
(1)

Will update later. Thanks, Alva.

Hurricanes and tropical storms aren’t unusual for the coastal areas but this year has been more active than the norm.
(0)

Thoughts and hoping for you. I heard this is the latest for a major hurricane in 100 years. So much chaotic weather change. Hoping this gets done today. Let us know.
(1)

I have been hanging in there, trying to remain positive but now I find myself feeling anxiety.

Headed back to New Orleans after evacuating. Will have to throw food out of freezer and fridge due to power outage.

Hope that we don’t have wind damage to our property.

Oh well...that’s life in Louisiana!
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter